HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 7:29 PM
Pay it Forward

'Go back to California,' scrawled on transplants' new home in Portland

Quote:
The words "Go Back to California" were scrawled on the car and home of a California couple who moved to Portland

POSTED: JUL 03 2017 08:52AM PDT
UPDATED: JUL 03 2017 11:00AM PDT

PORTLAND, Oregon (KTVU) - A Southern California couple who moved to Portland, and who likely angered their new neighbors over traffic on their narrow street, were the targets of vandalism - the words "Go Back to California" scrawled in their home and car.

According to KPTV, Preston Page and Jessica Faraday moved from Hollywood, California to Portland's Hollywood district about four months ago. Portland is one of the hottest spots for California transplants, looking for a laid-back lifestyle with cheaper home prices.

They were shocked to find spray-painted words of hate written across their property on Sunday morning.
"To step into the driveway, spray paint the side of the house, spray paint the front door... that felt like a major violation," Faraday told the Fox station in Portland...
http://www.ktvu.com/news/265455514-story

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 7:55 PM
Never Dell

This has been a common refrain among nimbys in Northwest cities for a few decades at least. But it's usually very low key. So one guy does something stupid and suddenly it's a news story? One guy's drunken rant shouldn't be news. Or maybe the goal was to get the TV news viewers to latch onto it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 8:47 PM
Meh

It happens here, too, though, no vandalism, but I have been accused of being from California whenever I don't condemn urban development here. Then I shut them up by letting them know I'm 4th generation Texan and a lifelong Austinite that was born in San Antonio. It is kind of funny, though, whenever we have our former meets and I turn out to be one of the only native Austinites in the group. lol

I've "liked" some of those "Austin way back when" Facebook groups, mostly because they're a gold mine of old pictures of Austin, but also because the nimby whining is funny. Every post needs that "womp womp" sound effect to accompany it. Almost every single post you see on there starts off with an old picture of the city and the thread ends with a lot of whining about the growth and how good things were 40 or 50 years ago and how horrible it is now. I always attempt to remind people that the memories they made and hold onto are no less important than the new ones being made by the next generation of Austinites. There's a very subtle selfishness underlying their posts, I've noticed.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 3, 2017 at 8:57 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West