HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Very interesting. That's all abandoned warehouses currently.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BRAVO* View Post
Very interesting. That's all abandoned warehouses currently.
UAB is using several of the warehouses in there, but I don't think they have any operations that could not be relocated fairly easily. My question is what will happen with B&A? It's within one of the blocks that Bell outline for the ball park, but it could be a unique chance for a public/private initiative to have some indoor event and catering capacity within the ballpark.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 6:37 PM

I honestly think that the BASS headquarters will be somewhere in the city center. Playing off of his words when the story first broke...

Birmingham lands BASS corporate headquarters

"Birmingham Mayor William Bell said Thursday BASS is a big catch for the city.
"We're thrilled that BASS will be moving its headquarters to Birmingham," Bell said. "BASS will be a great addition to our skyline."
Bell would not say where BASS is considering putting its offices. Standing in the Forum at the BJCC, formerly known as the Medical Forum, Bell would only say, "We expect it will be some place very close by.

July 22, 2011
Michael Tomberlin

"http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2011/07/birmingham_land_bass_corporate.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBham87 View Post
I honestly think that the BASS headquarters will be somewhere in the city center. Playing off of his words when the story first broke...

Birmingham lands BASS corporate headquarters

"Birmingham Mayor William Bell said Thursday BASS is a big catch for the city.
"We're thrilled that BASS will be moving its headquarters to Birmingham," Bell said. "BASS will be a great addition to our skyline."
Bell would not say where BASS is considering putting its offices. Standing in the Forum at the BJCC, formerly known as the Medical Forum, Bell would only say, "We expect it will be some place very close by.

July 22, 2011
Michael Tomberlin

"http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2011/07/birmingham_land_bass_corporate.html
They will initially lease space somewhere in the city center, I believe to qualify to their incentives they have to be in Birmingham by November 1. But when it comes time to construct their permanent office...I wouldn't be surprised to see it show-up near Grand River, Bass Pro, Barber Motorsports...and remember, Barber is technically part of the City of Birmingham and as long as BASS stays within the corporate limits their incentive package should stay in place.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:01 AM

@Dyingyak I understand what you are saying. As long as Birmingham is reaping the benefits then i'm for it. Mr. Logan was saying in the paper the other day that he was being approached by people wanting to have BASS's headquarters anchor its own separate entertainment district/venue. That's what had me ruling out the Grand River site but I might be playing too much on words...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 5:53 PM

The new article shows a map of the area considered for the ballpark. This is exciting news! It will be interesting to see the development all around that area in the next couple of years.

-------------------------
Birmingham officials say they've assembled 80 percent of land for Barons' ballpark
Published: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 5:30 AM
by Joseph D. Bryant - The Birmingham News

Birmingham city officials say they have assembled 80 percent of the land needed for a downtown baseball stadium and redevelopment district through land swaps with UAB and contracts on three privately owned sites. [...]

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 1:44 PM

Birmingham's Trinity Steel site may get $19 million shopping, parking venture
Published: Friday, August 05, 2011, 6:10 AM
by Michael Tomberlin - The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- A development team wants to invest as much as $19 million to build a parking lot and shopping center on the 27-acre former Trinity Steel site near Titusville.

Yvonne Green Davis, chief executive of Immanuel Group Inc., asked the Jefferson County Economic and Industrial Development Authority on Thursday for a one-year option to buy the site for $1 million while she and the team study the plan.

The plan would move forward in two phases, starting with a $5 million to $7 million landscaped parking center for up to 2,500 cars. Davis said an operator is prepared to commit to a 20-year lease to build a gated parking lot for public and private use that could be used for events at Railroad Park, the planned baseball park for the Birmingham Barons or a proposed football stadium for UAB.[...]

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 11:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahs View Post
Birmingham's Trinity Steel site may get $19 million shopping, parking venture
Published: Friday, August 05, 2011, 6:10 AM
by Michael Tomberlin - The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- A development team wants to invest as much as $19 million to build a parking lot and shopping center on the 27-acre former Trinity Steel site near Titusville.

Yvonne Green Davis, chief executive of Immanuel Group Inc., asked the Jefferson County Economic and Industrial Development Authority on Thursday for a one-year option to buy the site for $1 million while she and the team study the plan.

The plan would move forward in two phases, starting with a $5 million to $7 million landscaped parking center for up to 2,500 cars. Davis said an operator is prepared to commit to a 20-year lease to build a gated parking lot for public and private use that could be used for events at Railroad Park, the planned baseball park for the Birmingham Barons or a proposed football stadium for UAB.[...]
I dunno how I feel about this...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
I dunno how I feel about this...
I have mixed feelings too...but parking is going to be a big issue with the new stadium and this seems like a decent place to add parking if a good connection could be made between there and Railroad Park. There isn't much that could be done there because of the remote nature of the site and the heavily used existing rail line.

It would be great though if they did a parking facility and had an "on-rail" trolley that connected back to Railroad Park for events.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Hotel planned for Five Points South

News story link

7 story, $15 Million Homewood Suites (owned by Hilton) expected to be constructed along 20th St in Five Points. The former Five Points Music Hall would be demolished to make way, but its facade would be reconstructed as part of the hotel.

A timetable was not given in the new story.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 12:42 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I think that is good news. I wish they would be able to reuse the existing facade. But... it's good to see the investment and additional foot traffic.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 8:13 PM

Glad to see some developments going on in Southside.
--------------------
Southern Research wins preliminary approval for construction plans
Published: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
by Stan Dial - The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Southern Research Institute is making progress with plans to build a large new laboratory building next to Quinlan Castle in Southside.
A developer this week won city approval to demolish a Quonset hut and an engineering building to make way for the new building, which Southern Research executives previously said would carry about a $14 million price tag and be about 40,000 square feet.
Southern Research spokeswoman Rhonda Jung said the institute is working to determine more exact costs before presenting a plan to its board of directors for approval.
"It's very preliminary," she said. [...]

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 5:47 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Glad to see some developments going on in Southside.
--------------------
Southern Research wins preliminary approval for construction plans
Published: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
by Stan Dial - The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Southern Research Institute is making progress with plans to build a large new laboratory building next to Quinlan Castle in Southside.
A developer this week won city approval to demolish a Quonset hut and an engineering building to make way for the new building, which Southern Research executives previously said would carry about a $14 million price tag and be about 40,000 square feet.
Southern Research spokeswoman Rhonda Jung said the institute is working to determine more exact costs before presenting a plan to its board of directors for approval.
"It's very preliminary," she said. [...]
I read that on my phone and the first thing I saw was the picture of Quinlan. It got all excited, then I read the article... I was still excited, but I would have been even more so if the plans had been to utilize Quinlan instead of a new building. Maybe in the future?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
I read that on my phone and the first thing I saw was the picture of Quinlan. It got all excited, then I read the article... I was still excited, but I would have been even more so if the plans had been to utilize Quinlan instead of a new building. Maybe in the future?
Agreed. Hopefully, if they don't utilize the building they will sell it to someone who will.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:45 PM

Birmingham's proposed ballpark draws inspiration from Fort Wayne, Indiana
Published: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 7:30 AM
by Joseph D. Bryant - The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Planners of a new baseball park in Birmingham hope to model the look and copy the success of a park in Fort Wayne, Ind., which is touted as a catalyst for development in that city's downtown.

Birmingham Mayor William Bell today will meet with the City Council to discuss contracts, leases and bond documents to implement the nearly $60 million project.

The stadium along First Avenue South and between 14th and 16th streets is designed to bring the Birmingham Barons back to the city and anchor a new entertainment district. [...]

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 11:23 PM

See the Metroplaza masterplan for the old Carraway hospital site
Published: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 5:52 PM
by Kent Faulk -- The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- The Lovelady Center, a faith-based education and recovery center for women, has already reached nearly a third of its goal to raise $15 million to pay for and begin redevelopment of the former Carraway Methodist Medical Center campus for its new facility and a mix-use development, officials with the center said today.

The Lovelady Center also showed plans for MetroPlaza development this morning to community leaders and residents.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 12:49 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
See the Metroplaza masterplan for the old Carraway hospital site
Published: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 5:52 PM
by Kent Faulk -- The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- The Lovelady Center, a faith-based education and recovery center for women, has already reached nearly a third of its goal to raise $15 million to pay for and begin redevelopment of the former Carraway Methodist Medical Center campus for its new facility and a mix-use development, officials with the center said today.

The Lovelady Center also showed plans for MetroPlaza development this morning to community leaders and residents.
At first I was kinda skeptical about what this might be, but it's starting to sound better. They seem to have a lot of energy and momentum, hopefully enough to keep them from getting lazy as far as redevelopment and improvement goes.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:07 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I've actually been to Parkview Field in Fort Wayne and it is a gem. I hope Birmingham is able to pull together all the feature that make the venue such a success.

Last edited by *BRAVO*; Aug 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BRAVO* View Post
I've actually been to Parkview Field in Fort Wayne and it is a gem. I hope Birmingham is able to pull together all the feature that make the venue such a success.
Me too. If this goes through, downtown and the Southside are gonna be two happening places in about 5 years, maybe less. I just hope that the city will be able to acquire those two properties without using eminent domain. Those property owners could prove helpful in the future if the city treats them right, now.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:09 PM
The Salty Ham

That B&A owner is the last one holding things up. I do not understand what his deal is. He says he won't sell but then says the city won't come down to talk to him about it. WTH? Is he just out for publicity or is he waiting for some ridiculous offer from the city so he can retire? No one has to "come to him" with anything if he's being stubborn and says he won't sell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast