HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:56 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

The problem is that we're contracted to provide a minimum of 80K tonnes of material and we're nowhere close to that. As a result we've paid about 5-8 million in penalties to Orgaworld.

Of course, the matter has been tied up in legal arbitration because the City, realizing the folly of the contract, wanted Orgaworld to accept leaf and yard waste in addition to the organic household waste in order to help meet the target (Orgaworld was against this).

In the end, the arbitrator ruled in the City's favour (Orgaworld must accept leaf and yard waste), and also awarded the City its 5-8 million in paid penalties.

Yay, right? Wrong.

At the end of the day we're stuck with probably the world's most expensive leaf and yard waste collection program. Before this silly program was conceived, we were collecting the same leaf and yard waste at a tiny fraction of what it's now costing us.

Incidentally, the city's auditor general recently released his scathing report on the Orgaworld contract. For the first time that I've ever seen in any auditor general report anywhere, he recommended that we cancel out.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
The problem has nothing to do with green bins, it's about the complete incompetence of whoever negotiated the Orgaworld contract. My biggest fear with this whole mess is that people will take it as a damnation of the green bin concept itself. Green bins are great and everybody should use them as much as possible. Ottawans seem to have this weird thing against recycling, we have one of the worst diversion rates in the province, and I hope this mess doesn't hinder efforts to correct this problem.
I think most adults who recycle even sporadically aren't going to take this as an indictment of the green bin. They either use it or they don't. Many people, especially rural and suburban homeowners, also started composting in the backyard in the 90s and still do (they want their own compost!). Ideas are free and auditor generals usually don't come down on (and assign a fiscal value of loss to) ideologies.

In the inner city, homeless (?) guys on bikes with bags take care of any booze bottles or cans left out in blue boxes on pickup morning. They're like clockwork.

Can people do better when it comes to recycling? Sure. But if you hate using the green bin, then you already don't use it. If you do use it, you're not likely to denounce everything and start tossing your scraps on the street after reading a headline like 'Orgaworld audit reveals city over paid by $7 million', or something like that.

They'll be pissed that the city fucked up, and might even demand something be done about it (nah...), but that's it.

I would also hope that some residents *cough* don't sweep any desire for accountability under the rug BECAUSE of an adherence to the ideologies behind the program, which I've seen happen before.

Staff really screwed residents on this. To the point where you really have to wonder.

Yes, compost and recycling is super-terrific. So are bridges and Transitways and bike lanes. But they can all turn into tax revenue-gobbling boondoggles if the file is rushed into or just plain gets bungled through sleaze or incompetence. That makes everyone hurt. That makes charities and non-profits and agencies less likely to get funding in the next budget because the shortfall has to be covered. Or other city-building projects get slimmed down or put on hold.

Please, please, please demand that your representatives and the people who work for them - even if you voted for them and always will - do better work on your behalf.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 1:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Landfill expansion raises questions about business recycling

Carys Mills, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 25, 2014, Last Updated: July 28, 2014 7:20 PM EDT

Atop the closed Carp Road landfill, a grassy hill made of millions of tonnes of waste, Ross Wallace sees his surroundings differently than most.

Workers are tending to one of the mound’s roughly 200 wells that send gas from the garbage beneath to a nearby power plant. A butterfly flutters by. Farmland, homes and the Canadian Tire Centre are visible, further than the station where some tires, wood, metal and cardboard are saved from burial.

“We get accused of just being garbage handlers, but that’s far from the truth,” Wallace, the district manager of Waste Management, Inc. says after giving a tour of the site. “We’re far from just being the garbage collector.”

This month, Waste Management received rezoning for nearby land, allowing the company to move ahead with a new landfill that could open as early as 2017. The expansion of the existing dump, which closed in 2011, has added to frustrations of councillors and residents about businesses not diverting as much trash from landfills as Ottawa residents do.

As much as 400,000 tonnes of non-hazardous waste per year is expected to go into the new landfill over its 10-year lifespan. Of that, about 280,000 tonnes will come annually from industrial, commercial and institutional (IC&I) sectors, according to the Ministry of the Environment, which has given preliminary approval for the expansion.

“Nobody wants to see a landfill in their backyard,” says West Carleton-March Coun. Eli El-Chantiry, who chairs the landfill liaison committee trying to manage the concerns of nearby residents. “The city is doing a great job asking people to recycle … but the province doesn’t require the IC&I (sectors) to recycle, and that’s really the brunt of the issue here.”

Wallace says he can’t make the IC&I sector divert its trash. But there’s a growing focus to help divert, which is why the landfill site has been renamed the West Carleton Environmental Centre.

When trash bins are brought to the landfill from IC&I locations such as hospitals and restaurants, much of the recyclable material is contaminated, compared with construction and demolition (C&D) waste, Wallace says.

It’s not assumed that trash bins from IC&I locations will have anything salvageable, unless they’re already sorted. If recyclables are mixed with waste, put in a landfill and an employee notices, Wallace says, they’ll flag containers from that place as potentially having diversion material in the future.

Customers can sort their own trash and recycling, Wallace says, but that’s up to each business. He says he takes no joy putting recyclable material in the landfill. “If I was a businessman doing that, I just cost myself money (to dump the material), and on the other side of things, I’m costing myself the loss of revenue (of selling the recyclables),” Wallace says.

Expanding the landfill makes environment committee chair Coun. Maria McRae question why IC&I sectors aren’t held to the same “stringent, onerous” goals as municipalities, which are expected to aim for 60 per cent recycling.

“It’s very expensive to do so, but it’s the right thing to do,” she says. “Why is it that same expectation hasn’t been laid at the foot of the IC&I sector?”

McRae says 2013 was the first time the city diverted more than 50 per cent of curbside waste from landfill. Ottawa’s residential waste goes to a landfill on Trail Road. Once the Carp Road location is open again, it’s expected to take residential waste from a “good neighbour zone,” including Mississippi Mills.

The province is well aware of the differing diversion rates between sectors. A report from the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario this month highlighted that Ontario’s overall residential diversion rate in 2011 was estimated to be 41 to 44 per cent. For IC&I, the rate was nine to 22 per cent.

Last summer, the province proposed a Waste Reduction Act, which would have required producers to meet recycling targets and to start with requiring IC&I sectors to recycle paper and packaging. The act died on the order paper in May when an election was called.

Ministry spokeswoman Kate Jordan says the government intends to introduce legislation this fall “designed to increase diversion of wastes from landfill” from all sectors, including IC&I.

A good example of a business already diverting waste that McRae points to is the St-Hubert Express restaurant at Riverside Drive and Hunt Club Road, where food and utensils are sorted and composted.

But Don Anderson, chair of the chamber of commerce’s environment and sustainability committee, says not providing organics pickup for restaurants across the city is a missed diversion opportunity. “There’s not a lot of incentives for businesses,” Anderson says. “There’s not a lot of leadership that says, ‘We want to partner with business to improve the environment.'”

cmills@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/CarysMills

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ness-recycling

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Orgaworld is fighting back

By Susan Sherring, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 07:03 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 07:08 PM EDT

Haven't Ottawans endured enough when it comes to the green bin?

Smack in the middle of maggot season, the city and Orgaworld are headed back to another session of legal wrangling. Why?

Well, Orgaworld has decided to challenge an arbitrator's decision which favours the city in its never-ending legal wrangling with the city.

In a nutshell (which is welcome in the green bin), Orgaworld must accept not just household organics, but all leaf and yard waste -- including the peak periods of spring and fall.

So sadly, it's déjà vu all over again.

More legal wrangling means more money in legal fees. Ottawans are resentful enough about paying for organics that never make it to Orgaworld. But sadly, the possibility of a happy-ever-after relationship between the city and Orgaworld seems even more distant.

Next month, Aug. 19 to be exact, an appeal will be heard in London, Ontario.

This time, Orgaworld appears ready for a fight and isn't interested at all in backing down from the dispute.

In fact, they're tired of being a scapegoat in what the city's own Auditor General Ken Hughes has said was a major screw-up by city staff.

Funny how Orgaworld has been on the receiving end of some of the residual angst directed toward the green bin.

How did the city manage that one?

Now, with a damning AG's report, and an appeal in the works, the city has mused about cancelling the contract altogether. They're saying it would cost about $8 million to get out of it.

Not so, says Orgaworld, which insists the contract is quite clear.

The company is very uncharacteristically publicly lashing out.

The city is very characteristically refusing to comment, saying they don't comment on matters before the courts.

Even meetings planned between city manager Kent Kirkpatrick and high-placed executives with Orgaworld were cancelled by the city, with Kirkpatrick telling the Sun he doesn't believe anything will transpire until the appeal is settled.

Here we go again -- sort of.

Orgaworld is being much more vocal this time around.

In an interview with the Sun on Wednesday, Orgaworld spokesman Dale Harley said the company warned the city it didn't believe they could reach the 80,000 tonnes of organics it was predicting but the city ignored their advice.

(While the Sun doesn't have the e-mails in hand, that's easy to believe. The AG's report made it clear city staff ignored important studies and stats all around them.)

Harley also says it was made abundantly clear in negotiations leading up to the signed contract between Orgaworld and the city that peak leaf and yard would not be sent to Orgaworld.

The company simply can't handle the peak leaf and yard waste, there's too much volume.

"I think we are being treated as a scapegoat," said Harley.

"It's not fair you can duly compete in a process in good faith and then they change the terms of the contract.

"We are not making tonnes of money. We've had to buy more equipment and we're making less money. We made an investment of $25 million, we did that in good faith.

Now the city thinks they can just cancel the contract. Let's be realistic.

There's a table in the agreement that talks about the cancellation fees for each year. Would you spend $25 million if it could be cancelled for just $8 million, he asks.

Clearly, a rhetorical question.

"We want this program to be successful and the only way to get the program back on track is to sit down and work out a solution. We've been telling the city all along that we're willing to sit down with them."

Companies on the receiving end of taxpayers' dollars don't often get much sympathy when things go bad. That's understandable.

But taxpayers should remember, the city's own AG says this was a city mess -- from start to finish."

susan.sherring@sunmedia.ca

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/30/...-fighting-back

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]
But taxpayers should remember, the city's own AG says this was a city mess -- from start to finish."
I wonder if there is any merit to having the city AG overlook contracts prior to signing?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Plasco lays off 12 workers

Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 14, 2014, Last Updated: August 14, 2014 7:17 PM EDT

Plasco Energy laid off 12 employees this week after the company decided not to keep spending money on operating its waste-to-energy demonstration plant at full capacity.

“We are going to operate the facility on a reduced basis,” said Plasco’s vice-president of public affairs Edmond Chiasson, adding that the company will continue to work on specific aspects of its system. The company currently has 110 employees.

Calling the decision to lay of workers “not easy,” Chiasson said the company, which aims to convert non-recyclable trash into synthetic gas, doesn’t need “the same number of people at the facility given its new purpose.

“That facility was built to prove the core technology … and its main purpose of demonstrating the core technology has been satisfied.”

The clean-tech business is an expensive venture and “at some point we have to decide whether (running the demonstration plant) is the best use of our assets and our shareholders’ money,” said Chiasson.

Plasco has been in discussions with the city for years, but the two parties didn’t make a formal deal until late 2012, when they entered into a 20-year contract worth $180 million.

The deal is contingent on a number of factors, including that Plasco build a commercial plant by 2016. The company also had to prove to the city that it had secured financing — a deadline Plasco has missed twice. The company now has until the end of the year to come up with the financing.

Chiasson said the company is “encouraged about where we are” in the process of securing financing,” but we don’t want to speculate too much.”

However, when asked about whether Plasco still planned to open its first commercial plant in Ottawa, Chiasson hedged.

“Our very strong preference is to build our first plant in Ottawa,” he said. “Having said that, it’s a major financial commitment. And when we look at making that financial commitment, we owe it to ourselves to basically compare where else we might be able to deploy that same capital and how might that work.”

He added that “you wouldn’t have to do a whole lot of research to understand, however, that just the economics of this type of facility would be better in other places.”

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0815-plasco

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 1:59 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Plasco may keep us waiting till year's end

Published on: November 12, 2014, Last Updated: November 12, 2014 8:06 PM EST

Ottawa’s Plasco Energy may have signed a promising deal with a massive Chinese company last week, but that won’t affect whether it can make good on its plans to build a commercial waste-to-energy plant here in town.

Indeed, according to Plasco‘s vice-president of public affairs, Edmond Chiasson, the Chinese conglomerate with which it signed a “framework agreement” understands that “if at all possible, what we need to do is to build our first full commercial plant in our home market.

“This is where we hope to be able to demonstrate everything that we’ve done already,” said Chiasson. “We’re based here. It’s further validation for them that we’re prepared to make significant investment in our home market.”

But, of course, the big question remains whether Plasco can meet its financial commitments under its contract with the city to build a commercial plant by 2016. The deal is contingent on several factors, including that Plasco be able to prove to the city that it has secured financing — a deadline Plasco has missed twice.

The company has until Dec. 31 to come up with the money.

And while that’s only seven weeks away, Plasco isn’t offering hints about whether it’ll make the year-end target. It’s promising just that it will say, well, something by New Year’s Eve.

“It’s a big step to go to a full commercial facility from what we have,” said Chiasson. “It’s significant additional investment from our shareholders. It’s making a real commitment to the city that we’d put infrastructure in place that would perform over a period of time. The city has been a good partner for us. They gave us a reasonable period of time to get our story together, and we’re going to take full advantage of that.”

Fair enough. But Plasco shouldn’t be expecting any more extensions from the city.

“I’m still very much of the opinion I want them to succeed,” Mayor Jim Watson said Wednesday. “They can’t delay again, though. My position hasn’t changed vis-a-vis the deadline.”

Nor should it. If Plasco doesn’t meet its financial commitments by year-end, it’s high time the city launch into a proper investigation of what technologies exist and conduct a competition for the contract.

For a little while earlier this year, it appeared as though Plasco was hinting it was looking elsewhere to commercialize, even though Ottawa has always been the company’s stated preference for its inaugural plant. But there is so much money at stake that, according to Chiasson, “We owe it to ourselves to basically compare where else we might be able to deploy that same capital and how might that work.”

So when Plasco announced it had some sort of deal with a Chinese company, there was naturally some speculation that perhaps the Ottawa company would set its sights in that huge eastern markets for its first commercial plant.

But that’s not the case.

Last week’s agreement between Plasco and Shougang Group — the state-owned enterprise is one of China’s largest steel companies that also specializes in industrial construction — is a promise to work together to determine how to bring Plasco’s technology to the massive marketplace.

“It takes a long time to do business in China,” said Chiasson. “We’re still at a relatively early stage.”

With Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to China last week, “The view was it’s a good time to provide a little bit of profile of Canadian innovation,” Chiasson added.

At some point, though, Plasco does need to prove its technology works at a commercial level. Chiasson said the company has had a very positive year with its technology, but is equivocating on how it’s doing on securing financing.

“We’ve made a lot of progress on the fundamentals,” said Chiasson. “But getting all final commitments to the point of saying, ‘Let’s do it’? We’re going to take advantage of the time that we have.”

Does that sound like a company confident it will secure funding to move the project forward? Apparently, we’ll have to wait until the final hour to find out.

twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-col-chianello

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 11:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Plasco proposing smaller facility as financing deadline looms

Published on: December 10, 2014, Last Updated: December 10, 2014 1:46 PM EST

Just three weeks before Plasco Energy must meet a city deadline to show it has financing for a proposed waste-to-energy plant, the Citizen has learned the company is now proposing a slightly smaller facility with potentially less capacity.

It is unclear whether the changes would affect the terms of Plasco’s 20-year, multimillion-dollar contract with the city, although the changes could reduce the amount of daily waste the company is able to handle.

Plasco informed the Ministry of Environment more than a month ago that its design changes include a “reduction in plant size, inclusion of a drying and cooling system, a change in stormwater management, and a reduction in engines from 10 to seven,” according to a statement from ministry spokeswoman Kate Jordan.

“As a result of these proposed changes, Plasco will be required to update all environmental assessment and study reports, associated studies and modelling.”

The company has until Dec. 31 to meet its financial commitments under its contract with the city to build a commercial plant by 2016.

The deal is contingent on several factors, including that Plasco be able to prove to the city that it has secured financing — a deadline Plasco has missed twice.

It’s unclear how these design changes affect the terms of the contract, if at all. Attempts to reach the Plasco spokesman were unsuccessful.

City manager Kent Kirkpatrick said the company informed the city that it had revised its designs into what Plasco believes is a “more cost-effective configuration.”

For example, Plasco plans to build fewer processing strings, but each with greater capacity than the previous design. Still, according to Kirkpatrick, the overall processing capacity could drop to 250 tonnes per day from 3oo, although the company has not provided the city with those specifics.

The contract that council agreed to in December 2011 called for “a 300-tonne-a-day gasification plant.”

Kirkpatrick also said that on Oct. 30, he sent Plasco a “60 day formal written notice” regarding the end-of-year deadline for the company “to provide to the city evidence of their capacity to fund/finance the construction of the Ottawa commercial facility. ‎We continue to await their formal response.”

Mayor Jim Watson said he’s waiting for a clearer picture of the developments.

“First and foremost, I’m hopeful that Plasco is a success story. But they have to meet a deadline to give us the assurance that they have their financial case together by the end of December. So by the course of the next several weeks, I expect they will continue these kinds of discussions with our city manager. I was made aware of that yesterday (Tuesday) — the smaller capacity — and we’ll have to take that into account when the city manager comes back to the first environment committee in January.”

Similarly, the mayor was not ready to comment on the question of a proposed smaller processing capacity for the plant.

“Obviously we want greater capacity because we want more to go into the Plasco stream because we think it’s better for the environment than continuing putting it into a landfill. But I’ll have to hear their reasons and their rationale — I haven’t heard that. Maybe this is a deal-breaker from a financial point of view, I don’t know that.”

When the city manager reports back to the environment committee and council in January, “we will have to decide whether we’re satisfied with a) the financial arrangement and b) the smaller capacity, if that is in fact what the final proposal is.”

twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/1211-plasco

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:16 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Plasco Energy Group files for creditor protection

Vito Pilieci, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 10, 2015, Last Updated: February 10, 2015 12:33 PM EST

Plasco Energy Group Inc., the company once hailed as the future in waste management for the City of Ottawa, has filed for creditor protection.

The company made the announcement Tuesday. Reports indicate the proceedings could cost as many as 80 people their jobs.

Plasco has been struggling to find the financing to build a full-scale commercial facility capable of turning waste into energy at the City of Ottawa’s garbage dump on Moodie Drive.

The city’s relationship with Plasco is, “for all intents and purposes” done, said Mayor Jim Watson.

“We’re still proceeding with our report that will be issued later today.” That report, said Watson, recommends that the city end its financial arrangement with Plasco.

The company had said its Trail Road facility would be able to turn as much as 400 tonnes of garbage a day into more than 20 megawatts of energy, enough to power 7,200 houses.

At next week’s environment committee, council intends to give directions to staff to look for another waste solution, said Watson.

“While it’s regrettable the Plasco arrangement did not work out, the fact is we have to move forward and find other technologies other than burying garbage in a hole.”

The city has lost time in looking for a waste solution, but not much money in its years-long arrangement with Plasco.

“The only time we were actually paying Plasco is when they were disposing of our garbage,” said Watson. “So if they’re not disposing of our garbage, then we’re not paying them.”

Plasco Energy missed the city’s Dec. 31 deadline to prove it had the financing to build a plant in Ottawa by 2016. It was the third missed deadline under a 20-year, multimillion-dollar contract with the city.

Plasco management will remain responsible for the day-to-day operations of the firm.

Plasco is bringing on Randall Benson, partner and national practice co-leader of restructuring and turnaround at KPMG, as chief restructuring officer to assist the company with its restructuring process.

“Plasco will explore potential strategic alternatives that may provide the company the funding required to pursue commercial development of its technology,” said Benson.

“Our key objectives are to preserve the value of the business for the benefit of the company’s stakeholders and to continue work towards demonstrating the performance of the technology.”

Plasco has received more than $390 million in investment over the years. The firm was to be a model of waste management and green energy production. While the first of its facilities were planned for Moodie Drive in Ottawa, the company has said similar plants are planned for Red Deer, Alta., several municipalities in California as well as cities in Poland and China. However, none of those other deals has yet materialized.

More to come.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...tor-protection

Last edited by rocketphish; Feb 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM. Reason: Updated content

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Not surprised about the bankruptcy... it's a Rod Bryden venture.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

After Plasco: City looks to increase diversion, find new technology

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 11, 2015, Last Updated: February 11, 2015 8:09 PM EST

A day after it took steps to cut ties with Plasco, the city is urging residents to step up recycling efforts while it begins searching for a new technology to process Ottawa’s garbage.

Part of the push could see the green bin organics waste program rolled out in more apartment and condominium buildings — something that has been done with limited success so far.

Plasco Energy Group filed for creditor projection on Tuesday, leaving 80 Ottawa employees out of work. Meanwhile, in a long-awaited report to council that was perhaps somewhat moot by the time it was released late in the day, the city’s top bureaucrat Kent Kirkpatrick advised council to end its relationship with the waste-management firm and begin looking for a new partner.

The company was once seen as a shining light in the clean-tech industry. It had worked for years trying to prove that its proprietary technology could use plasma, a very high-temperature gas, to convert garbage into energy. The city signed a 20-year contract with Plasco to process 300 tonnes of garbage a day for $9.1 million a year, once it got the commercial plant up and running.

But that never happened, said Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson.

“I wish Plasco had worked because I think it would have been a great accomplishment for the environment, for our local technology industry, but it didn’t,” he said.

“We will now have to find a new technology.”

In the meantime, the mayor said an increased focus on diverting as much waste as possible from the landfill could extend the lifespan of the city’s Trail Road facility even beyond its projected expiration date of 2043.

“The more we can divert, the better, so it’s in our collective interest and the fiscally responsible thing to do to continue to put as much as we can in the blue, black and green bins so that we can ensure that we’re not going the expensive route of incineration or gasification or landfill,” he said.

Both Watson and environment committee chair David Chernushenko said the city needs to do a better job of promoting the use of green bins and, in particular, consider expanding the program into apartment and condo buildings, despite the logistical challenges that might pose in terms of storing the bins.

Chernushenko said he’d “definitely love” to see an expansion happen during this term of council.

“We need to divert better and the city can and will work with citizens to make that not just possible, but easier,” he said.

Green bins were an issue during last fall’s election campaign, particularly among some residents who complained about smell, insects and lack of storage space for bins.

Some wanted the city to collect all the waste and burn it — an approach Chernushenko bluntly called “lazy.”

“To those people, that’s the most expensive way of dealing with it,” he said, adding the provincial government won’t allow the city to build an incinerator until it meets a high level of diversion.

Now that Plasco is out of the equation, the city will begin to look for another option. But exactly when isn’t clear — Kirkpatrick’s report suggests the city wait until the green bin review is completed later this year.

Chernushenko said he’d like to find a solution this term, but noted the matter isn’t entirely urgent because there’s so much life left in the landfill.

“Nobody wants to take it that far,” he said. “We’d love to find a solution.”

After Plasco

The city has received 37 submissions from around the world in response to a recent Request for Information for residual waste technologies.

While its contract with Plasco called for the company to build the commercial plant, the capital costs for the various technologies described in the report range from $50 to $275 million, while annual operating costs range from $3 to $75 million.

Submissions that focused on post-diversion residual waste management included the following technologies:

Five waste-to-energy combustion/incineration
Nine waste-to-energy gasification
Six waste-to-energy plasma arc gasification
Six waste-to-energy pyrolysis
Three waste-to-liquid fuel
One hydrolysis

Only four of the firms representing the above technologies provided proof that demonstrated operation of a commercial-sized facility that processes municipal solid waste.

Design, construction and commissioning timelines from the vendors ranged from 18 months to 4 1/2 years, and excluded what city staff would consider adequate allowance for provincial regulatory approvals, Kirkpatrick’s report to environment committee said.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...new-technology

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 2:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

How the city lucked out on Plasco

Published on: February 18, 2015, Last Updated: February 18, 2015 9:48 AM EST

The city is having a little trouble extricating itself from its relationship with Plasco Energy. As our Matthew Pearson reports, the environment committee voted to officially cut ties with company on Tuesday, but city solicitor Rick O’Connor (left, in photo above) says the city can’t unilaterally cancel its contract with Plasco without a judge’s permission now that the company is under creditors’ protection.

It won’t be entirely smooth sailing over the next while for the city when it comes to Plasco, and not just because the city needs a court’s permission to unilaterally end its contract. Decommissioning the Plasco site, which sits on city land, looks like it’ll take 18 months. Plasco had already given the city a $300,000 deposit for the decommissioning and Tuesday, Kirkpatrick told councillors that he was “comfortable” that the deposit would cover the winding-down costs. Let’s hope he’s right.

Also over the years, the city has paid Plasco a so-called tipping fee to take our garbage for the company to process in its facility, although at the moment of the creditor protection filing, it’s the city that owes Plasco $15,000.

So, all in all, Ottawa taxpayers get off fairly lightly. (The people of Blind River were not so lucky, as the Citizen’s Vito Pilieci describes — they’re owed almost $18 million by Plasco).

But it wasn’t always clear that taxpayers were to be shielded from any possible Plasco fallout.

Indeed, in late 2011, the Citizen reported that the city was in discussions with Infrastructure Ontario, the provincial agency that lends money to to municipalities, about possibly getting Plasco a loan.

Here’s a bit from my Nov. 3, 2011 column:

Quote:
On Tuesday, Ontario Infrastructure Minister Bob Chiarelli told Citizen reporter Mohammed Adam that the city and Plasco had “made some preliminary contact with Infrastructure Ontario.” Also that the “city and Plasco have an agreement to move forward in partnership with an expanded facility.”

Infrastructure Ontario is owned by the provincial government. Among other things, the Crown corporation manages public infrastructure projects and doles out low-rate loans to back them. Chiarelli was quick to point out that he was not in any way involved in approving an Infrastructure Ontario loan.

The agency does not give loans to private companies, only to municipalities and related entities.
Soon after media reports about the city’s discussions with Infrastructure Ontario surfaced, all talk about the possibility of the city taking an equity stake in Plasco came to a halt. It’s hard to say for sure that it was media reports that ended those discussions, but we’d like to think our reporting had a hand in it!

And to be fair, there were many skeptical councillors who wouldn’t have supported the idea of taking an equity stake in Plasco and directed city staff to come up with a contract that posed virtually no risk to taxpayers. Which is more or less what happened. (Turns out, you get what you pay for.)

But there’s something else in this whole Plasco mess about which we can count ourselves lucky. We now have time to devise a proper garbage strategy. We’ve got 43 years left in the landfill, so there’s no need to rush to replace Plasco with another Plascoesque technology. As a city, we’ve reached a 52% diversion rate for curbside, so clearly there’s more to be done on that score. (The green-bin program has loads of room for improvement, from helping people use it more effectively, creating a workable strategy for buildings, and possibly renegotiating the contract.

Do we need a solution to handle the residual waste? Sure, eventually. But as Coun. David Chernushenko says, the key is to get that residual waste down to smallest amount possible and then burn it, or plasmify it, or whatever. The environment committee chairman — who appears to have the support of some councillors and all of the handful of public delegations who spoke to the Plasco file at Tuesday’s meeting — wants to make every effort to increase recycling and reduction, and that includes lobbying the province to change the packaging standards for manufacturers. (The province could also enforce its diversion targets for the IC&I sector — that’s industrial, commercial and institutional — which are woefully low.)

There’s plenty the city could do to extend the life of the landfill before taxpayers shell out tens of millions for some sort of incinerator. Perhaps we could consider fees related to the amount of garbage we produce, instead of a flat fee per home. The New York mayor, for example, announced last month that the city will ban single-use styrofoam by summer. There’s no reason Ottawa can’t do the same.

We’re lucky to have the opportunity to take another shot at waste diversion. We’re lucky we have the time to consider what could work more effectively and to try new strategies. And now we just need to see whether we’re lucky enough to have the political leadership to make a real change on how we produce and handle our garbage.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0217-plasco

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 2:18 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City could be on hook for additional Plasco costs

Published on: February 25, 2015, Last Updated: February 25, 2015 4:25 PM EST

Ottawa taxpayers could be on the hook for costs related to the city-owned Plasco Energy property if city lawyers fail to convince a commercial court judge to give priority to company funds earmarked for decommissioning the site.

“I’m worried if there’s any cost that we’re going to be burdened with,” Mayor Jim Watson told reporters after Wednesday’s city council meeting. “We will vigorously defend our position before the courts.”

Earlier this month, Plasco filed successfully in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for creditor protection under the Company Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA), freezing any actions against the company for 30 days ending on March 11. On March 3, Plasco and its creditors will appear in a Toronto courtroom, where creditors — including the City of Ottawa — are expected to argue that debts owed them should be honoured ahead of those of other creditors.

In a memo to councillors on Tuesday, city solicitor Rick O’Connor explained that while the city has a $300,000 letter of credit for remediating the city-owned property where Plasco has its waste-to-energy demonstration plant, Plasco has not asked that the letter of credit be given priority over other secured creditors. Lawyers from Borden Ladner Gervais representing the city will argue that Plasco “pay into the court the $300,000.”

However, there’s no guarantee that the commercial court judge will give the city’s letter of credit priority over other secured creditors. The same goes for the additional $950,000 Plasco had set aside for decommissioning its site. Right now that, too, will be just one of the many claims creditors are making on Plasco’s assets.

Exactly what assets the company has is unclear. For example, Plasco does not own the equipment at the Trail Road facility. The company sold to and leased back the equipment from North Shore Power Group, which is wholly owned by the Municipality of Blind River and is owed more than $17 million by Plasco. Court documents state that, as of Dec. 31, 2014, Plasco had $116.6 million in consolidated liabilities.

According to the memo from O’Connor, city and Plasco representatives met on Feb. 18 when “Plasco discussed what it saw as the ‘road ahead’ under the CCAA process. This was mainly about Plasco exploring the potential for the sale of its intellectual property in the next four to six months.”

It is too early to say what Plasco’s proprietary technology might be worth.

Despite the complex situation — and the risk to city taxpayers — no one on council asked a single question on the Plasco file. Indeed, the environment committee’s decision to terminate the city’s contract with Plasco was simply carried unanimously without discussion.

At the March 3 court appearance, the city’s lawyers will also ask for the judge to allow the city to unilaterally end its contract with Plasco.

twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0226-plasco

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:01 AM

I read somewhere there were whispers the City may build an incinerator in the Trail Road Dump near Barrhaven but with Plasco no longer in the picture, that plan maybe on hold indefinitely!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Backers of east-end waste facility accept environment committee constraints

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 21, 2015, Last Updated: April 21, 2015 3:35 PM EDT

The backers of a large-scale industrial landfill and recycling facility proposed for the city’s east end say they can live with constraints recommended Tuesday by the environment committee.

Taggart Miller Environmental Services, a joint venture of Taggart Investments Inc. and Miller Waste Systems Inc., has been working since 2010 on a proposal that would bring a new facility for processing industrial, commercial and institutional waste (known in the industry as IC&I) to a site on Boundary Road, adjacent to Highway 417, about three kilometres south of Carlsbad Springs.

The facility would also process organics, construction and demolition waste, contaminated soil and leaf and yard scraps, and store residual waste in a large landfill.

Taggart Miller is proposing to accept waste at a rate of 1,000 to 1,500 tonnes per day, or an equivalent of 300,000 to 450,000 tonnes per year. It anticipates that the landfill will operate for about three decades.

Because the province oversees the IC&I waste sector, it has the ultimate authority to approve or reject the project. The city’s role, at this stage, is to provide comments as part of the ongoing environmental assessment.

In those comments, prepared by staff and discussed Tuesday, the city says the total amount of garbage brought to the proposed new landfill should decrease over time as diversion rates rise.

It also expects that waste and contaminated soils originating outside of Ottawa and portions of Eastern Ontario will not be accepted at the site for processing or disposal.

And it wants assurance that the total amount of garbage going into the landfill is always be less than the amount of material recycled at the facility.

The committee then voted to amend the staff comments to:
  • specifically restrict the service area to the City of Ottawa boundaries and those of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell and the United Counties of Stormont Glengarry
  • prevent Taggart Miller from charging less for waste loads going directly to the landfill than for loads being recycled
  • limit the daily maximum volume of leachate allowed to be trucked to the city’s waste water treatment facility from the proposed site to 180,000 litres (equivalent of six truckloads) per day, five days per week
  • require the proponents to create a public liaison committee to work with the community.

Speaking for the company that bears her name, Michelle Taggart said the proponents “can work within these conditions.”

She added that, if approved, the project would pump $400 million into the local economy, including an estimated $130 million of capital expenditures. An estimated 80 to 100 full-time jobs would be created.

While a number of delegations spoke in favour of the proposal, community support does not appear universal.

“The site is not right. There are real risks,” said Sue Langlois of the Capital Region Citizens Coalition for the Protection of the Environment.

Cumberland Coun. Stephen Blais said the company must do a better job working with the community.

“It’s been a rocky road to say the least,” he said. “The psychological contract with the community was broken pretty early.”

Taggart said the proponents would pay $0.47 per tonne into a community benefit fund that can be spent on whatever community members choose.

She added Taggart Miller hopes to get a decision from the province this summer.

If that’s secured, the company would need to return to city hall to get the land rezoned.

If all goes according to plan, construction would begin within two to three years and the facility would be operational within five years.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ee-constraints

Last edited by rocketphish; Apr 22, 2015 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:14 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Are they just endorsing the dump applicant, or lobbying to get us to take their garbage?

Quote:
York official flies into Ottawa to trumpet dump applicant

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 09:11 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 09:18 PM EDT

A municipal official from York Region flew to Ottawa Tuesday to endorse a company that's planning to build a dump and recycling facility in the nation's capital.

Ron Gordon, manager of waste operations in York, delivered a rave review of Miller Waste Systems to Ottawa council's environment committee.

Miller is partnering with developer Taggart Investments to build a waste facility off Boundary Rd., south of Carlsbad Springs in east Ottawa. The companies go by Taggart Miller for this project.

Gordon told councillors he has worked with Miller for five years. Miller provides waste services to the regional municipality.

"In my opinion, Miller's engineering and operating expertise in the recycling field is second to none," Gordon told the committee, ending with, "if they claim they can do something, they will do it and it will be well done."

No councillor had a question for Gordon.

According to York Region environmental commissioner Erin Mahoney, Miller requested that the region speak to Ottawa's environment committee about the company's performance in York.

York senior management signed off on the trip. It wasn't a direction from regional council, Mahoney said.

"Miller is a fairly large employer in York Region and they're doing well for us in terms of value for money as a contractor and so from an economic development perspective we thought providing Ottawa with the benefit of the York Region experience might be helpful," Mahoney told the Sun in a phone interview.

Gordon's trip to Ottawa -- flights in and out on the same day -- will cost York Region taxpayers a "few hundred dollars," Mahoney said.

Ottawa city staff are submitting comments to the province on an environment assessment of Taggart Miller's proposed waste facility, dubbed the Capital Region Resource Recovery Centre. It would serve the industrial, commercial and institutional sector, which is regulated by the province.

Council needs to approve the staff comments.

All but one of the roughly 10 delegations at committee spoke in favour of plan.

The Compost Council of Canada, Building Owners and Managers Association, Pomerleau Inc. and the owner of eco store terra20 provided positive insights about the plan.

On the other hand, a citizens' coalition led by president Sue Langlois warned councillors about environmental implications of building a new dump. The group is particularly concerned about the integrity of the Leda clay on which the dump will be built and the truck traffic.

The committee approved motions requesting the company reduce the number of leachate tanker trucks, establish a public liaison committee and restrict the proposed service area.

Twitter: @JonathanWilling

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/04/21/...dump-applicant

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 2:48 AM

Good news for Barrhaven residents

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...smantle-plant/

he city has secured $300,000 in a settlement with Plasco Energy Group to decommission the waste-to-energy company’s demonstration facility on Trail Road.

The settlement was finalized on April 29, according to a memo sent by city solicitor Rick O’Connor to council.

“This will confirm that the city has now reached a settlement with Plasco and the Bank of Nova Scotia,” he said in the memo.

“The settlement agreement, signed by all three parties, was filed in court in Toronto on Wednesday, April 29, 2015, and the court approved its execution this morning.”

The $300,000 settlement will be held for six months by the city’s external legal counsel, before the city can start to dismantle the demonstration facility, which is on city land near the Trail Road landfill.

City council looked to formally cut ties with Plasco in late February after the company sought creditor protection and cut 80 employees loose. Plasco had missed multiple deadlines to secure financing to build a new $200 million facility on Moodie Drive.

Plasco’s relationship with the city dates back to 2006, when the company leased some city land to explore its innovative technology.

The city then signed a contract with Plasco in 2011, hoping Ottawa would one day take advantage of lower waste disposal rates promised by the company’s cutting-edge plasma gasification technology.

The city would have paid Plasco $82.25 per tonne of waste and $9.1 million a year to convert its garbage into electricity.

The contract did not tie any city funding to the proposed facility and required Plasco to come up with the money on its own to build it.

Plasco, however, never found the financing it needed, and the deal fell apart. The city officially cancelled its commercial contract with the company on March 3.

While the commercial agreement was over, the city was still in negotiations to get the $300,000 letter of credit released by Plasco.

The company originally had a 30 day deadline to restructure under the province’s Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act, but that deadline was extended until July 17, according to court documents.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

York Region trash heading to Ottawa?

By Susan Sherring, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 08:47 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, June 04, 2015 08:50 PM EDT

Could more Toronto garbage be coming to Ottawa?

That's what some some are now fearing with news coming from York Region suggesting they don't want another landfill -- but there are others that could take their trash -- including Ottawa.

The Capital Region Citizens Coalition for the Protection of the Environment (CRCCPE), and the Citizens' Environmental Stewardship Association sent out a news release Thursday warning Ottawans about the report tagging Ottawa. (The report identified) existing landfills as well as applications for new landfills in the Ottawa area, including the Taggart-Miller CRRRC landfill proposed for east Ottawa, as a potential recipient of York's waste.

"Ottawa and the Eastern Ontario Region currently have sufficient landfill capacity to meet local long term waste disposal requirements, but other areas such as the GTA and surrounding regions have a real need for additional residual waste disposal. Are they looking at Ottawa to dump their trash?" the news release reads.

The report describes York Region's position "against more landfills in their jurisdiction, while suggesting other regions could absorb their waste instead."

It also points out at meeting of the city's environment committee in April to discuss and approve staff comments on the final environmental assessment prepared by Taggart-Miller for their proposed Ottawa landfill.

"The York Region waste manager attended this meeting and provided his support for Miller and their CRRRC landfill project.

"Given the current waste problem in York Region, and the report cited above, it would appear they may have a vested interest in seeing the Taggart Miller Landfill in Ottawa move forward."

@SusanSherring

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/06/04/...ding-to-ottawa

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 6:48 PM

York Region -> Ottawa?? Seriously?? Get York to find a landfill that isn't 500 kilometres away from them.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

‘The largest component will still be a landfill’: WM planner
Residents unhappy with Waste Management site plan for dump expansion

By Jessica Cunha
West Carleton Review, Jun 22, 2015

A site plan for the Carp dump expansion puts too much focus on the landfill with little information available about other proposed areas within the Waste Management Environmental Centre, said many residents at a site plan meeting.

Mary Catherine Augusta, a Huntley Manor resident, questioned where the new diversion and recycling facility – touted by Waste Management in previous literature – was located as she didn’t see it in the site plan.

Tim Murphy, WM project manager, said it will be housed in the current waste transfer and processing facility located on the south side of the existing landfill. He said Waste Management can’t determine if more space is needed until it starts accepting waste.

“Then we can look at if the space is adequate,” he said, adding Waste Management is “looking for people to segregate at source,” before sending materials to the landfill.

A number of residents were unhappy with that plan.

“I feel that was miss-sold and misrepresented, the diversion and environmental centre,” said Tanya Hein, a Fairwinds-Stittsville resident.

Many attendees pointed to the proposed landfill’s website where Waste Management wrote: “Waste Management is proposing a new, integrated multi-purpose waste management facility to serve the City of Ottawa and the surrounding communities. Waste diversion is the primary focus of the West Carleton Environmental Centre.

“This facility represents an entirely new approach to managing waste in our region. The proposed design is focused on dividing materials into distinct streams that will allow us to maximize re-use, recovery and recycling opportunities. This represents a significant step forward in how we can reduce our dependence on disposal and make our region a leader in Ontario in responsible waste management.”

But at the meeting, Murphy confirmed “the largest component (of the site) will still be a landfill.”

NOT ENOUGH DETAIL

The proposed landfill expansion will take up about 40 hectares of land, and about 60 per cent of the height of the existing landfill, said Murphy. The dump would be able to accept 400,000 tonnes of waste per year and the diversion facility able to process about 125,000 tonnes. The projected lifespan of the landfill is 10-plus years.

The meeting, held Monday, June 15 in Carp, featured Waste Management’s plans for the expanded landfill but not enough detail on the other areas, said resident Harold Moore.

“They’re putting a great spin it,” said Moore, who lives about one kilometre from the site on the West Carleton side.

“The site plan is more focused on the landfill. There’s not a lot of detail on the diversion facilities. There’s no information on the recreational facilities. They talk about greenhouses but that’s not on the site plan … There’s no detailed perspective on vegetation screening.”

The site plan calls for the removal of about 10.65 hectares of forest, with 9.04 hectares of “forest compensation area,” which includes site screening.

West Carleton-March Coun. Eli El-Chantiry said one thing he’d like to see is mature trees planted as site-screening. That way, residents wouldn’t have to wait 15 years for the trees to mature and block the view, he said.

“I think it needs some more work,” said the councillor about the site plan, which was submitted to the city last month. “I want to hear from residents, what do they want to see?”

El-Chantiry added that one plus is the inclusion of a 300-metre southbound merge lane to help keep traffic moving.

Murphy said one of Waste Management’s “aspirations” is to offer recreational services. However, recreational areas on the grounds would not be available until after the proposed landfill was filled and closed.

The city’s planner, Sean Moore, is accepting comments and feedback on the site plan until June 25. To see the plan’s documents, visit wcec.wm.com. Submit comments to sean.moore@ottawa.ca.

Waste Management has also submitted its Environmental Compliance Approval application to the Ministry of the Environment.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...ll-wm-planner/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion