HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:24 AM
User Registered

Awesome Symz! Thanks for sharing!

Looks like construction is progressing slowly. Once the prep work and the demolition projects are done, it should quickly pick up pace.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Awesome Symz! Thanks for sharing!

Looks like construction is progressing slowly. Once the prep work and the demolition projects are done, it should quickly pick up pace.
Np haljackey! I'll try to contribute what I can, from either my own pictures or from local sources. It's tough getting a good vantage point because we're soo flat down here, but its too big a project to not try to document it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:05 PM

Wow, those are great pictures, there really has been quite a bit of work done already.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:17 PM

There was an aerial video posted today on The Windsor Star as well.

http://www.windsorstar.com/videos/ne...7T3kpyiZlV6s6O

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:13 AM

The WE Parkway is going to be stepping into high gear in December.

http://windsorite.ca/2011/11/tunnel-...tours-planned/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:18 PM

^^^ Thank god, We'll need every single job produced to help combat our growing unemployment rate in this region.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 5:11 PM

Here are a few interesting links. The first link gives some details on the upcoming work that will start on the WE Parkway in December.

http://windsorite.ca/2011/11/tunnel-...tours-planned/

Quote:
A public information open house was held for the Windsor-Essex Parkway today at the Macedonian Community Centre on Howard Avenue.

Plans for the next six months of progress on the Parkway were announced which include placing stockpiles of dirt and other resources, pile driving operations and detours along Huron Church.

Construction crews are preparing to begin digging five of the Parkway’s tunnels this December.

Work includes construction of tunnels at:

Labelle Street
Grand Marais Street (and a bridge west of Grand Marais Street)
Oakwood Street (and bridge east of Pulford Street)
Todd Lane/Cabana (and two bridges nearby)
Hearthwood and Oliver Estates (and a bridge west of Howard)
Villa Borghese
Plans state that at least four lanes of traffic (two in each direction) along Huron Church will be maintained during tunnel construction. Reductions to one lane in each direction may be required during late night hours. Traffic diversions through the areas of tunnel construction will be in effect over the next six months.

Access to all areas — including residential areas west of Huron Church — will be maintained throughout construction by way of diversions.

Officials are proposing a closure of the EC Row Expressway ramp at Matchette road to permit installation of drains for the parkway. Parkway engineers state “consultation on this proposed closure is ongoing”.

Noisy pile driving operations will also be starting in December in areas where tunnel and bridge construction will take place. Pile driving will be limited to daytime hours to reduce noise.

The Windsor-Essex Mobility Group, responsible for liaison functions between the Parkway and the public state that “we want to work as quickly as possible to complete construction so that residents and travellers can start realizing the Parkway’s many benefits”.

For more information on the W-E Parkway, visit the Parkway’s website at www.weparkway.ca
The next 2 links show before and after photos along the proposed roadway, very cool to check out! I will post a few examples.

Part I
http://windsorite.ca/2011/11/border-...ter-in-photos/

Before

After

Part II
http://windsorite.ca/2011/12/border-...photos-part-2/

Before

After

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 6:29 PM

Drove through Windsor en route to Detroit last week - and was shocked at just how much work has been done, and the extent of this project is.

Just hope that bridge gets built, sooner than later - and I'm sure it will be one bit.

BTW, I don't know how the Ambassador Bridge is even permitted to be open, driving from Michigan over to Canada is downright confusing and scary..

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Drove through Windsor en route to Detroit last week - and was shocked at just how much work has been done, and the extent of this project is.

Just hope that bridge gets built, sooner than later - and I'm sure it will be one bit.

BTW, I don't know how the Ambassador Bridge is even permitted to be open, driving from Michigan over to Canada is downright confusing and scary..
Detroit is a crazy place and the bridge entrance over there isn't in the best area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Detroit is a crazy place and the bridge entrance over there isn't in the best area.
The freeway network in Detroit is fine, it's just getting from I-75 to the Bridge. So many conflicting signs saying different things, arrows pointed in different directions than expected. Lane markings appearing and disappearing...

I really hope that bridge is closed down permanently once a new bridge is opened. I have no care for Mr. Moroun, and I hope his selfish ways catch up to him in the future.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 9:26 PM

^ That confusion is all due to Moroun. The state has been trying to force the bridge to make direct connections to the interstate system (Moroun faces a court date in January and the bridge president has already been in jail for contempt of court over this issue).

The entire bridge company is a disgrace and just proves that it's necessary for these things to be in public hands.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 4:16 PM

Yeah, the Marouns have forever tarnished their name with this mess they created for themselves. I hope the old bastard and his moron son go to jail and serve some time. I will never use that bridge again.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
BANNED

If you're coming from hamilton to Detroit you should take the blue water in Sarnia. Lots of construction work being done on the approach to the bridge on the Michigan side. The new interchange is gonna look great. I'm heading down to Detroit for the holidays and I'm conflicted. Do I go through Windsor and check out the WE Parkway construction, or through Sarnia and check out the Blue Water Bridge interchange construction??

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 1:59 AM

Well, I'm betting the WE Parkway in Windsor here is probably the larger project. You might not see much as of yet though, when are you coming down this way?

Last edited by Symz; Dec 11, 2011 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebb View Post
If you're coming from hamilton to Detroit you should take the blue water in Sarnia. Lots of construction work being done on the approach to the bridge on the Michigan side. The new interchange is gonna look great. I'm heading down to Detroit for the holidays and I'm conflicted. Do I go through Windsor and check out the WE Parkway construction, or through Sarnia and check out the Blue Water Bridge interchange construction??
Take the 401 to Windsor, drive by the WE parkway construction - which right now, is basically just cleared out properties beside Huron Church Rd. so far.

Then take the tunnel to Detroit.

It's actually an easy connection to the Interstate highways, just turn right or left at the lights when you exit the tunnel in Detroit and you'll connect to I-75.

I wanted to take the tunnel when I drove to Detroit two weeks ago, but I had a group who wanted to see Detroit from above, so the tunnel negated that. I'll never give that idiot owner any of my money though. Wish more Windsorites boycotted the bridge and used the tunnel for that reason alone.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 5:46 AM

Quote:
I'll never give that idiot owner any of my money though. Wish more Windsorites boycotted the bridge and used the tunnel for that reason alone.
The tunnel handles local traffic and the bridge handles the commercial/truck traffic. It's not a matter of which border crossing us Windsorites choose to use.

The bridge also exits closer to the freeway and is closer to Mexican town. Most people when they do go over to Michigan are either shopping at the malls, which you get to via the interstate, or Mexican town for dinner.

Anyways, my point is, by comparison, tunnel = local & no trucks, bridge = trucks, & travellers who don't like to leave the highway system, and by and large the bridge has a multitude of more traffic largely because of the trucks, which aren't allowed in the tunnel.

There's not a 'lack of Windsorites boycotting the bridge' or something as some would have you think. Most Windsorites know the rates at the tunnel are cheaper (if you're paying in Canadian (the bridge rates still vary depending on your currency that you're paying in, even though both currencies are at par, how's that for a rip off)).

This man makes his money mostly from the trucks going through Windsor, no us Windsorites.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Take the 401 to Windsor, drive by the WE parkway construction - which right now, is basically just cleared out properties beside Huron Church Rd. so far.

Then take the tunnel to Detroit.

It's actually an easy connection to the Interstate highways, just turn right or left at the lights when you exit the tunnel in Detroit and you'll connect to I-75.

I wanted to take the tunnel when I drove to Detroit two weeks ago, but I had a group who wanted to see Detroit from above, so the tunnel negated that. I'll never give that idiot owner any of my money though. Wish more Windsorites boycotted the bridge and used the tunnel for that reason alone.
I have boycotted that bridge now for a couple years, I refuse to give him any of my money.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 5:53 PM

I think most Windsorites use the tunnel. People just driving through from other parts of Ontario would be more likely to use the bridge (along with all the trucks).

The construction of the W-E Parkway isn't much to see right now. It pretty much just looks like a tornado blew through.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 11:07 PM
BANNED

I'm surprised that Canadians have to pay more to cross into MI than Americans do. At the Ontario/NY border it's all the same. Whether you're paying in Canadian or US currency, you pay the same amount. Even the toll roads and tolled bridges through out the state let you pay in Canadian

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Well, I'm betting the WE Parkway in Windsor here is probably the larger project. You might not see much as of yet though, when are you coming down this way?
I'm coming down on the 23rd from Toronto

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario