HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
The level of details in those nice renderings on the website are really going to expose any significant bait and switch. I do hope as much of that brick and wood makes it onto the final cladding orders and install, and I hope the window measurements, terraces and balconies live up to the renderings.
The Mackay condo they did is beautiful. Still till this day when i drive by it it looks amazing. i don't think their a bait/switch builder.

https://uniformdevelopments.com/portfolio/mackay-house/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:34 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Domicile will be incorporating the historic Holy Trinity Anglican Church bell as part of its "address wall", a thoughtful nod to the history of the site (until somebody starts clanging it in the middle of the night).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 1:56 PM

Price list and floor plans are available today (sent to people who pre-registered). Prices start at $846K for a 1 BR 955 sq ft on the ground level, up to $2.968M for a 2BR + den 2461 sq ft penthouse. Mostly 2 BR's of around 1500 sq ft in the price range of $1.2M to $1.6M.

Last edited by gosouth; Jun 15, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 6:27 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 10:34 PM

I don't hate it...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:22 PM

does anyone know if the little Orthodox church is being demolished or not? I'd be a little sad to see it go as we have very few "onion" domes in this city.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
does anyone know if the little Orthodox church is being demolished or not? I'd be a little sad to see it go as we have very few "onion" domes in this city.
I think you can see it peeking from beside the building on the first render.
It's actually Portuguese Catholic chapel. It was sold a few years ago though, not sure about its current status.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:55 PM

I think it looks spectacular, love the design. Not an architectural marvel but will be a great addition to an already great stretch of residential.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
I think you can see it peeking from beside the building on the first render.
It's actually Portuguese Catholic chapel. It was sold a few years ago though, not sure about its current status.
This little place was built in 1877 as the Anglican Church of the Holy Trinity. It was the first church in what is now Old Ottawa East.

It has changed hands (and religions) a few times since. In 1950 it became the first Ukrainian Orthodox parish in Ottawa.

A lot of firsts for this tiny building. I am surprised it never received heritage designation. There seems to be no interest in doing it now.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Jun 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 4:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

It's about to be demolished (if it hasn't been already) to make way for this condo project. You can see the first stages of that here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.41504...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 4:57 PM

This looks great. I love seeing all these quality low slung buildings going up along the canal, it's really becoming a beautiful neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:39 PM
Kickass User

Launch pricing for the entire building averages at $958.48/sqft. The majority of the units are over 1,300sqft. Excited to see the final product and finishes.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 11:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Echo's modern take brings boutique luxury condo living to the canal

Anita Murray, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: July 8, 2019

Life on the street; life on the canal — that’s exactly what a new condo building on Echo Drive is designed to emulate.

Appropriately called Echo, the six-storey building at the corner of Main Street was created by an impressive team that includes Uniform Urban Developments, Hobin Architecture, 2H Interior Design and Astro Design Centre — with a goal of offering a sophisticated boutique-like urban-lifestyle residence that pairs views overlooking the Rideau Canal with inviting outdoor spaces that connect with the street.

It’s a building that both makes a statement and is subtle in its presentation and it launched July 2.

“This is very much about the canal,” says Rheal Labelle, an intern architect for Hobin and the lead designer on the project. Making the most of an unusual triangular lot, the building is oriented so that more than two-thirds of the 32 units command canal views with oversized terraces and cantilevered balconies to take advantage of the location.

Boasting strong vertical stone tiers balanced by “large projecting terraces floating in between,” Labelle says, the building accidentally gives a nod to a famous Frank Lloyd Wright home designed in the 1930s: Fallingwater in Pennsylvania.

“It was a little bit ironic because it was never an intentional relationship to Fallingwater,” he notes. Yet along with its style, Fallingwater’s intimate connection with its environment — set amid the forest along the Bear Run tributary in the Appalachian Mountains — is repeated in Echo’s connection to the nature surrounding the canal.

The building itself is a “modern interpretation of those cantilevers, those really bold vertical punctuations,” says Ryan MacDougall, marketing and sales manager at Uniform.

But it also gives a nod to the site’s past, respecting its next-door neighbour (the Canal 111 condo), the decommissioned church currently on the property and its position as a gateway to Main Street.

It was Ryan’s father, John, who first saw the potential of the site and approached the owners about purchasing more than a decade ago. Not ready to sell at the time, when they were, they came back to Uniform.

Since buying the property about five years ago, Uniform has taken its time to determine just how to develop it.

“There’s every so often little nuggets of land come up along the canal but, truly, location is the differentiating factor here,” says Emily Meyers, who also a Uniform marketing and sales manager. “And because we think this is an A++ location in Ottawa, we basically made all the subsequent design and finish decisions that just honoured that and kept it high-end luxury.”

Aimed primarily at downsizers and professionals, the units are large enough to give the feeling of a home, with layouts that emphasize entertaining and empty nester living. While a majority of units are two bedrooms plus a den, for instance, the secondary bedrooms and dens are pulled to the interior of the unit so that master bedrooms and the main living space can take advantage of the canal views.

“Sometimes there’s the convention that all bedrooms have to be on the window side, but oftentimes it really compromises or squeezes your living space,” says Meyers.

There was also an emphasis on making sure “all the real estate is usable, so making sure hallways were not too long and making sure that you would live in all the spaces… really giving every space a function,” adds Danielle Hannah of 2H Interior Design, who absolutely loves the building.

“The architecture and the trees and the water; there’s something I find very seductive about the canal if you want to live urban.”

Ian Rowbotham finds it seductive as well. That’s why he’s become one of the first buyers at Echo, having planned the move for years.

“I think it’s one of the best locations going for downtown and (being close to) the Queensway.”

As a commercial landscaper (he runs Exel Contracting), Rowbotham has worked all over the city, including for Uniform, and has been aware of the project from the beginning. “I was interested from Day 1.”

Although he and his wife had already downsized to a bungalow in Stittsville, he knew it would be an interim move until Echo was ready.

“I’m looking forward to being downtown, closer to a lot of things and the outdoor activities like biking and all the pathways. And being on the canal and being close to Lansdowne Park I think will be great.”

Building amenities include a rooftop terrace and lounge, concierge service, pet washing station, bike storage and indoor, heated garage. The building is also smoke-free.

In the units, the emphasis is on high-end features and finishes, with quartz counters, floating vanities, curb-less showers and wide-plank hardwood among the standards. Kitchens are by Astro, which is introducing a line of more modern European shaker cabinets as one of the design options.

Astro is taking a contemporary approach to the kitchens, says designer Walter Bunda, yet creating spaces that people moving from a traditional home would still feel was in their style. “And even though we’ve designed the spaces, there’s still flexibility that when the client comes to us after purchasing the unit to change them.”

Bunda says key features include high-end Miele appliance packages with integrated fridges and dishwashers and islands that “don’t have any interruption in them. They’re smooth, large expanses that present a nice area you can entertain on or work on without a sink on there to interrupt that flow.”

There has also been a lot of attention paid to ceilings throughout the units, which are either nine or 10 feet. There are coffered, drop and floating ceilings, subtle reveals and soft details to accentuate or hide lighting.

The 2H and Hobin teams “spent a lot of time on creating a hierarchy of what the bulkhead details would be,” says Meyers. “If you don’t do that thoughtfully, it can really take away from what is otherwise pretty dramatic spaces.”

The attention to detail on the ceilings and for the interiors in general was “really about making sure that the beautiful finishes on the outside were also continued on the inside,” says Hannah. “(This project) is really going to add something fantastic to Echo Drive.”

Echo

What: A six-storey luxury condo building with 32 units on Echo Drive overlooking the Rideau Canal
Builder: Uniform Urban Developments
Prices: From $846,000 for a one-bedroom-plus-den with 955 square feet
Sales centre: 115 Echo Dr. (in the church building on the site)
Hours: Monday to Thursday, noon to 7 p.m.; weekends and holidays, noon to 5 p.m.
Information: 613-552-1004; echocanal.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes...g-to-the-canal

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 11:54 AM

Stopped by the sales center on the weekend. looks good - project will be beautiful

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:51 PM

Looks like this development is not selling. Received an email today from the developer:
"Uniform Urban Developments Introduces new suite layouts and new pricing at ECHO."

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosouth View Post
Looks like this development is not selling. Received an email today from the developer:
"Uniform Urban Developments Introduces new suite layouts and new pricing at ECHO."
That surprises me. If I were a boomer looking to downsize or a single professional I would definitely consider this project. Could there be a better location in the city???

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
That surprises me. If I were a boomer looking to downsize or a single professional I would definitely consider this project. Could there be a better location in the city???
If you want a view of the canal it will run you $1.039m. That is a 2brd plus den and just over 1200 sqft. It's half the price sans canal view. I can see why it's not selling. It's also no where near transit. If you work DT you could bike there fairly easily... but the bus? Not a chance.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:54 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
It's also no where near transit. If you work DT you could bike there fairly easily... but the bus? Not a chance.
I lived on Echo not far down from this one for a little while recently. It's not a bad walk to the stops in front SITE/Sports Complex (google maps says its a 9 min at stroll pace). Even on the -20 blustery days, Greenfield Ave pretty blocked from the gusts, and it wasn't unpleasant.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:21 PM
Kickass User

As mentioned, Uniform has re-designed the floorplans along with making a few other changes to help lower pricing and condo fees.

- 42 suites vs 32 original
- Average size is 1,223sqft vs 1,590sqft original
- Prices now start at $405,000 for 631sqft
- Building average unit price is now $995,476 vs $1,542,091 original
- Building average $sqft is now $783/sqft vs original $958/sqft
- Removed concierge which brought condo fee down to $0.54/sqft from $0.62/sqft
- Made changes to the standard of finishes to allow these lower prices. Higher-end finishes are still available.
- Removed one parking spot included with every unit. Now $45,000/spot
- Occupancy pushed back 4 months to March 2022
- Construction to start summer 2020

I was told by the sales staff that they had sold four units after the initial launch in July, and stopped selling units after two months in order to do this re-design. They have already reserved a number of units and have seen a much higher level of interest.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Last edited by MattRichling; Nov 22, 2019 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:28 PM
inner city

^^ sounds like smart moves!

If I were a retiree in the market for a lock-and-go Ottawa pad, this just seems like the best option around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa