HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 11:52 PM

Wow. Cool pictures guys. I work for the owner and now work as the Building Engineer for the property. Nice pictures!

I too was amazed at how fast the building went up. I knew on paper but it's another thing watching it go up. It's a tunnel form build and boy do they go up quick! Each floor, including the shear walls, were poured in three sections. In a typical cycle you would have the first section poured on the first day. On the second day the second section would be poured. On the third day the third section would be poured. While pouring the last section you will have your steel rebar lapped on the curbs on top of the sections you poured on day 1 and 2. Meanwhile the forms would be pulled from the first and second day pours and stacked up on top for the next floor sections to be poured! You would literally have a floor/ceiling with shear walls poured in 3 days and on the 4th and 5th you would be pouring your next top floor on top of the sections you just poured 4 days ago! It was quite incredible and I've never seen anything like it since I've been in construction.

Of course this lends itself to strict scheduling. The steel guys, electricians, plumbers, etc. would need to have their piping sleeves and conduit set inside these forms before they pour the section. Not only that but once a floor is complete you've got to get your reshoring in and install all your safety railing, etc. If anyone is lagging it slows down the entire process. Luckily we have a Grade A general contractor and some Grade A subs working for us here.

As you can imagine though, once this is done there is less to "finish out". Finish work can begin and part of your rough in is already complete with the push of the shear wall pours. I'm just glad I wasn't the one to have to schedule all of this while it was going on. Props to our GC.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:19 PM

Hi Legacy, thanks for all the info. I have another question: While the building went up very quickly, the exterior seemed to take forever to go on. What's the story behind that?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:20 PM

From 11/8:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 1:01 AM

From 12-06-2008

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 3:27 PM

From January 23

Note the flying saucer

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 4:02 AM
Meh

They've updated the website for Legacy on the Lake. And there are some beautiful photos of the building and its views.

Look under 'gallery' - and click on each of the four photos. There are about 50 photos there.
http://www.legacyonthelake.com/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the link to the gallery. I love the views.

Here's a few photos from February 6th.

From The Hilton's parking garage:

With Milago & Shore

Legacy - zoomed in

From the esplanade:

A closer view. With the sun setting, you can really see the details on the windows.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 7:10 PM

Has anyone heard any reviews about the tower?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 6:34 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoby13 View Post
Has anyone heard any reviews about the tower?
Well, I've heard people criticizing about the paleness of the exterior. I don't know about any other reviews. I'm wondering if someone would make a "Austin Building Reviews & Comments" thread that would have people post what they think about the buildings in Austin. That would be a great idea!
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive