HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 7:41 AM

I saw this in the september issue of Air Canada's En Route magazine. I don't know if you can make it out but they show a giant S on the shangri la building on the east side top, is it photoshopped in or is it real? also notice the trump completely not there.

2018-09-10_12-14-10 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 12:25 PM
life in the present

Its photoshopped and it's an old pic, 745 Thurlow isn't there either. The 'S' has never has been there, only ever saw it on the renderings. I believe the reason had something to do with the visibility of the logo being bothersome for the owners of the Shangri-La penthouse.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:07 PM

The sign is not allowed due to an archaic piece of the CoV signage bylaw that does not allow signs above ~140m.

Hopefully this rule gets repealed in the signage bylaw revising the city is doing right now.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
The sign is not allowed due to an archaic piece of the CoV signage bylaw that does not allow signs above ~140m.

Hopefully this rule gets repealed in the signage bylaw revising the city is doing right now.
From what I've been hearing, the evolving signage bylaw won't let up on its anti-corporate logo bent. It might get even more restrictive. I hope I'm hearing wrongly.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
From what I've been hearing, the evolving signage bylaw won't let up on its anti-corporate logo bent. It might get even more restrictive. I hope I'm hearing wrongly.
This is what I'm hearing too. They already changed the signage process to get rid of board of variance for signage and now it falls under the planning department directly. Not a good move IMO as all it takes is one anti-corporate planning head and there goes everything, whereas when it went to the same board, you could argue and get people on side. The new bylaw will most likely be more archaic and pandering to NIMBYs than before unfortunately

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
This is what I'm hearing too. They already changed the signage process to get rid of board of variance for signage and now it falls under the planning department directly. Not a good move IMO as all it takes is one anti-corporate planning head and there goes everything, whereas when it went to the same board, you could argue and get people on side. The new bylaw will most likely be more archaic and pandering to NIMBYs than before unfortunately
I really, REALLY hope your wrong, but judging by recent history, I don't think you are.

Just more ideological BS from a few select morons that keep this city in the dark ages. **Sigh**

I hope someone in the next election can free us from this stupid, backwards, holier than thou, 1984, nimby attitude, that has plagued this city for years now.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 6:56 PM

Status of the development below Burrard Bridge south?

Have there been and status updates for the development below Burrard Bridge, on the south side? I remember a couple of years back the local first nations began work on a development plan for the area, and brought in a few heavy-hitters from the major local commercial developers to head the work.

There must be something to show by now? Are there any renderings, any early proposals for power, water and road integration? I'm assuming they don't need to get planning permission from the City of Vancouver.

As an aside, isn't something similar happening for the golf course land on the way up to UBC? Both of these projects could become major "mini-villages" within the CoV boundaries, but I'm not seeing much publicity or excitement about them.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Have there been and status updates for the development below Burrard Bridge, on the south side? ...... There must be something to show by now? Are there any renderings, any early proposals for power, water and road integration? I'm assuming they don't need to get planning permission from the City of Vancouver.

As an aside, isn't something similar happening for the golf course land on the way up to UBC? Both of these projects could become major "mini-villages" within the CoV boundaries, but I'm not seeing much publicity or excitement about them.
Nothing for Burrard - the consensus is that it's on hold for now.

As for UBC, the Musqueam're developing the property beside the golf course, not on it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Nothing for Burrard - the consensus is that it's on hold for now.

As for UBC, the Musqueam're developing the property beside the golf course, not on it.
Aah, thanks for the update/correction.
So glad to see the Musqueam project is actually in development! Doesn't it deserve a thread?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 10:01 PM

Looking at webcams it is currently snowing up on Whistler peak.

I was there two weeks ago and they had not yet installed any of the new lifts. The old Emerald Express chair had been removed and all equipment for the new six-person lift had been delivered, but they will be in hurry to install the new lift before snow falls.

I couldn't really see how the gondola on Blackcomb side is coming along, but I am still thorn by it. I wish they would have kept Solar Coaster as additional mid-mountain capacity as taking a gondola wont be nearly as convenient during the day a chair lift is.

Otherwise I am please with all the investment that Whistler is currently seeing and look forward to season start in two months.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:22 PM

Any reason why a builder would install PVC pipes in the side of a foundation wall for drainage? I forget the project but never really noticed this in other pits.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 5:56 PM

Question for those making home renovations... How can one find out what exact color a wall is being? Is there a trick or a small device to analyzing that?

I may have to patch some walls that are not pure white color but slightly grayish tone and I was wondering what is the trick to knowing exactly what kind of paint to buy?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Question for those making home renovations... How can one find out what exact color a wall is being? Is there a trick or a small device to analyzing that?

I may have to patch some walls that are not pure white color but slightly grayish tone and I was wondering what is the trick to knowing exactly what kind of paint to buy?
Look for a corner or out of place spot with the same existing paint colour you want and cut a small piece. I would the take that piece to a paint store like General Paint or Home depot whom can colour match. You will probably not get the exact match unless you get the exact formula and manufacturer as the original paint but this is probably your best bet to get a colour close to your existing paint on your wall. I hope this helps.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:10 AM

Anybody know what that super tall mast is for that’s sitting in the middle of Kingsway, around Gladstone Street. It’s like 100 feet tall.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:19 AM

its the new art work installed.

This ladder's not for climbing: 40 metre-high art installation soars above Vancouver street

The public art piece, called 108 Steps, towers above Kingsway near Nanaimo Street

Rafferty Baker · CBC News · Posted: Oct 24, 2018

A worker puts finishing touches on 108 Steps, a giant piece of public art in Vancouver. (Rafferty Baker/CBC)

"I don't know what it's for," said passerby Alain Bautista on Tuesday, gazing up at the nearly 40-metre tall art installation.

"I don't know, it's kind of weird."

Khan Lee's enormous piece of public art, called 108 Steps, is a giant sculpture of a ladder rising vertically into the air from its base on Kingsway near Nanaimo Street in Vancouver.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...vprgEki9f1rwOE

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:47 AM

Oh man. Ok thanks. It looks like some kind of utility thing.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:55 AM

the article goes on to say they hope they have done enough so people won't climb it but sounds like they aren't confident.

Hopefully, there is some light effect involved.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the article goes on to say they hope they have done enough so people won't climb it but sounds like they aren't confident.

Hopefully, there is some light effect involved.
Police watch? Shouldn't be hard to pull a squad car off radar gun duty.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Police watch? Shouldn't be hard to pull a squad car off radar gun duty.
Put a ton of grease over the first two rungs?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 9:53 PM

Yeah I think there will be a lot of people messing with that thing. Protesters and whatnot.

This is worse than poodle on a pole.

Last edited by logan5; Oct 28, 2018 at 10:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion