HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Winnipeg is also on the Mid-continiental Corridor conecting Winnipeg and Mexico City straight through. This highway has been designated by the three nations as the primary mid-continental route for truck transportaion between the NAFTA partners.
The same thing already exists for Edmonton. The CANAMEX Highway connects Edmonton with Mexico via AB 2/4 and I-15, and also connects to Alaska.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 7:56 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
Just 'cause the jobs aren't HQ jobs, doesn't mean they have to be on the factory floor.
Come on, so can you say the same about other large corporations that don't have a downtown office location? You know better than that mur.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 8:44 PM

but this will be a direct highway, borders wont be an issue.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 9:09 PM
Movin' on up

These are the links that I would see viable in helping join the continent together, from Western Canada at least;

Hwy 99 and I-5 in BC (at least to California), the CANAMEX Highway in Alberta, the Mid-Continental Corrider in Manitoba (Hwy 75 and I 29). Every area has an advantage of joining Canada with different areas of the US and Mexico.

Southern Ontario is also important for links to the American SE. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 5:56 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Come on, so can you say the same about other large corporations that don't have a downtown office location? You know better than that mur.
I don't disagree about suburban office locations, I'm just saying they don't have to be in the middle of a freakin rail yard.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 6:09 PM
Capitalist

Yes there are other highways connecting north-south, but as you get close to the coast they become less important as shipping becomes more economical. The last time I looked Edmonton and Calgary were not coastal, infact bordered by mountains, which don't make effective travelling routes for highways or rail transport.

Winnipeg has long been plugged into the US Mid-West through highway and rails. It is benifits from the ports at Thunderbay and Churchill, which are both actively connected and supported by rail opperation in Winnipeg.

Take a look at google map of Winnipeg.. there are several large rail yards which eclipse those in either Calgary or Edmonton. Winnipeg is served by variou intermodel stations. In addition Winnipeg is getting closer to developing an extremely large multimodel hub west of the Winnipeg International, connecting both national railways, the airport and the major trucking companies.

Speaking of which 7 ( 5 of the top 10 ) of the largest trucking companies call Winnipeg home, with there HQ in Winnipeg. This is as clear a sign as to where the transportaion business is opperated from.

Winnipeg has been recognized at the Chicago of the North for well over a century.

Last edited by newflyer; Dec 10, 2006 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 6:36 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yes there are other highways connecting north-south, but as you get close to the coast they become less important as shipping becomes more economical. The last time I looked Edmonton and Calgary were not coastal, infact bordered by mountains, which don't make effective travelling routes for highways or rail transport.

Winnipeg has long been plugged into the US Mid-West through highway and rails. It is benifits from the ports at Thunderbay and Churchill, which are both actively connected and supported by rail opperation in Winnipeg.

Take a look at google map of Winnipeg.. there are several large rail yards which eclipse those in either Calgary or Edmonton. Winnipeg is served by variou intermodel stations. In addition Winnipeg is getting closer to developing an extremely large multimodel hub west of the Winnipeg International, connecting both national railways, the airport and the major trucking companies.

Speaking of which 7 ( 5 of the top 10 ) of the largest trucking companies call Winnipeg home, with there HQ in Winnipeg. This is as clear a sign as to where the transportaion business is opperated from.

Winnipeg has been recognized at the Chicago of the North for well over a century.
How many new intermodel yards does Winnipeg have? You know, private money being invested, which you state over and over again is the most accurate indicator of performance? CN just finished building a massive one on the cities west end, CP is about to build a new one south of there existing facility and the Port Alberta concept seems to be quickly gaining momentum. If Winnipeg really was going to be the big winner with port expansion on the west coast you would think they would upgrade facilities there. Edmonton doesn't have it in the bag yet... but things are looking pretty good.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 6:58 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtime View Post
How many new intermodel yards does Winnipeg have? You know, private money being invested, which you state over and over again is the most accurate indicator of performance? CN just finished building a massive one on the cities west end, CP is about to build a new one south of there existing facility and the Port Alberta concept seems to be quickly gaining momentum. If Winnipeg really was going to be the big winner with port expansion on the west coast you would think they would upgrade facilities there. Edmonton doesn't have it in the bag yet... but things are looking pretty good.
Not so much on the West Coast; that is what Vancouver is for.

No, the west coast, IMO, is taken. In terms of rail, the focus now for Winnipeg would be the port of Churchill, which is now set to be Canada's largest arctic shipping port thanks mostly due to global warming (a very bitter sweet win in my opinion) and also though links in Thunder Bay with it's links to the Altantic Ocean.

As for Edmonton, I'm not up to speed on their "port" plans, but they do have an advantage with their northerly location, definately for air transport anyhow. I think both Edmonton and Winnipeg stand to gain due to their geographical locations and stand to be major players in Canada's international transportation sectors.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 7:40 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Winnipeg will always have its place.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 3:25 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
the port of Churchill, which is now set to be Canada's largest arctic shipping port thanks mostly due to global warming
Isn't Churchill Canada's only arctic shipping port?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 3:37 PM
Change is good

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 4:57 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
Winnipeg will always have its place.
I think every city does

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 5:01 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Well, except a couple of towns I know...they could go away.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 6:00 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Are there anymore websites that describe the project in more detail?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 8:33 PM
DRINK

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtime View Post

Cool. Thanks man.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 12:15 AM
Community Guy

thats a pretty decent promo vid....not sure about the scratching, but DANC will give it two holla's up.

They have a solid plan, a great space, good connections, and the will.....just need 3-5 solid players to come in and say "DAMN LET'S HOOK THIS UP" and we are good to go.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 12:29 AM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
thats a pretty decent promo vid....not sure about the scratching, but DANC will give it two holla's up.
I started laughing when the music cranked up... hello Propellerheads knock-off!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan