HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 5:37 PM
National Capital Region

951 Gladstone Ave | 100\112\118m | 30\33\35f | Proposed

http://www.trinity-group.com/propert...one-loretta-2/

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...Sales_2017.pdf

949-971 Gladstone & 145 Loretta Avenues was purchased by 971 Gladstone Avenue Inc. (Trinity Development Group) from 2561592 Ontario Inc. Gladstone Limited Partnership for $11,500,000 or $107 per square foot of site area. It is improved with three attached retail/industrial buildings totaling 63,076 square feet that are one, two and four storeys in height. The property is located along the Trillium Rail Corridor within 600 metres of an existing transit station and to the immediate west of a future transit station

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 6:40 PM

I'm glad they'll bring height, but damn! The tallest one is atrocious.

Edit : Actually, the windows remind me of towers I used to build in Minecraft.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 6:41 PM

That's cool and all, and I'm sure some people will get upset about the height, etc... but the first thing that struck me was the utility of that pedestrian bridge. It doesn't really seem to do much, just passing over a pathway. I would be more impressed if they pushed for a secondary entrance to Gladstone station (plus bridge over the tracks) to the north, adjacent to their second tower.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 7:06 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
That's cool and all, and I'm sure some people will get upset about the height, etc... but the first thing that struck me was the utility of that pedestrian bridge. It doesn't really seem to do much, just passing over a pathway. I would be more impressed if they pushed for a secondary entrance to Gladstone station (plus bridge over the tracks) to the north, adjacent to their second tower.
The draft Gladstone CDP (on hold) proposed a plaza along Gladstone

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1635

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 8:44 PM

Wow! I'm surprised by this proposal (especially by its height).

I like what's happening at the lower section - bring the building out to the street with a mid-rise podium and putting retail and some landscaping along Gladstone, with the MUP on the west side of the O-Train tracks. It's a significant improvement to the area now, which is all asphalt hardscaping. I like the restoration of the Bread Factory. I don't know about the need to connect it to the station (and I would prefer the station plaza that the City recommended).

I wish they showed other angles. I'm not completely into the surface parking they placed on Loretta, and I feel like the underground parking right at a transit station is too much (and may affect Gladstone more). I wish they would preserve this building, too.

All in all, I kind of like this. It's a good example of mixed-use, transit-oriented development.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The draft Gladstone CDP (on hold) proposed a plaza along Gladstone
Right, but people could just walk along a wide sidewalk on Gladstone from this development to the plaza. The only thing the proposed footbridge does is provide a weather-proof connection to the station. Not a lot of reason to build a footbridge in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 6:01 AM

This development and their aggressiveness as of late make me think Trillium will be one of the bidders on the Booth Street Complex.

By the way, looks like they envision the Trinity line being double tracked.

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Oct 8, 2018 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
By the way, looks like they envision the Trinity line being double tracked.
Heh.... Trinity Line

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:04 PM

After Stage 2 Trillium, the line will be doubled track from Bayview to just north of Aberdeen Street. See the rail implementation office layer of GeoOttawa.

http://maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa/

All in all, I'm liking this a lot. Love that they are preserving the bread factory (?), the podium and tower step back. They seem to have taken the importance of street-level activity into consideration. I'm just worried the Trillium will not have enough capacity to handle thousands of new condo/apartment units all along the line, a major hospital, suburban traffic...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:01 PM

Is this extending all the way to Laurel St? The aerial photograph says it does, but the site plan doesn't seem to extend that far (though it isn't clear).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm just worried the Trillium will not have enough capacity to handle thousands of new condo/apartment units all along the line, a major hospital, suburban traffic...
The vast majority of the Trillium line traffic is Carleton students. As a result, hundreds of passengers are alighting (AM peak) at Carleton from each train, leaving lots of room for more people to board. The new condos/apartments are north of the university, so I just don't see it being an issue as they can fill the seats vacated by university students. For the suburban traffic, the trains are doubling in size, so they have reserve capacity for many years. As for the hospital, the by enlarge the load is distributed over a longer time period. Only the staff will come in waves, and I don't see that as contributing more than a couple hundred pphpd.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
I like what's happening at the lower section - bring the building out to the street with a mid-rise podium and putting retail and some landscaping along Gladstone, with the MUP on the west side of the O-Train tracks. It's a significant improvement to the area now, which is all asphalt hardscaping. I like the restoration of the Bread Factory. I don't know about the need to connect it to the station (and I would prefer the station plaza that the City recommended).

I wish they showed other angles. I'm not completely into the surface parking they placed on Loretta, and I feel like the underground parking right at a transit station is too much (and may affect Gladstone more). I wish they would preserve this building, too.

All in all, I kind of like this. It's a good example of mixed-use, transit-oriented development.
I agree the bridge linking the proposal to the station is not necessary. It literally doesn't save anyone time to get to the station compared to the sidewalk (as opposed to the bridge they propose to connect the Bayview proposal to the station). And since the station will be open to the elements, the extra 15 seconds indoors won't do much to help.

In terms of parking, you're right the surface lot on Loretta goes completely against the principal of good urban planning, but we can't forgo the underground parking. Many urban residents continue to own cars to visit family in the burbs, or shop for IKEA furniture, or go out to the country on weekends... A few office workers and retail clients will continue to drive in for various reasons (poor transit service in their area, time crunch and other).

That said, parking should still be limited, say one for every two occupants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
The vast majority of the Trillium line traffic is Carleton students. As a result, hundreds of passengers are alighting (AM peak) at Carleton from each train, leaving lots of room for more people to board. The new condos/apartments are north of the university, so I just don't see it being an issue as they can fill the seats vacated by university students. For the suburban traffic, the trains are doubling in size, so they have reserve capacity for many years. As for the hospital, the by enlarge the load is distributed over a longer time period. Only the staff will come in waves, and I don't see that as contributing more than a couple hundred pphpd.
With the new trains, we're doubling the capacity. With the projected 12 minute frequency we're looking at about 2,500 phpd. Hoping that will be enough.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:57 PM

is the residential going to be condo or rental? I know Trinity has focused more on purpose-built rental and commercial spaces.

I'd imagine the economics of this are similar to the bayview station towers, though obviously much shorter. They went rental there with a REIT.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:02 PM

Wow, this is a really big project proposal...it doesn't look too half-azzed bad either...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:25 PM

I like the renderings, but the red panels/trimming on the tallest should go as they just look tacky. But the podium looks solid and the other two towers look modern without the cookie cutter look that plagues Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:13 PM
ハルウララ

I'm really beginning to love the density we're seeing along Line 2 and Preston. There's going to be a lot more people in this stretch in 5-10 years and it's going to fundamentally change Centretown West, Little Italy, and Chinatown. Great to see.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
I like the renderings, but the red panels/trimming on the tallest should go as they just look tacky. But the podium looks solid and the other two towers look modern without the cookie cutter look that plagues Toronto.
Agree. There is no need for those random panels. It was kind of cool with Mondrian 10 years ago but it's time to move away from this kitsch.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:23 PM

Not bad at all... I like the podium, mix of design elements on the lower floors, right next to LRT station.

I agree the red panels are bit tacky... Perhaps switch them out for red brick to tie the design more to the podium?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 11:48 AM

I like the fact Trinity is adding both height and density to Ottawa. Overall I'm very impressed with the plan for this project. Obviously these are only renderings, but they pushing the boundaries of development in this city. Hopefully this will lead to even more exciting projects in the future!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:52 PM

Everything looks great and I'm a big fan of a skywalk (because Gladstone bridge sucks), but I need to know that Vimy Brewery is going to be ok.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa