HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:51 PM

I told you so

Did the citizen actully go to the vantage point that would be affected by this sky-raping, heritage-raping monstrosity? I've been to Beechwood before, and it's hectare after hectare of rolling, heavily forested cemetary. I can't imagine many places would be able to see this building.

That said, if the view plane isn't affected, then this is just a "We don't want a building there" issue.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 7:13 PM

Man, the comments on that story are grounds for committment to a mental facility. "Towering rowhouses" ruing a neighbourhood? "Ottawa used to be green, before developers came"? And the favourite: "Its all about money, no one cares about humans"

What planet are these nutjobs on? It's a fucking abandoned gas station. And it's a cemetery!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Man, the comments on that story are grounds for committment to a mental facility. "Towering rowhouses" ruing a neighbourhood? "Ottawa used to be green, before developers came"? And the favourite: "Its all about money, no one cares about humans"

What planet are these nutjobs on? It's a fucking abandoned gas station. And it's a cemetery!
I just love those that say Ottawa use to be green look around the city were not lacking green areas as for the towering comment people l am sure if some had there was the height limit would be 2 levels with rules it can't block and views of a park or river.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 2:59 AM

would like to see this vantage point with a properly placed render of the building in the background to see how bad, if at all, this condo would actually affect the view.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 3:26 AM
Awesome!

I think the building will be just to the right of the sightline - there is a Google pic showing a view of Parliament and it appears that that area will probably not be affected by the building.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 2:20 PM
National Capital Region

viewshed seems to go right through the site (Beechwood, Jolliet, Marquette)
http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/ottaw...nnex_12_en.pdf

this is from Tommy Douglas' tomb by "lilyfathersjoy"

source: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23876972

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilyfathersjoy/1814328175/

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Mar 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM. Reason: added source credits

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 3:07 PM

It's amusing that the community association from one side of the street is having convulsions, while on the other side the Vanier Community Associaiton has no problem with it.

That said, the article states the portion of the building affecting the viewplane (man, we sound like Halifax here) will only be four stories and thus will not interfere. If that is indeed true, then what's the problem? Also, given the size of the cemetery, why are all the important dead people in that one little area?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 3:47 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
It's amusing that the community association from one side of the street is having convulsions, while on the other side the Vanier Community Associaiton has no problem with it.

That said, the article states the portion of the building affecting the viewplane (man, we sound like Halifax here) will only be four stories and thus will not interfere. If that is indeed true, then what's the problem? Also, given the size of the cemetery, why are all the important dead people in that one little area?
this property was looked at specifically when they did the view protection official plan and zoning amendments and given increased height. however of course Domicile has the right to ask for more and it will be interesting to read the staff report. The views from this project should be very nice.

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...S-PLA-0237.htm
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...S-PLA-0216.htm

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
viewshed seems to go right through the site (Beechwood, Jolliet, Marquette)
http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/ottaw...nnex_12_en.pdf

this is from Tommy Douglas' tomb

source: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23876972

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilyfathersjoy/1814328175/
Absolutely beautiful photos, waterloowarrior! Now, if someone could accurately superimpose the proposed Domicile building, it could save a lot of energy.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:08 PM
National Capital Region

this is my best guess based on the data in the site plan for the initial proposal and the point data for the protected viewshed... however it's missing the vegetation, existing nearby buildings etc that would hide a lot of the bottom of the building

non-scientific - please don't use this for your OMB appeal

actual

click to enlarge

zoomed in

click to enlarge

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
this is my best guess based on the data in the site plan for the initial proposal and the point data for the protected viewshed... however it's missing the vegetation, existing nearby buildings etc that would hide a lot of the bottom of the building

non-scientific - please don't use this for your OMB appeal
Have you thought about being a for hire planning pimp?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 8:50 PM

Thanks, waterloo warrior. If you're on the mark, they are cutting it pretty close, I'd say. Drop that puppy to three stories and eight stories and I can't see how anyone could complain. I wonder if that's not Domicile's expected outcome in any event?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Drop that puppy to three stories and eight stories and I can't see how anyone could complain.
We're in Ottawa, remember? I'm surprised no one is trying to obtain a heritage status for that paved-over gas station site to prevent so much as a park bench from ruining the view.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:21 AM

Quote:

Is it abandoned yet?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Is it abandoned yet?
Gas station is currently fully operational, providing goods and services.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 11:04 PM

I thought it was the lot on the adjacent corner, which is paved over and looks like it was once a gas station. You mean there are going to be two ugly plots of ghetto empty space in this area? God, I'm appealing the mere IDEA of developing there to the OMB!

I drove past there on the weekend and checked out the site, then checked out the neighbouring hoods of Vanier and Manor Park. Talk about an explosion of young families! Ottawans are procreating after all, but it's in these out-of-sight older east-end neighbourhoods. Literally, every second or third property had kids under age four playing, with parents teaching them to learn to ride their bikes. It was like stepping into the 1960s!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I thought it was the lot on the adjacent corner, which is paved over and looks like it was once a gas station. You mean there are going to be two ugly plots of ghetto empty space in this area? God, I'm appealing the mere IDEA of developing there to the OMB!

I drove past there on the weekend and checked out the site, then checked out the neighbouring hoods of Vanier and Manor Park. Talk about an explosion of young families! Ottawans are procreating after all, but it's in these out-of-sight older east-end neighbourhoods. Literally, every second or third property had kids under age four playing, with parents teaching them to learn to ride their bikes. It was like stepping into the 1960s!
Manor Park is probably one of Ottawa's best family neighbourhoods (for those that can afford it).

I am not sure what to make of the comments about what is currently on the site of the Domicile proposal. The issue isn't whether to develop the site, it's whether the proposed structure puts the Beechwood sightline at risk.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Mar 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:27 AM

Quote:
DON'T! GIVE! PEOPLE! IDEAS!!!!

Quote:
Vanier's also kidful, and there's a big upswing in young professionals, who could probably afford a "nice" neighbourhood, buying in so that they aren't working for their house. It ain't your mamma's Vanier any more.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 6:19 AM

As long as I can get greasy pizza, a decent poutine and Molson Dry, it's still the same Vanier. I'm serous.I like those three things very much.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:44 PM

Manor park is a really awesome neighbourhood.

It sort of has two sides. One end being more expensive older homes on biggish lots - almost all old war time A-frames that have been customized.

The other end (where all the re-development is taking place - replacing the old townhouses with new ones - http://www.uppereastside.ca/)

The neighbourhood has also be grabbing up a number of businesses displaced due to the fire on Beechwood. Epicuria (http://www.epicuria.ca/) is the latest on the that list.

With everything happening in Vanier as well, I am getting the feeling that near east-ends time has really arrived.

===========================

On the sightlines - It seems to me that view of the peace tower is clear in the plan. I think the disputes boil down to how much of the view plan needs or should be protected. I get the feeling some people are trying to protect the whole bloody horizon.

============================

I also really like what they are naming this building: The Kavanaugh. It is a nice little salute to history.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa