HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:47 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...ations-in.html

Enterprise parent company, Enterprise Holdings, are relocating it south central u.s. headquarter office to legacy office plaza off valleydale road....rumored to be close to 1,000 jobs
Still confused about this one. The HQ, according to their website, is already in Vestavia. Are they relocating within the metro, but still adding jobs?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:13 PM
Burming Hammer

I've started a spreadsheet to try and capture all the development projects in Birmingham (city limits primarily). Still needs a ton of work, but feel free to comment or update anything:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:28 PM
The Salty Ham

Nice work. Lot of money out there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 7:39 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I've started a spreadsheet to try and capture all the development projects in Birmingham (city limits primarily). Still needs a ton of work, but feel free to comment or update anything:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Yea, good work! You can add the Comfort Inn at the Crossplex, and the expansion of BBVA Compass Field (UAB Soccer Stadium). Also, the Children's new parking deck, and the recently announced YMCA development at the Crossplex.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 1:31 AM

Hoover retail development:

The new shopping center at 150 and 459 will have an Aldi (Sign was up today on the building). They also had a sign that directs to the rental group site (mapdev.us). I was able to find this, which shows other stores that will be there.

http://www.mapdev.us/wp-content/uplo...compressed.pdf

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 12:29 AM

The 30 story 700,000 sf former AT&T building for $31 million. The buyer VCP City Center an Atlanta based group plan to put 300 apartments, office space and retail bringing new life to the 6th avenue 19th street north area.

Last edited by Bamablazer; Nov 9, 2018 at 1:44 PM. Reason: add name of developer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:04 PM
Burming Hammer

A couple of 7-story apartment complexes coming to Parkside, mostly geared towards UAB students:

UAB student housing coming to downtown Birmingham

Apartment project in Parkside takes step forward

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:44 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:51 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Groundbreaking for BJCC stadium will be tomorrow (Thursday Dec 13) at 1 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
anyone know a timeline for that project at The Break?
Just walked past The Break this morning, a large U-haul truck parked out back. I looked in the window the gaming floor was empty. So demolition, ground breaking and construction probably not far off.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Just walked past The Break this morning, a large U-haul truck parked out back. I looked in the window the gaming floor was empty. So demolition, ground breaking and construction probably not far off.
They had closed up shop a couple weeks ago.

So we can look forward to this tower, 3rd building of midtown, liberty national building, brown-marx, americian life building and commerce center building on 1st ave all perhaps coming to life in 2019..???

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
They had closed up shop a couple weeks ago.

So we can look forward to this tower, 3rd building of midtown, liberty national building, brown-marx, americian life building and commerce center building on 1st ave all perhaps coming to life in 2019..???
Wow, I did not know they had already closed up shop two weeks earlier, I thought I would have seen a closed sign in the windows and not covertly move out.

UAB has a large dormitory about 8 floors 720 beds with a dining hall down on 10th Avenue and 16th Street they also mentioned a 7 to 8 story Genomic Medicine building down on 18th Street and University BLVD with ground breaking in 2018, but that is not looking too promising right now, the land still has containers sitting there left over from the School of Nursing expansion.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:31 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I guess things are finally moving forward.

Developer buys The Break site in Five Points South for $2.6M

Brent Godwin
Birmingham Biz Journal
January 3, 2019

Quote:
A real estate development company has purchased a property in Five Points South where it previously proposed a 17-story multifamily project.

Jefferson County public records show an entity called ODC Collingsworth Birmingham LLC purchased 1001 20th St. S. from Frederick J. Meeks Jr. for $2.65 million. The LLC is registered to the same address in Rosemont, Illinois as commercial real estate firm The Opus Group.

The Opus Group in 2017 proposed a $40 million development at the site, which has long been home to The Break billiards hall. Opus' plans at that time called for a 17-story tower that would include nearly 200 apartment units geared toward students at nearby UAB. The project previously received approvals from the Design Review Committee with only minor adjustments.

It is not immediately clear if the developer's plans for the property remain the same, but regardless of the specifics of a future development, it would add fuel to the already changing Five Points South area.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 11:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

It feels like just yesterday that Amazon announced that they'd be building a distribution center in Bessemer.

I drove by the contruction site earlier this afternoon and WOW. The building is enormous! They've finished construction of exterior walls, and it looks like they're beginning to coat and finish that part of the building.

I though when I drove by, I'd be seeing some foundation work at most, so I was shocked when I saw how much progress had been made. I wonder if Amazon is always this bullish on the construction of their distribution centers....

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:29 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
It feels like just yesterday that Amazon announced that they'd be building a distribution center in Bessemer.

I drove by the contruction site earlier this afternoon and WOW. The building is enormous! They've finished construction of exterior walls, and it looks like they're beginning to coat and finish that part of the building.

I though when I drove by, I'd be seeing some foundation work at most, so I was shocked when I saw how much progress had been made. I wonder if Amazon is always this bullish on the construction of their distribution centers....
Have you ever driven by the Dollar General dist. center in Bessemer? How does it compare in size to that?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:17 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Have you ever driven by the Dollar General dist. center in Bessemer? How does it compare in size to that?
I'd say they're probably close to the same size. But, it was hard to get a good, long look at it from Powder Plant Rd as I was driving so I can't really say for certain.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I'd say they're probably close to the same size. But, it was hard to get a good, long look at it from Powder Plant Rd as I was driving so I can't really say for certain.
Amazon Bessemer 855,000 square feet.

Dollar General Bessemer 1,000,000 square feet.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:32 PM

https://www.opus-group.com/News/Opus...-at-Birmingham

It's on...official statement from their website

2nd 17 story about to start in 5 points south

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 7:17 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
https://www.opus-group.com/News/Opus...-at-Birmingham

It's on...official statement from their website

2nd 17 story about to start in 5 points south
More cranes!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:42 AM

The Children's Hospital Parking Deck is going to be MASSIVE. If it is still going to be 12 stories, it's huge now at the moment at what I would guess is 4 floors...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast