HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 5:46 PM

Question What is the most bustling streetfront in Altanta?

I'm talking multi-landlord, multi-tenant, calssic streetfronts. Atlanta isn't know for them but there are a few--and there is one particularly that stands out as having an exceptional level of foot traffic and retail density. I'll try to take some pics after work and post later.

In the meantime, what are your ideas?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 5:52 PM

Peachtree, Juniper, Monroe, Ponce de Leon, and Piedmont are a few I know of.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 6:05 PM

I guess I was thinking along specific blocks--N Highland north of Ponce, for example

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 6:09 PM
Urban Explorer

Little 5.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 6:38 PM

South Downtown is still good for that, too. But I think you find a lot more of this in the small towns and suburbs. Decatur is great, of course, and Roswell is very pleasant.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 8:05 PM

Andrea got it--south downtown. Specifically Peachtree Street between Alabama and MLK--totally packed with people lots of the time.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 8:11 PM

At least during weekdays..... Broad St from Walton to Luckie

10th between Piedmont and the park

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 10:00 PM
i ain't no bubba

East Atlanta has its ups & downs but tends to stay busy. The area of Highland north of Freedon Parkway (near Parish) has an amazing amount of new retail and at least at night is pretty busy.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Andrea got it--south downtown. Specifically Peachtree Street between Alabama and MLK--totally packed with people lots of the time.
Agreed, this certainly has the most pedestrian traffic.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 12:08 AM

It's just unfortunate that its such a trashy area. Really wish there could be more continuity downtown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd1588 View Post
It's just unfortunate that its such a trashy area. Really wish there could be more continuity downtown.
agreed. i'd much rather be in the bustle near 10th/Piedmont.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 3:34 PM

The stretch of peachtree from the Ritz Carlton to where west peachtree splits off is pretty good.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 1:41 AM

On weekend nights, CLEARLY in front of the W Hotel on 14th and the corner of 14th and Peachtree, then eminating to the legitimate and illegal parking from there.

Daytime weekends, I would agree that Little Five Points and 10th to Piedmont as well as Virginia and Highlands. Atlantic Station has good weekends too.
American since 1-20-2009"

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 3:48 AM

Anyone who is still nominating areas other than South Downtown has never driven through there....it's not even close.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 4:23 AM

I've seen vast improvements with street level activity on Peachtree between 5th and 10th Street over the past 5 years. It is by no means bustling but still really nice, especially early evening between 6-9pm.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeAtlantan View Post
Anyone who is still nominating areas other than South Downtown has never driven through there....it's not even close.
Not necessarily. Although that area does have the best infrastructure(unkept as it may be) it is by no means the most bustling. After 6 PM virtually everything closes. Not only that, south of MLK Drive, it really does thin out. That is only the area between Peachtree(Whitehall), Broad, Alabama and Forsyth Streets during the daytime. And even that is extreme urban blight.

The area around Mitchell Street has great street life in the daytime, but by no means would I consider it bustling. It mainly benefits from a classical grid system of downtown and the fact that the buildings are built up to the street. I think this entire South Downtown area has the best potential, from an architectural standpoint. But the city will likely never give it the attention it deserves, because all of the real money has moved north to Midtown.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily. Although that area does have the best infrastructure(unkept as it may be) it is by no means the most bustling. After 6 PM virtually everything closes. Not only that, south of MLK Drive, it really does thin out. That is only the area between Peachtree(Whitehall), Broad, Alabama and Forsyth Streets during the daytime. And even that is extreme urban blight.

The area around Mitchell Street has great street life in the daytime, but by no means would I consider it bustling. It mainly benefits from a classical grid system of downtown and the fact that the buildings are built up to the street. I think this entire South Downtown area has the best potential, from an architectural standpoint. But the city will likely never give it the attention it deserves, because all of the real money has moved north to Midtown.
Agreed. Castleberry Hill's the best thing to happen to downtown since COP.

If COP can continue to grow east and castleberry hill north, and the burn down Underground, it could turn the area around. maybe.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:21 PM

jj

Last edited by amd1588; Feb 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:39 PM

Yea they should give the whole five points area to Georgia State University for expansion. Demolish all those ghetto styles stores, I'm black so let me go on in and be real. Remake five points into a Grand Central Station area for Greyound, Commuter buses, Marta, and trains. Five points is in need of a dramatic culture change. The five points area must be upgraded like now. The area has so much potential. They need to find a way to get idle people off the streets, who are just standing around creating drama. I do believe in helping people who truly have need, but I will never have pity for the lazy. Especially lazy men.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 6:18 PM

Quote:
I wish they would completely close down the Underground and those entire blocks of five points. They should have all of those bus routes at five points station that serve the Projects rerouted to West End station or further south, or west. I then think they should do a massive 3 Billion dollar renovation of the area. And possibly turn the underground into lofts or something. Also included should be a complete demotion of Five Points station. It should ONLY be a subway station, with the area above ground used to build high density apartments, etc.
I completely disagree about rerouting the buses. I live downtown because of the excellent bus and train access. It's really pissed me off that some buses have been rerouted to GSU or other nearby stations, rather than Five Points, because now I never use them.

It might be one thing if the trains rain every minute, but by forcing a modal shift you add 15 minutes to the trip.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta