HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:26 PM

I was hoping that since Salt Lake City is now attracting some major national/international players that there could be a draw from outside Utah of the skilled labor for the major projects such as Patrinely, Held, etc., but Downtown, Central and West Los Angeles has an amazing number of mega projects under construction and in the pipeline waiting to commence. Many are 50 to 95 stories tall and some cover major acreage not unlike CCC. I don't see any labor from So. Calif. making its way to the Wasatch any time soon. I guess the good news is that when things are going this gangbuster in L.A., Salt Lake City is often a healthy market for development proposals also.

There's a lot of positive I could say about the skilled Latino labor in the construction field. That also holds true for young Latinos. They totally understand the importance of being a skilled tradesman and being able to advance into having your own crew and building your own business reputation. I had some property issues yesterday to deal with, and had to rely on that skilled labor. In the process I became acquainted with the business owner and he and his families 30 year expericence in the U.S. Not to wade through the morass of politics, but along with doctors, tech wonks and the like, I hope that the Wasatch Front will make plenty of room for the extremely valuable skilled latino workforce.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Can you imagine what the stairwell on the COB would look like with something like this mounted on it?

Video Link
I wish they would mount some sort of attractive covering on that stairwell. As long as it meshed well with the overall design that would be great. I honestly don't have a problem with the overall skin design on the rest of the tower, unlike some. I only cringe over that stairwell.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:00 PM

Hey Delts, I’ve heard that in general housing prices have for the most part peaked along the west coast. Do you find that to be the case? It sounds like large scale projects still have plenty of demand from what you are saying. I would definitely like to see the economy to come back down to a more balanced footing, no recession though. If some markets across the country cooled off a little bit it might help us out. But the way I see it is out of state investment would probably dry up here in a small market if investors became concerned about the larger markets cooling down. They would probably just “wait and see” what the overall health of the US economy would do before switching gears and investing in our smaller market. It feels like a no win situation with out of state investment in that scenario but maybe the labor aspect could benefit or local developers in the situation if they could stomach the unknown risk and move forward.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:56 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I was hoping that since Salt Lake City is now attracting some major national/international players that there could be a draw from outside Utah of the skilled labor for the major projects such as Patrinely, Held, etc., but Downtown, Central and West Los Angeles has an amazing number of mega projects under construction and in the pipeline waiting to commence. Many are 50 to 95 stories tall and some cover major acreage not unlike CCC. I don't see any labor from So. Calif. making its way to the Wasatch any time soon. I guess the good news is that when things are going this gangbuster in L.A., Salt Lake City is often a healthy market for development proposals also.

There's a lot of positive I could say about the skilled Latino labor in the construction field. That also holds true for young Latinos. They totally understand the importance of being a skilled tradesman and being able to advance into having your own crew and building your own business reputation. I had some property issues yesterday to deal with, and had to rely on that skilled labor. In the process I became acquainted with the business owner and he and his families 30 year expericence in the U.S. Not to wade through the morass of politics, but along with doctors, tech wonks and the like, I hope that the Wasatch Front will make plenty of room for the extremely valuable skilled latino workforce.
I agree with this. There seems to be a breaking point for most firms. They either lay low and do smaller jobs the big guys don't want to do or are big boys who only do huge projects. Material prices have stabilized somewhat but SLC is so isolated geographically that for a firm to move from, say, Boise to SLC is no small feat. These absurd and artificially low rates have created a once in a lifetime financing environment that won't stop large market construction barring a big faceplant from the economy. So, no relief.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Hey Delts, I’ve heard that in general housing prices have for the most part peaked along the west coast. Do you find that to be the case? It sounds like large scale projects still have plenty of demand from what you are saying. I would definitely like to see the economy to come back down to a more balanced footing, no recession though. If some markets across the country cooled off a little bit it might help us out. But the way I see it is out of state investment would probably dry up here in a small market if investors became concerned about the larger markets cooling down. They would probably just “wait and see” what the overall health of the US economy would do before switching gears and investing in our smaller market. It feels like a no-win situation with out-of-state investment in that scenario but maybe the labor aspect could benefit or local developers in the situation if they could stomach the unknown risk and move forward.
Anyone's guess is as good as the other. We seem to be building to the possibility of the best of times or the worst of times. Experts give their many opinions then ultimately throw their hands in the air and exclaim it's anyone's guess. Single-family residential seems to be taking a breather on the West Coast, but major multi-family and commercial seems to be shifting into an even higher gear.

Love him or hate him Trump is a savvy poker player. Just the Chinese attitude and response alone could set the world market on two completely different courses. Who will call who's bluff, and will the many historic deals with other economic powers blunt China's capacity to play with impunity. The fresh deal with Japan and the new deal with Mexico and Canada, the upcoming deals with Great Britain, Italy and the rest of Europe as a result of Brexit or even multiple Brexits. Will China feel compelled to acquiesce or will it thumb it's nose at the rest of the world? After all, it's a dictatorship, and in many ways, it has some of the same compunctions as its neighboring N. Korea. The ruling elite could just let the Chinese masses suffer while they play this game of chicken with the U.S. and its allies.

If we do encounter another recession of sorts in 2020/2021 as many fear we might, will The Wasatch once again prove to be more resilient than the majority of the nation?

Right now the secret about certain aspects of Utah's unique nature is out. Utah is on the go-to tech world map, the medical fields map, the manufacturing, warehousing and distribution map, etc. The Wasatch is one of the most diverse go-to economies in the nation.

One thing is for certain, whether its single-family residential or multi-family, people will need a place to live. This past great recession has brought on some definite adjustments in the construction industry. People like Ivory, Woodbury or Boyer have become adept multi-taskers. If the housing bubble should shift, then Ivory will have no problem moving over to apartment complexes or whatever is needed to keep itself active. I think whether its the Los Angeles market or the Wasatch Front market housing construction will be active in at least some type of sector, single or multi. In the past recession, we saw the Wasatch Front outperform many of the 50 largest markets. It is even better equipped to handle another blip than it was back in 2008. Remember, the Wasatch Front was experiencing a vibrant expansion when much of the rest of the country was stagnant or retracting deeply. The current economy leads to all boats rising, but I think in a future recession the Salt Lake City market will once again outperform the majority of the markets. Whether that translates into a continual buildup of highrises is questionable. However, I think the denser infill mid-rise apartment market in Salt Lake will never look back again.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 30, 2019 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:56 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Your magical Mexicans aren’t gonna work as scab labor for the trades because we protect our pay with a firewall of education. Someone hopping the border isn’t gonna make it through the reading and math required in 2A Electrician School. They totally destroyed the pay and quality in framing and painting. It’s not gonna happen with my trade.

Wages are going to keep going up and that will bring Americans to the trades. This Neoliberal mentality of relying on wage stunting shortcuts through opportunities for 3rd Worlders has run out of steam. And some of you need to read up on reciprocating license regulations in Utah and California.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...ruction-trump/

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Aug 30, 2019 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Your magical Mexicans aren’t gonna work as scab labor for the trades because we protect our pay with a firewall of education. Someone hopping the border isn’t gonna make it through the reading and math required in 2A Electrician School. They totally destroyed the pay and quality in framing and painting. It’s not gonna happen with my trade.

Wages are going to keep going up and that will bring Americans to the trades. This Neoliberal mentality of relying on wage stunting shortcuts through opportunities for 3rd Worlders has run out of steam. And some of you need to read up on reciprocating license regulations in Utah and California.

This comment could be an interesting commentary on the negatives of unregulated immigration and wage deflation, but it is lost in your bigoted and prejudice words. Lame.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:25 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post

I have a bunch of Mexicans on my crews. Our whole hospitality and service industry would collapse without them too. Where I live in SLC I don't fear Mexicans, I fear white crackies. Our shall I say Magical White Crackies?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:02 PM
of SLC

^^^
Uh, yeah, because two wrongs make a right...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:08 PM

Fleet Block rezone

Can anyone confirm that the city has chosen to ignore the plan that the Mayor chose for the Fleet Block?
It appears that they are scrapping those plans. There was an RFP to masterplan the block a couple years ago. Urban Design Associates completed the first phase of the RFP by creating a masterplan. But, many were underwhelmed with the proposal, which was largely influenced by the Mayor, for its low-density and mostly residential proposal. The new zoning proposal allows development up to 120 feet in height.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/fle...es-urban-core/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:28 PM

I will say this about the recent topic. As far as illegal immigrants are concerned in the construction industry. Contractors that hire them need to pay attention to there quality of work and following building codes. I understand this is always an industry wide area of concern regardless of where you are from but I can tell 1st hand, particularly with trades related to roofing, window, and exterior work like siding that there are rampant problems with inexperienced people working in these trades that are causing immense problems with water damage leading to huge lawsuits and leaving homeowners with lower property values. I’ve been involved on many projects correcting poor workmanship and a complete lack of understanding of proper procedures and installation of all sorts of materials and trades only to look at the 2nd or 3rd phases of the project that are underway and seeing the contractors are oblivious to the problems they are continuing to cause.

And this just scratches the surface of this topic

These building boom cycles are when these issues really come to the forefront because the industry just needs warm bodies. In most cases the work is good except a few key steps are missed that lead to huge problems. I’m sure you have heard of the problems in Daybreak as one high profile example. That’s just the tip of the iceberg really.

We need good quality labor with training and PMs that oversee these projects.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Can anyone confirm that the city has chosen to ignore the plan that the Mayor chose for the Fleet Block?
It appears that they are scrapping those plans. There was an RFP to masterplan the block a couple years ago. Urban Design Associates completed the first phase of the RFP by creating a masterplan. But, many were underwhelmed with the proposal, which was largely influenced by the Mayor, for its low-density and mostly residential proposal. The new zoning proposal allows development up to 120 feet in height.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/fle...es-urban-core/
It seems that way, yes, and thank god for that. That initial proposal was so underwhelming.

Here's hoping for Mendenhall as our next mayor...she seems to actually have an urbanist mindset, unlike Jackie.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 2:59 AM

NM. I don't keep up with the action here enough...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 4:29 PM

Article about the Utah Theatre tower

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/9/...LC1HRzidjFZeWU

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:18 PM

Liberty Sky

There looks to be a dumpster, a port-o-potty, and and few trucks on the Liberty Sky lot this morning. Possible surveying going on?

Last edited by nushiof; Sep 3, 2019 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post

Has this project been discussed on this forum prior to last week when Makid posted about it? Either I wasn’t paying close attention to it on here or there weren’t many rumors circulating about this project before last week. I sure hope it works out. These tall, thin buildings look so nice in the skyline

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
There looks to be a dumpster, a port-o-potty, and and few trucks on the Liberty Sky lot this morning. Possible surveying going on?
Now chain-link fencing going up around the property. Things are definitely happening.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Now chain-link fencing going up around the property. Things are definitely happening.
Can you get some pictures of it

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post

They show pictures of the proposed shiny new tower, but don’t include pictures of the beautiful theater in jeopardy... way to be impartial Deseret News.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
They show pictures of the proposed shiny new tower, but don’t include pictures of the beautiful theater in jeopardy... way to be impartial Deseret News.
They are being impartial. Most people know a building from the outside. If the Deseret News showed what the outside of the building looks like, there would be less people claiming the building should be saved.

Then you have the interior. This is the items that are able to be saved and can be incorporated into the new building. If they show the interior, you will have more people happy that the items will be saved and added to the new building, causing more people to like the redevelopment.

I am indifferent overall on saving the theater. I do however love the tower. If both could be done, it would be great but the city needs to look at the greater good for the city overall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West