HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown BIA View Post
I am one of the organizers for the Illuminate event and for the first year (and a very tight budget) I consider this event was very well advertised with the small budget available for marketing. It was a number of city buses, downtown elevators, cable channels, Vancouver Sun, The Province, Vancouver Magazine, Facebook and it was listed on around 100 different event websites. The attendance was far greater than we expected, so in our opinion we did a good job of getting the name out there and the crowds proved it.
If it was so well-advertised, why is it that nearly nobody here knew about it - to the extent that somebody here had to create a whole thread about it ask the many forumers on here "Hey! Did you even know about this cool event?"

???

This forum's readers span pretty much every geographic, demographic, sociographic and psychographic description. Looks like about at most half a dozen forumers knew about the event.

I'd be interested in any opinions.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 2:47 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I knew about it, I actually even posted about it before the event in one of the threads.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 2:49 AM

It was discussed at the beginning of February in the (where else) Vancouver Lighting thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=163541&page=6

I even posted a video from Nuit Blanche to get people pumped for it! Sounds like it was a great event, and next year should be incredible!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 9:29 AM

for something that wasn't known about it was freaking packed - hard to get around and actually do some of the stuff that was interactive

i doubt people just stumbled across it, its not that central

I found out about in on facebook - loads of events are posted on there its pretty amazing the amount of stuff any given day that goes on in the city

festival du bois is on on coquitlam now... big tents set up in mackin park and they usualy have a tent in blue mountain park

got o facebook and search for "festival du bois" it will fill you in - its a festival celebrating maillairdville's french heritage and quebecois culture in bc

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:03 PM

Looks like it was a great event. Congrats, Yaletown BIA.

I'm just pissed because I had seen some type of advertising for it the morning of the event but completely forgot about it during the day. Went to the homeshow with some friends and almost walked into Yaletown to grab dinner but went downtown instead.

Saw the pics here and realized what we had missed. Arggghh

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 1:01 PM

good job given this was your first event.
i'm sure you guys will hold a swot on what worked and what didn't but next time cars should be barred completely from beginning to end. it's yaletown.. people don't need to drive there.

also, seeing as this is a late night/adult event, it would be great to have beer gardens and dj's playing in the streets.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 8:56 PM
Mac User

I would have gone to this had I known about it. That looks awesome. Next year they should have it going on during the Olympics. I like Delirium's idea for beer gardens and dj's.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 11:02 PM
Dérive-r

^Checkout this post from the previous page, it'll make your day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Novus TV had a segment yesterday on Illuminate Yaletown and GOOD NEWS... it's coming back next year during the Olympics BUT it will be an international competition and the cash prizes will be "very sizable" according to the woman from the organization. along with the olympic lighting displays that will hang above mainland and hamilton streets, yaletown will be quite the bright place next February!
I'd heard about it well before it occurred. Can't quite recall how. Numerous family members seemed to know about it (even my mother). I'm sure somebody here mentioned it, and I probably read about it in 24 Hours or something like that as well. None of my friends knew about it though. I'm sure it could have been better advertised but as it was it certainly attracted enough people.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 11:25 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
I would have gone to this had I known about it. That looks awesome. Next year they should have it going on during the Olympics. I like Delirium's idea for beer gardens and dj's.
i agree. i also think it should be made into a long weekend long event (if that makes sense)

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
good job given this was your first event.
i'm sure you guys will hold a swot on what worked and what didn't but next time cars should be barred completely from beginning to end. it's yaletown.. people don't need to drive there.

also, seeing as this is a late night/adult event, it would be great to have beer gardens and dj's playing in the streets.
As we were not expecting that many people to attend the event a decision was made to leave the streets open this year and we had three traffic police to keep the speed of vehicles down. Next year Hamilton and Mainland will both be pedestrian only for the Olympics, so the streets will be shut for the event. Hopefully people will use the new Canada Line station to attend this event in future years.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
We did have plans for a number of music stations throughout the event but the City of Vancouver would only allow us a permit for one at Section 3 restaurant and this had to be unplugged at 9.30pm. Next year we are going to look at siting at beer garden somewhere in the show site.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 5:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

I was there from the beginning, and stayed for a few hours. It got busy really quickly.

You may now all envy me now.

Actually, I found about it from SSP.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:04 PM

yes it was discussed about as early as february 3rd in the lighting thread

maybe we should have made a more identifiable thread - but you really have to visit every thread or you miss a lot

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown BIA View Post
We did have plans for a number of music stations throughout the event but the City of Vancouver would only allow us a permit for one at Section 3 restaurant and this had to be unplugged at 9.30pm. Next year we are going to look at siting at beer garden somewhere in the show site.
this is problem with Vancouver. 9:30? no wonder we're laughed at. does the city really think that people living in the heart of Yaletown would really care if one event a year has noise past GASP 11 or 12pm? the horror!
good luck in getting beer gardens next year. hope it works out.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:28 PM
loafing in lotusland

The only problem is that if it's raining, Yaletown sucks to be in. Most of the venues were outdoor and the crowds would've totally depended on weather.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 7:50 PM
loafing in lotusland

Finally uploaded my pics:

Warning... some of them suck.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment