HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Yes, but only once the Prince of Wales bridge is allowed to rot, then rebuilt in about 30 years as "BRT", then planned for conversion to O-Train use, then a new council is voted in in Ottawa, who can the plan, then replaced by one that supports the plan, then Gatineau council rejects the plan, and then they get replaced by a council which supports it, about which time the new Ottawa council rejects it, by which time the BRT bridge has to be replaced again anyway, with a regular traffic bridge with diamonds in the outside lanes, and then someone suggests maybe running a train into downtown Hull, so they decide to build a brand new rail bridge, but then the NCC decides it wouldn't be consistent with their vision of the world's most boring national capital, and insist that it be a tunnel, but the federal government won't pony up any cash, and some time in the 2300s there's this consultation process, and the cycle continues ad infinitum until the heat death of the sun.
KHOOL!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:47 AM
Awesome!

Sounds like some councillors want to meet with the one who is proposing the cheap renovation option at the actual site. What a shame! Given the horrendus shape of the current arena, might as well re-build it from scratch. All the walls, seating area, facade, ice surface, heating/cooling/ventaliation/plumbing has to be replaced. Not to mention due the extensiveness of the renovations needed to be done, it might force the Olympiques out of the arena for a season. Obviously, I'm completely against the renovations option, a new construction at the site would bother less, but the Brigil or EB site would be my favorite two options/locations.

Meantime, Wondering what would be the capacity for the complex with two ices at Nicolas-Gatineau will be. Probably not enough to suit the Olympiques unfortuneatly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:50 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Yes, but only once the Prince of Wales bridge is allowed to rot, then rebuilt in about 30 years as "BRT", then planned for conversion to O-Train use, then a new council is voted in in Ottawa, who can the plan, then replaced by one that supports the plan, then Gatineau council rejects the plan, and then they get replaced by a council which supports it, about which time the new Ottawa council rejects it, by which time the BRT bridge has to be replaced again anyway, with a regular traffic bridge with diamonds in the outside lanes, and then someone suggests maybe running a train into downtown Hull, so they decide to build a brand new rail bridge, but then the NCC decides it wouldn't be consistent with their vision of the world's most boring national capital, and insist that it be a tunnel, but the federal government won't pony up any cash, and some time in the 2300s there's this consultation process, and the cycle continues ad infinitum until the heat death of the sun.
If I could sig this, I would.

Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Sounds like some councillors want to meet with the one who is proposing the cheap renovation option at the actual site. What a shame! Given the horrendus shape of the current arena, might as well re-build it from scratch. All the walls, seating area, facade, ice surface, heating/cooling/ventaliation/plumbing has to be replaced. Not to mention due the extensiveness of the renovations needed to be done, it might force the Olympiques out of the arena for a season. Obviously, I'm completely against the renovations option, a new construction at the site would bother less, but the Brigil or EB site would be my favorite two options/locations.

Meantime, Wondering what would be the capacity for the complex with two ices at Nicolas-Gatineau will be. Probably not enough to suit the Olympiques unfortuneatly.
I am starting to wounder if the owner of the olympiques amd jeff hunt maybe should team up and build a sports complex at the eb site that could feature a arena for both teams a football stadium etc.As for the nicolas gatineau arena yes it would be to small as my understand the max the main rink will hold is just under 1000.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I am starting to wounder if the owner of the olympiques amd jeff hunt maybe should team up and build a sports complex at the eb site that could feature a arena for both teams a football stadium etc.As for the nicolas gatineau arena yes it would be to small as my understand the max the main rink will hold is just under 1000.
non-starter, I'm pretty sure that the EB Eddy site is owned by the NCC.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
non-starter, I'm pretty sure that the EB Eddy site is owned by the NCC.
If both went to the ncc and ask the ncc to work with them and have a major input everyone could get what they want more or less.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:32 PM
Awesome!

Expect that EB site to remain the eyesore as it is for at least 25 years, same thing along the Chaudiere Bridge corridor.

Any link to any redevelopment proposals for that site by the way. You can put the Tech Museum on the Tache side with the arena and probably some residential, office, commercial (restaurants, small stores, etc), and greenspace on the Laurier side not to mention a possible BRT/LRT corridor. Similar stuff should be done once Kroger on the other side of the Portage in front of City Hall will be gone.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:45 PM
Awesome!

I was pretty sure that the Nicolas-Gatineau arena would be just for the Midget AAA team considering their current arena (Baribeau), like most of the other small public arenas (Campeau, Beaudry, Cholette, Sabourin) are in ruins and also much like Guertin in such dire need of renovations, that it might be better to rebuild it from scratch.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Expect that EB site to remain the eyesore as it is for at least 25 years, same thing along the Chaudiere Bridge corridor.

Any link to any redevelopment proposals for that site by the way. You can put the Tech Museum on the Tache side with the arena and probably some residential, office, commercial (restaurants, small stores, etc), and greenspace on the Laurier side not to mention a possible BRT/LRT corridor. Similar stuff should be done once Kroger on the other side of the Portage in front of City Hall will be gone.
I just think if jeff hunt and the owner of the olympiques went to the ncc with a plan and the ncc would have a say and get alot out of it they would be silly to turn it down.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:16 PM

Quote:
I just think if jeff hunt and the owner of the olympiques went to the ncc with a plan and the ncc would have a say and get alot out of it they would be silly to turn it down.
and with a little pixie dust we might be able to turn the RCMP's chargers into unicorns; but in the real world, Jeff Hunt is part of the Lansdown redevelopment and the NCC has no interest whatsoever in local sports facilities.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:53 PM
Awesome!

Mark this project as dead... well at least from the mayor's proposed site. The mayor was withdrew his support for this site as well as all but two of the remaining councillors who were in support of Bureau's project. Cost for acquiring those lands including expropriations are tabled at about $33 million and one factor for the higher than expected cost is the construction of the federal office tower on Eddy Street by Brocollini which increased the value of the lands targeted by the city for the arena.

Now, the question is whether it will be a renovation or a new construction on the actual site. Again as I've said before, the complete sad state of the current arena will probably force the city to build a brand new arena and tear down the current one afterwards.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Mark this project as dead... well at least from the mayor's proposed site. The mayor was withdrew his support for this site as well as all but two of the remaining councillors who were in support of Bureau's project. Cost for acquiring those lands including expropriations are tabled at about $33 million and one factor for the higher than expected cost is the construction of the federal office tower on Eddy Street by Brocollini which increased the value of the lands targeted by the city for the arena.

Now, the question is whether it will be a renovation or a new construction on the actual site. Again as I've said before, the complete sad state of the current arena will probably force the city to build a brand new arena and tear down the current one afterwards.
What do you think is more likely a new one or a reno of the current one.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 7:34 PM

I've always thought having the new rink back onto des Allumeteries would be a great addition to that area. Might be able to convince an resto to open up there as well. Having the parking then behind the new rink into where the current rink is.

The new private rink at Nicolas-Gatineau will be small and will be used for the Midget AAA and also the AA regional teams at the Pee-Wee and Bantam levels. Also don't forget this rink is to have 2 pads, not just one!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:36 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
What do you think is more likely a new one or a reno of the current one.
City has stated there would be more risks with just a simple renovation. That might be a factor trend to a new construction and anyways as I said, the condition that this build is, the city would be much better off to make a full new construction. Just with the renovation, I would bet there would be still a lot of problems.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 8:48 PM
Awesome!

A decision was finally made, the current Bob will be demolished and replaced by a brand arena on the current site. Cost will be $63 million. There will be 700 ground parking space and an additionnal 200 spaces in a multi-level structure.

Since, the Bureau project of having it built on Montcalm was dead, it was a no-brainer to just simply built a brand new arena on the actual site (although other sites could have been great too) since the renovation option would probably not end all the major issues the arena has been plagued. Remember during the QJMHL final, the ice essentially became a lake and they've barely been able to freeze the ice sufficently enough to not postpone Game 3. Another proof, that a new construction was much needed instead of the patchwork project by Mr. Brunet.

All this soap opera cost us the chance to host the Memorial Cup next year, so we will have to wait until 2015

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:13 PM

Glad the decision is made, though it could have been made years ago...

Arena will back on des Allumettieres, with the current site being used as parking. Really looking forward to this getting built. One interesting note is a request from the Olympiques owner - he wants the seat pitch to be the same as it is now - he wants to keep the crowd on top of the ice! Hope they can do that, there isn't a rink around with the atmoshpere of the Bob ;-)

I am skeptical of us getting the Memorial Cup for 2015, we may have to wait until 2018 (I am guessing Cape Breton will get the 2015 if they bid for it). Either way, this is great news!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 7:49 PM
Awesome!

Wow, this project really shows how bad the mayor is fairing. He gave the federal government until the Holidays on to decide whether they contribute to the project even though many of us knew that the feds refused to fund for stadiums and arenas. Although, the federal government has refused to fund for the arena, isn't the 20 million in new revenues from the new federal buildings constitute an indirect/de-facto contribution by the federal government should councillors agree to use the 20 million for the project instead of acting shelfishly for insignificant community projects. This is a great opportunity to restore unity within this council. Many of the councillors seems to agree on using the 20 million for the Bob and even before the refusal, Councillor Da Silva said he would use the $1 million that was destined for his ward (as the $20 million was initially planned to be divided per district) to be used on Guertin instead.

However they need to decide now, so before the Holidays. The arena was shut down several days last month because of more issues, another proof that a cheap renovation wouldn't solve the problems with the current building.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 8:15 PM
Awesome!

So the project gets the approval but only with a 4000-seat complex instead. All because of the feds. I understand why they don't want to contribute for arenas and stadiums but an arena for junior hockey is more useful than all the waste the feds have been spending since 2006 (jails, F-35 jets, etc.). It's unfortunate they've only used $5.5 out of the $20 million out of the revenue generated by the new/future federal buildings. Enough the political rant as it will last over 2 pages. Cost will be $50 million in total.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...gatineau.shtml
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
So the project gets the approval but only with a 4000-seat complex instead. All because of the feds. I understand why they don't want to contribute for arenas and stadiums but an arena for junior hockey is more useful than all the waste the feds have been spending since 2006 (jails, F-35 jets, etc.). It's unfortunate they've only used $5.5 out of the $20 million out of the revenue generated by the new/future federal buildings. Enough the political rant as it will last over 2 pages. Cost will be $50 million in total.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...gatineau.shtml
Any idea when construction will start?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Any idea when construction will start?
They are hoping to have this built for 2014, now I've heard someone thinking Cape Breton might run for the 2015 Memorial Cup thinking probably at earliest the tournament will be in 2018. But with the reduction in seats planned from 5000 to 4000 that will probably hurt.

Meanwhile, after the season, city will spent 800 000$ on emergency repairs so it the arena will hang on until the opening of the new arena. Sounds like one possible contender for building the arena might be Multivesco which was a contender in the initial PPP renovation project which was rejected by the provincial government for procedural reasons.

I hope groundbreaking will start next spring though but we will have to wait for the offers by the potential contenders, but maybe it can be sometime next year..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa