HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 11:40 AM

Electric Car Charging Stations in Condos

In new developments, many offer charging station plugs installed for added costs in parking stalls however what is the consensus on these as they seem reasonably priced but I don't see Vancouver being like San Fran where there is allot of Electric cars on the roads thus the demand for these seem low

Are these good "investment options" to take on now in anticipation of future needs as I don't foresee myself going electric in the next 10 years?

Logistically where would your stall be situated in new construction as I expect it will be grouped together with other charging station stalls which may be closer to the maintenance core ie closer to the elevators?

Also what security mechanisms may be in place to prevent your neighbour from stealing your electricity which I trust are billed to your condo while you are at work?

What is the market costs for charging stations ie standard vs rapid charge stations?

Thanks

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 3:30 PM

The city government offers some rebate on the installation of the unit. The actual electricity used can be pretty marginal given the overall power use of the condo building.

Where I live, there were 2 installed in the visitor parking area, they are marked for EV only, but anybody can use them as much as they like. As far as I can tell there's only one Tesla and one Leaf that do. Great idea IMO.

As for demand, the provincial government announced some kind of incentive program "up to $7500" for EVs in the budget yesterday, so that could easily spur demand in a big way.

Last edited by WarrenC12; Feb 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The city government offers some rebate on the installation of the unit. The actual electricity used can be pretty marginal given the overall power use of the condo building.

Where I live, there were 2 installed in the visitor parking area, they are marked for EV only, but anybody can use them as much as they like. As far as I can tell there's only one Tesla and one Leaf that do. Great idea IMO.

As for demand, the provincial government announced some kind of incentive program "up to $7500" for EVs in the budget yesterday, so that could easily spur demand in a big way.
Good to hear prov incentives are back

So in your building, the EV stalls are part of the strata fees so all may use it and costs are shared. Where are the stalls situated in relation to the elevators pls?

In presales, the marketers have very few details on EV stations and how they are billed and what is included ie security to prevent unauthorized use etc

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post

So in your building, the EV stalls are part of the strata fees so all may use it and costs are shared. Where are the stalls situated in relation to the elevators pls?

In presales, the marketers have very few details on EV stations and how they are billed and what is included ie security to prevent unauthorized use etc

I have an electric car. the cost to charge is not very much. About $ 20 a month.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:03 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

I have an EV as well. The charger is alarmed on my car, so if it's unplugged my car texts me and the car alarm goes off.

To keep neighbours from using the charger, I'm sure you could just put a lock on it.

For billing, I'd imagine they'll tie it into your electrical meter.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post

Umm... not super convenient to the elevators, like a "bad" parking spot.

Marketers have very few details on a lot of things.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:37 PM

I can't find mention of the incentive program on the internets. Might anyone have a link they could share?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:49 PM

does anybody know of a possibility of adding charging stations to older buildings?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I can't find mention of the incentive program on the internets. Might anyone have a link they could share?
I looked for it too, I couldn't even find it in the budget itself. I got the info from CKNW:

http://www.cknw.com/2015/02/17/budget-highlights/

Quote:
The government is bringing back an incentive program for electric and low-emission vehicles, providing rebates of up to $7,500. Details being finalized.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
The charger is alarmed on my car, so if it's unplugged my car texts me and the car alarm goes off.
I know this is irrelevant, but you guys have cell network in your carage so that the car can send the text? I guess the problem is only with very deep parkades, like ours is...

Also, there was a similar discussion or thread on different condo amenities, like EV charging. Worth searching for some other tips.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 9:11 PM

So Alex, is that your own personal charger? If so, did you pay to get it installed? Strata problems?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion