HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 10:14 AM

Wow! I live in the SF bay area and sure, theres a bit of a boom going on. A fair amount 300-650 footers going up but Jesus! When did all of this start in Miami? And where did all the demand come from?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 4:36 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Wow! I live in the SF bay area and sure, theres a bit of a boom going on. A fair amount 300-650 footers going up but Jesus! When did all of this start in Miami? And where did all the demand come from?
Btown, I honestly tried to keep my mouth shut because I talk too much on this website and really do enjoy hearing what the other guys have to say, but go to page 14 of this thread and read my rather lengthy analysis of all of this that I've titled "Very Talls in Edgewater," which is what I believe this will all eventually lead to and thought I would never see. I'm a native Floridian who has lived in South Florida for over 20 years and watched the evolution of all this. I have also lived in L.A. and San Francisco and moved to South Beach from California in 1984. To make things as simple as possible, here is the formula that I believe has led to all this. "Miami Vice" + "Save Miami Beach" anti-development movement + 9/11/2001 = Biggest skyscraper building boom in American history happening in Miami? The war on terrorism, the war in Afghanistan, and the war in Iraq produced a weak dollar against a strong Euro, which made American property a bargain for foreign investors. Just before that, the Miami Beach building boom of the 1990s, created by the international popularity of "Miami Vice" in the late 1980s, began to spread across the Bay to Miami as anti-development sentiment grew and height restrictions were imposed. The city of Miami welcomed the new development with open arms, and it became a free for all except for restrictions imposed by the FAA because our airport is in the middle of the city. I used to dream about Miami having a skyline like San Francisco's when I looked across the Bay from South Beach! Now we will have a bigger skyline than San Francisco! Steve

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Dec 25, 2006 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 5:17 AM

What is the status of Cor? (working title maybe) I saw an article in the publication CITY magazine about it but can not find it on emporis or other search sites...this is one of my favorite proposals in Miami...any info?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
A big whole in the ground being dug at the Capital site. Looks like foundation work:

Article in this morning's Herald confirms that construction has begun on Capital One and Two. Great news! I had real concerns about this project getting off the ground. I can't wait to see how the southern end of the skyline is going to look with these two buildings.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:52 PM

http://bobmiami.wordpress.com/2006/1...-faa-variance/

Quote:
Real Estate Review: Planning Report
Lofty Brickell project planned, but economic realities may intervene

December 2006 By: Polyana da Costa

Another major mixed-used development is planned in Miami’s Brickell Avenue area, which already is a sprawling high-rise construction zone.

Project owner Nickel Goeseke of Cervera Real Estate is asking the city Planning Advisory Board to approve a 56-story tower with residential, retail and hotel components on nearly two acres at 1490-1492 S. Miami Ave.

A hearing on the proposed Columbus Centre is likely in January, but the item is not on a scheduled agenda, said Luciana Gonzalez, spokeswoman for the planning department.

Gilberto Pastoriza of Weiss Serota Helfman Pastoriza Cole & Boniske, the law firm handling the development, said he doesn’t see any obstacles to the project in an area designated restricted commercial.

The area southeast of the site is a mix of high- and medium-density multifamily units and single-family homes.

“We’ve engaged in a dialogue with neighbors, and both sides are working together, but I don’t think it will be a problem,” Pastoriza said.

Goeseke declined comment, and Pastoriza would not discuss project details, citing confidentiality reasons.

If approved, the development would include 211,449 square feet of office space, 219 residential units, 234 hotel units and 6,512 square feet of ground-floor retail space, according to documents filed with the city.

The first floor would be stores and offices, the next 18 floors would be offices followed by nine floors of hotel space, an amenities deck and 26 levels of condo units.

The tower would include 596 parking spaces in a two-level basement garage accessible from 15th Road and another parking garage with access to Southwest 14th Terrace.

The proposed 710-foot structure requires approval from the Federal Aviation Administration because of its proximity to the Miami International Airport flight path.

Preliminary analysis by the Miami-Dade County Aviation Department indicated it would allow a 623-feet structure. Anything higher would need special approval, according to documents filed with the city. The department required the developer to submit additional information for further analysis.

Other nearby developments have obtained clearance for taller buildings. Brickell’s Infinity II, a development planned by Colonial Development Group, was approved as a 736-foot, 65-floor project.

Goeseke, project attorney Tony Recio of Weiss Serota and architect Luis Revuelta of Revuelta Vega Leon attended the Brickell Area Association’s latest board of directors meeting Nov. 14 to present a project overview, said Gloria Konsler, executive administrator for the association.

“The only concern some people had was if the building would create a shadow over Simpson Park, but the architect assured them it won’t because of the way it’s designed,” Konsler said

Revuelta could not be reached for comment before deadline.

Several real estate insiders have doubts about the project’s viability. They say a large-scale project such as the Columbus Centre would not be advisable in a market already overwhelmed by new condo construction and during a time when many developers have killed or delayed projects.

“The project is highly realistic but not in this cycle … not in the next 36 to 48 months,” said Robert Kaplan, principal of Olympian Capital Group. “I wouldn’t advise them to commence for another 24 months until the existing inventory starts to be digested.”

The project is targeted for completion in 2011, according to city documents.

The site is owned by Javier and Alicia Cervera, Nickel Goeseke and Veronica Cervera-Goeseke. They have owned two of the three lots since 1993. Nickel Goeseke and Veronica Cervera-Goeseke bought the adjacent third lot at 1450 S. Miami Ave. for $2.03 million in 2003.

Goeseke could be working with a co-developer or planning to sell the site after the concept is approved since Cervera is not a major developer, Kaplan said.

“My opinion is they are either trying to maximize the value of the land by getting this approval or they are planning to find a venture partner to co-develop it, if they don’t already have one,” he said.

Alicia Cervera, as head of Related Cervera Realty Services, has close ties to Jorge Perez’s Related Group, which said it is not involved in Columbus Centre.

Another major developer, Alan Ojeda of Rilea Group, which completed One Broadway Brickell across the street at 1451 S. Miami Ave. last year, also said he is not involved.

Several other projects are being developed in the Brickell area, including the 60-story Icon Brickell complex and the 57- and 52-story Capital at Brickell under development by CABI at 1421 S. Miami Ave.

Source: http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/n...?news_id=41225

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 11:54 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Capital I over 800 feet tall?

This website shows Capital I being over 800 feet tall under construction. Could it be that it never was chopped down, but that they were forgetting to count the spire on here and Emporis or have the specs changed again?

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Dec 17, 2006 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:54 PM

Just had to repost this great pic taken by Arch Photographer over at ssc:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 12:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Another reason why Miami is such a beautiful and stylish city.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
We have two. Atlantis in the Brickell District and Bank of America Tower in the CBD. While both were part of the 1980s building boom, not the recent one, they show, "That's Miami!".
Yes, I recognize Miami by those, and though they stand out, I'm thinking something more signiture to "sign" the skyline uniquely Miami. I'm sure that's not too far away.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:47 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

One Bayfront Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Yes, I recognize Miami by those, and though they stand out, I'm thinking something more signiture to "sign" the skyline uniquely Miami. I'm sure that's not too far away.
Click on this link already. It even says that One Bayfront Plaza "will become Miami's signature building."

http://www.fecr.com/bayfrontPark/index.htm

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Dec 21, 2006 at 5:53 AM. Reason: to use exact quote

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 8:34 PM

Quote:

its been a long time since i have been to miami and all I can say is that midtown has changed dramatically

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Uncle Albert

We're so sorry... Uncle Albert... But we haven't done a bloody thing all day....

BOOHIGGY

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 12:35 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

The Transamerica Pyramid

GREGGYMIAMI305, that beautiful skyline pic above is nothing compared to what's coming! Have another look just before New Year's Eve 2010! Everything scheduled to start construction by the end of next year will be up by then. A bit of skyscraper history: Do you know that the Transamerica Pyramid (853 feet) was originally planned as a supertall, but was chopped down by anti-development fervor? "Transamerica's original proposal called for a 1,150ft (350.5m) building, which would have been for one year the second tallest completed building in the world. The proposal was rejected by the city planning commission on the grounds that it would have interfered with views of San Francisco Bay from Nob Hill." (SNob Hill) Imagine what the San Francisco skyline could have looked like following a precedent like that. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, GUYS! WE ARE LUCKY TO SEE SO MUCH NEW AND EXCITING STUFF GOING UP NEAR WHERE WE LIVE, AND I HOPE EVERYBODY SEES THEIR FAVORITE PROJECTS START CONSTRUCTION NEXT YEAR THAT HAVEN'T ALREADY STARTED (and more than just ground breaking)!

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Dec 25, 2006 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 1:56 AM

Does anyone have any pics of the recently installed glass on ICON brickell?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 2:01 AM

nope...this pic is from about a month ago

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 7:24 AM

Icon has a live webcam which gives you a pretty good view of the glass. Also, I think the face in the center of Mad Hatter's picture above will have no balconies, just glass .

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 7:39 AM

Also, for anyone who's interested, you can see live pictures of the construction of EPIC if you go to its website then sellect either "FLASH" or "HTML" then "Location," followed by "Live Cam." Everglades on the Bay also has its own webcam which allows you to control the camera. There are also some other webcams which the Miami Herald has mounted in various locations including the tops of the Four Seasons Tower and the Wachovia Financial Center. Enjoy.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
Click on this link already. It even says that One Bayfront Plaza "will become Miami's signature building."

http://www.fecr.com/bayfrontPark/index.htm
and here is a larger pic of the tower and the location is perfect too!

thanks to DGM for the pic.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 5:14 AM

Icon Brickell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
Does anyone have any pics of the recently installed glass on ICON brickell?
Here is one I took on Dec-27 of Icon, with 500 and BOR to the right.

Another, showing Asia on Brickell Key, Icon, 500 Brickell and Brickell on The River.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 6:09 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Plaza on Brickell

You have a nice shot of the Plaza on Brickell in your photos as well. Thanks! I appreciated being able to see it from that angle. Damn good pictures! For a skyscraper enthusiast like me, seeing something as incredible as all this, happening in the city in which I live, is a dream come true. AGAIN, HAPPY NEW YEAR, GUYS! AND BEST WISHES TO YOU AND ALL YOUR FAVORITE PROJECTS. Steve

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations