HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:13 PM

4W (419 SW Washington) | xx' | 30 floors | Dead

Proposal for 419 SW Washington. Architects are SERA.

Quote:
Pre-Application Conference to discuss a Type III Design Review for a proposed 15-story, 246-room hotel. The project will incorporate an existing 2-story commercial building with a new 13-story vertical addition. Existing below grade parking will remain.
Last summer there was an Early Assistance application to discuss a Cambria Suites here. This may or may not be the same project.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

Last summer there was an Early Assistance application to discuss a Cambria Suites here. This may or may not be the same project.
This would be awesome. Is it the building on same block as where Heald College used to be? Right across Washington St. from the old Greek Cuisina? (that building is being redeveloped / made earthquake safe now).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 9:36 PM
A before E

Quote:

Oh wow, this is good news, I would like to see this building go, but I am interested in what they mean by incorporating it the existing building into a 15 story building. That could turn out to be really cool looking and a great addition to the city if it is done right.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Oh wow, this is good news, I would like to see this building go, but I am interested in what they mean by incorporating it the existing building into a 15 story building. That could turn out to be really cool looking and a great addition to the city if it is done right.
The building at 4th and Washington (forgot its name) was built as the base for a tower about 25 floors. It's almost 40 years old now, but I assume it can still be built out to handle a 15 floor hotel.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
The building at 4th and Washington (forgot its name) was built as the base for a tower about 25 floors. It's almost 40 years old now, but I assume it can still be built out to handle a 15 floor hotel.
That is cool, I wonder what that was originally going to look like. I am guessing the foundation of this building is designed to handle a tower on it, if that is the case, I am even more excited to see what could happen to this site and it makes sense to not tear down something that would work. Though I am curious is they would keep the original design of the base or strip the exterior to update it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:54 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
I was going to mention the exact same thing. That, and the barren plaza at the corner could easily be repurposed as a porte cochere for the hotel. I'm not necessarily a fan of adding automobile amenities downtown, but in this case, on those two particular streets, it makes sense. Also, softening up the brutalist ground floor of this existing podium is going to be a huge improvement to the streetscape there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That is cool, I wonder what that was originally going to look like. I am guessing the foundation of this building is designed to handle a tower on it, if that is the case, I am even more excited to see what could happen to this site and it makes sense to not tear down something that would work. Though I am curious is they would keep the original design of the base or strip the exterior to update it.
Hard to describe, but it carried the window theme seen on the base up the tower. I thought it was horribly ugly and it reminded me of a hamster Habitrail house (curved yellowish glass). I've always thought the base ugly, too, though.

Last edited by rsbear; Mar 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 10:20 PM
A before E

Quote:
Hard to describe, but it carried the window theme seen on the base up the tower. I thought it was horribly ugly and it reminded me of a hamster Habitrail house (curved yellowish glass). I've always thought the base ugly, too, though.
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit reading this description. We definitely dodged a bullet with that one not being built.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:04 PM

Quote:
I want to see those historic designs!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
I want to see those historic designs!
I spent about an hour searching for it online yesterday but came up with nothing. The building was completed in 1977 and the tower was part of the original design, but that was long, long, long before the digital age, so I'm not surprised the original plan isn't available online.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
I spent about an hour searching for it online yesterday but came up with nothing. The building was completed in 1977 and the tower was part of the original design, but that was long, long, long before the digital age, so I'm not surprised the original plan isn't available online.
Someone that has more convenient access than I should totally go through the physical archives, if there are any for this place. It's just an interesting bit of development context to compare the 1977 design to the new design.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Someone that has more convenient access than I should totally go through the physical archives, if there are any for this place. It's just an interesting bit of development context to compare the 1977 design to the new design.
If they actually obtained building permits for a tower, then records of those will exist on microfilm at the Bureau of Development Services. If they didn't, then who knows. Maybe the Oregonian reported on it.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Aug 7, 2016 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 7:08 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for the proposed hotel at the Washington Center.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for the proposed hotel at the Washington Center.
Love this hotel boom. 3rd/4th Aves need some new life, really anywhere near the waterfront. And this project, along with the Marriott on 3rd/Taylor, and the new boutique hotel being developed (above Huber's) on on Stark between 3rd & 4th will really help.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 9:54 PM

The early intake report shows a 30 story mixed use with underground parking for 419 SW Washington? It does say request cancelled, but still, I didn't see that in the works. I think they were discussing a hotel in that block, I think that is the block anyway, but it was supposed to be like 15 floors built on the existing podium?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 8:42 AM

4th and Washington Tower

Is this the tower listed with images on the TVA Architects website under projects at 4th and Washington? It says "in progress".

Last edited by DNFan; Dec 8, 2015 at 9:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:32 PM

4th and Washington

Good call with TVA! Here is an image from their website called 4th and Washington:

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:33 PM

Damn - didn't work.

Go to this URL to see the picture:

http://tvaarchitects.com/projects/4th-and-washington

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:58 PM

Wow!! Love it from certain angles, one side looks very like Park Ave West. But in general really nice!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:02 PM

It really looks like PAW especially in the picture where you can see PAW in the background. Without the context of having a similar looking building done by the same architect only a few blocks away, it's a nice looking building. Hopefully TVA can push themselves a little bit and differentiate it from PAW. If not, I don't think it will matter much in the long run if the Morrison bridgehead towers get built in front of it.

Last edited by cityscapes; Dec 8, 2015 at 7:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland