HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 2:04 PM

Long-awaited land swap ready to go HRM will own site of New Library

Long-awaited land swap ready to go
HRM will own site of new library
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Tue. Nov 18 - 5:20 AM
The i’s are dotted and the t’s ready to be crossed on a land swap between the city and the province involving several key downtown properties.

The exchange, which has been brewing for years, will finally put the future home of a new main library under the ownership of Halifax Regional Municipality.

Getting construction started soon on the flagship library branch is "high up" on council’s to-do list, Mayor Peter Kelly said Monday.

"I would hope that this would be one of the main priorities for council."

Mr. Kelly also mentioned other high-priority investments in public transit, public safety and infrastructure needs.

"It’s just finding the proper financial approach so it won’t become a drain on the operations."

The new library is to be built at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street, adjacent to the site of the old Halifax Infirmary, which the province tore down in 2005.

A 2004 city staff report on the library said it was crucial to have the new building in place by 2009.

The current library, at Spring Garden Road and Grafton Street, was built in the early 1950s. Over the years, council has OK’d hundreds of thousands of dollars in upgrades, but the building still poses "potential health and public safety liabilities," according to the 2004 report.

The land swap, which will go before a council committee this afternoon and then to the province for cabinet approval, also includes the old Queen Elizabeth High School property on Robie Street. Part of that land has already been used to expand the emergency wing at the new Infirmary, part of the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre.

The Capital district health authority, a provincial body, now wants to take over the rest of the old school property, but a group called Friends of the Halifax Common opposes further development at the site and wants the land returned to public open space.

A staff report on the land swap says many participants at a recent workshop called for the school site to be used strictly as open space. Members of Friends of the Halifax Common will get a chance to tell that to council themselves tonight. The group is listed on the agenda as making a presentation when the brand new council, elected on Oct. 18, meets tonight for the first time.

The mayor said the city wanted to give the group a chance to voice its concerns publicly.

"This is their opportunity," he said.

It also leaves the door open for further research by city staff, he said.

Also going to the province is the old Birks store site on Barrington Street, which the city has used as a parking lot for the past few years.

At the end of the day, the city will still owe the province about $2 million, but there’s a possibility the city could pay its bill with more land, the mayor said.

Mr. Kelly said other properties are also under review as part of a "long-range program" between the two levels of government. The city might have interest in the Victoria General hospital parking lot on South Park Street "to enhance some of the green space," he said.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 2:08 PM

Members of Friends of the Halifax Common trying to stop the redevelopment of QEH for more Green space?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:39 PM

Members of Friends of the Halifax Common should spend a couple of weeks in the VG hospital, and then they will gladly see a new hospital on the old high school lands. JET

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 4:04 PM

Friends of the commons seem to have a lot of similar members of the Heritage trust? Anyone notice this?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:06 PM

Indeed they do. I would give them some credibility of their arguments made sense, but quite honestly, from a planning perspective this is one of the worst sites to add more open space. It would be totally wasted.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Indeed they do. I would give them some credibility of their arguments made sense, but quite honestly, from a planning perspective this is one of the worst sites to add more open space. It would be totally wasted.
Just read that Bev Miller is the co-chair.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:13 PM
we built this city

I don't think that land should be a hospital or open space. As a QEH graduate I would rather see a landmark development there.

If this was green space it would be awkward, as the school is built on a hill. Not to mention a huge waste of space, the commons are massive already... these nutjobs really do enjoy empty lots. wtf? It makes the city feel awkward and exposed, which is especially true during bad weather.

If it were given to the hospital it would not turn out well either... How much land do they need? They could be given the land close to the parking structure, but not all of the land... its huge!

I would like to see the city parcel the land, give a bit of it to the hospital. However, for the corner lot, I believe they should sell it to a private developer for an office development that could prominently sit at the corner and act as a gateway to downtown. Imagine a 15 story tower next to the Holiday Inn!

If our city was really inventive, they could build the tower themselves and make money of their own development. Create a corporation to develop/manage it, with the money going to benefit the residents of the city. Everything doesn't have to be "spend money" at a loss. Jesus, look how inventive some of the churches have become.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:23 PM
we built this city

When is the council meeting tonight? Anybody want to go and make our opinions known???

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:15 PM

Worldly, you need to look at the domino effect. The old Infirmary lands can now be developed because the old infirmary moved. If the VG could move over to the new infirmary site, just imagine the land that would be freed up; even just the VG parking lot is prime land. Moving the VG over beside the new infirmary just makes sense. JET

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:10 PM

as much as I'd like to see a tower on the qeh lands, I think that's a bit of a pipe dream....never gonna happen.....I think a expanded hospital is the best we can hope for, however I would love to see many of us fight tooth and nail against this hopefully misguided, pea brian plot, to harm our city's future. I would love to go but I can not get out of work.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:15 PM

even there name bites...."friends of the Halfax common" gee that wasn't riped off from "friends of point pleasant park" or anything

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is good news but of course there are the classic annoying elements:

"I would hope that this would be one of the main priorities for council." Mr. Kelly also mentioned other high-priority investments in public transit, public safety and infrastructure needs.

Hah.

That group wanting the QEH site to revert to greenspace (is that even what it was before QEH, or what it was in 1760?) is absurd and it's silly that they are only being heard at this point when so much time has gone into this land swap. They should have been rejected by council years ago.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:52 PM
we built this city

[QUOTE=JET;3919725]Worldly, you need to look at the domino effect. The old Infirmary lands can now be developed because the old infirmary moved. If the VG could move over to the new infirmary site, just imagine the land that would be freed up; even just the VG parking lot is prime land. Moving the VG over beside the new infirmary just makes sense. JET[/QUOTE

Maybe, that would be the best case scenario, creating real density in the south-end/downtown transition. I would be happy with a couple 19 story towers facing onto South Park with retail on the ground floor.

What about the "Friends of Schmidtville", what will they have to say about the Infirmary Lands... even for a hospital.

Lets create a group called "Friends of Development", lol

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:26 PM

This is good news. Personally i say make it part of the hospital, put a parkade or something in it, remove the VG parking lot, reconnect Tower Road, and either make the new block a park or mid-rise development. And for crying out loud do something with the old VG site. Gravel parking lots are ugly!

I wonder how long until they take over the CBC building at Bell and Summer? Its getting hard to believe it only used to be Camp Hill on that block. Now the hospital dominates all of it with its awkward corners and corridors...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:51 PM

According to this article from the Metro a part of the deal is to develop the VG parking lot on South Park into greenland like it used to be.

Quote:
Debate over Halifax Common space goes before council
LINDSAY JONES, METRO HALIFAX
November 18, 2008 05:00

Council will decide today whether to give up the former Queen Elizabeth High School building to make way for another hospital expansion.

The city says selling the former Halifax Common land to the province will help pay for part of a land exchange for the site of a new Central Library on Queen Street.

But Peggy Cameron of the Friends of the Halifax Common says the land should be turned back into green space, according to the city’s Halifax Common Plan. Cameron says this is one the largest opportunities the city has to get back park land.

“If people were aware of the value of green space in preventative health benefits, people might be less interested in building a building,” she said.

Wayne Anstey, the city’s deputy chief administrative officer of operations, said one of the conditions of the sale is to redevelop the Victoria General parking lot on South Park Street back into green space. The site was also formerly Halifax Common land.

“The overwhelming consideration with respect to the Commons land is that it be for the public good. Open space is one possibility, but public hospitals are also for the public good,” Anstey said.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:57 PM
we built this city

Victoria Park is green space, just up the street. How much "green space" do we need? Seriously, why are these people even consulted in these sort of decisions.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:08 PM

[QUOTE=worldlyhaligonian;3919966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Worldly, you need to look at the domino effect. The old Infirmary lands can now be developed because the old infirmary moved. If the VG could move over to the new infirmary site, just imagine the land that would be freed up; even just the VG parking lot is prime land. Moving the VG over beside the new infirmary just makes sense. JET[/QUOTE

Maybe, that would be the best case scenario, creating real density in the south-end/downtown transition. I would be happy with a couple 19 story towers facing onto South Park with retail on the ground floor.

What about the "Friends of Schmidtville", what will they have to say about the Infirmary Lands... even for a hospital.

Lets create a group called "Friends of Development", lol
There is lots of "friends" groups starting all over it seems.....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
According to this article from the Metro a part of the deal is to develop the VG parking lot on South Park into greenland like it used to be.
Thats just wrong.........(the deal that is).

We don't need more green space, especially when we could see high density residential put there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:14 PM

Well one benfit to green space is it seems to be attracting more development to its edges. Halifax has two great examples; the Commons has a lot of mid-rise to high-rise developments around its edges, and the Public Gardens/Victoria Park has seen a boom in recent years with new high rise developments. The Trillium I know is promoting its proximity to the Public Gardens and Victoria Park. Just imagine extending the high-rise district to South Street. It would be great to have more upscale and retail on SouthPark extending into the South End.

Another upside to greenspace in specific spots is it boxes in the downtown. This box effect which Halifax has a lot of promotes higher density downtown.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of converting the QEH into greenspace since there is a lot of parkland already there. VG parking lot on the other hand is prime for parkland.

One thing with a new park like this is it might be possible to daylight Freshman's Brook and clean it up a bit maybe make it a highlight and the boundary of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:18 PM

I'm am fairly new to Halifax (5 years) so I always remember VG lot being a parking lot.....could someone please tell me how long it has been since it was green space and why they turned a park into a gravel lot?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy