HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:16 PM
Meh

Even with cheaper gas prices, convert to VIA isn't going back

From the San Antonio Express-News
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...oing_back.html

Even with cheaper gas prices, convert to VIA isn't going back

Ken Rodriguez

The Wal-Mart parking lot in Stone Oak is jammed with cars — and not because of a killer sale on turkeys.

It's Tuesday morning, 7:30, and the store is barely awake.

People didn't drive in to shop. They pulled in to catch the bus.

VIA's popular Express Route No. 6 began picking up passengers at 5:34 a.m.

Dan Mokry is here for the 7:38 pickup, dressed for work, historical novel in hand.

“I didn't start reading novels until I started riding the bus,” says Mokry, who works for AT&T. “It's 25 minutes to work, 25 minutes back. You can get a lot of reading done in that time.”

Mokry began riding the bus in early September when gas cost about $3.75 a gallon at his neighborhood convenience store.

Today, Mokry can buy fuel at the same station for $2.11. Despite the price drop, he refuses to drive to the office.

“If gas went to 10 cents a gallon,” he says, “I'd still take the bus.”

In two months, Mokry has become addicted to stress-free commutes. He can read, chat with passengers or close his eyes and drift.

No matter how low gas goes, driving can't beat those perks.

Others seem to agree. As fuel prices plummeted from September to October, VIA ridership increased 4.5 percent.

A preliminary estimate shows VIA recorded more than 4.3 million passenger trips in October — a record, says spokeswoman Priscilla Ingle.

It's been a good year for VIA. The transit system added new routes and thousands of passengers, including a number of bike-and-ride patrons.

Though a slight increase in fares is probable for next year, prices remain affordable for most.

I've met riders who take the bus for environmental reasons. I've met others who ride to avoid rush-hour traffic. But most began using the bus to save money.

Not long ago, the thinking for Stone Oak residents like Mokry was: Why spend $4 or more to drive to work when you can buy an Express bus ticket for $2 — or a monthly pass for $25?

For commuters who didn't need to drive after arriving at work, the bus made sense.

But now that it's easy to find gas for less than $2 a gallon, will VIA keep its passengers?

Thomas Roszak thinks so. He's one driver on the No. 6 Express.

“The numbers are going up,” he says. “Look at the cars.”

From his driver's seat, he points to a crush of parked trucks, SUVs and mini-vans.

Business is brisk, all right.

The No. 6 Express logged 16,545 passenger trips in October. Compare that with April, when the No. 6 Express logged a then-record 12,515 trips.

On Tuesday, a government holiday, Ingle was unable to determine if October marked another record-breaking month for the No. 6 Express.

Historically, she says, ridership numbers for all routes are high in October and lower in November.

No one knows what November might yield. But Mokry knows this. He's not driving to work anymore. No way.

It doesn't matter that he gets around in a small car (a 1999 Toyota Camry). Doesn't matter that it gets 25 miles per gallon.

Mokry is a convert, a true believer in public transportation.

If the soaring cost of fuel chased him to VIA, falling prices won't pry him away. As Mokry boards the No. 6 Express, it looks like he's on for the long haul.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:35 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

i was in and around the south texas medical center (SA) today and saw a remarkable number of medical professionals waiting at bus stops.

i think people are hooked. and who can blame them...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:43 PM
Meh

I mentioned it in another thread, but Austin's bus agency just had a strike last week. Except for a few non union workers and the buses on the UT Campus which are run by a different arm of Capital Metro, pretty much all of Capital Metro's buses were out of service. We had to drive out to North Austin one evening and I could definitely tell the difference of the increased traffic thanks to little to no bus service. The traffic was HORRIBLE. So yeah, it's only when you have incidents like that that you actually notice the impact the buses make. They reached an agreement on that strike by the way, it was over pay (of course).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 5:25 PM
Bears of antiquity

Mayor Bloomberg in NYC rides the subway

Several Starbucks execs ride the bus to work (and soon Light Rail!)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 12:29 AM

I was talking to my cousin in Dallas earlier today and this particular subject came up in the course of our conversation. He said he knows a lot of folks who started using DART for their commutes to/from work due to high gas prices and they are now hooked and won't go back to driving to work no matter how low gas gets.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I mentioned it in another thread, but Austin's bus agency just had a strike last week. Except for a few non union workers and the buses on the UT Campus which are run by a different arm of Capital Metro, pretty much all of Capital Metro's buses were out of service. We had to drive out to North Austin one evening and I could definitely tell the difference of the increased traffic thanks to little to no bus service. The traffic was HORRIBLE. So yeah, it's only when you have incidents like that that you actually notice the impact the buses make. They reached an agreement on that strike by the way, it was over pay (of course).
That's what austin gets for having the only private bus company in the state.

Also, as your 09 correspondent, I would like to report that many more 09ers are taking the bus, especially if they work downtown. I know a few people who bike to work everyday too (it's not that far downtown, but depending on the route there are some hills).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:02 AM
Closed account

Capital Metro isn't a private bus company. Private companies don't levy a 1 cent sales tax.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:26 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I have that info direct from a labor attorney. I would consider him to be a credible source.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:50 AM
Closed account

What private company do you know that has taxing authority? What private company has to win the voters support in an election to build passenger rail lines?

"Capital Metro's life story begins on January 19, 1985, when voters in Austin and the surrounding area approved the creation of the Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The voters agreed that the communities would support the agency with the proceeds from a one percent sales tax. Voters in that 1985 election also approved a service plan that expanded the existing Austin city bus service and called for the development of a light rail transportation system to serve the area."

I think this is where the confusion is coming from, although it would seem all public transportation systems in Texas would have a similar situation.

"State law prohibits any political subdivision of the state, such as Capital Metro, from engaging in collective bargaining with a labor organization. However, the Federal Transit Act requires recipients of federal transit assistance to protect collective bargaining rights. As a result of this conflict between state and federal laws, Capital Metro contracts with an independent contractor, StarTran, Inc. for the provision of operations' personnel, including bus operators and mechanics. Certain employees of StarTran, Inc. are represented by Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1091. Neither the Board nor the General Manager may exercise any direct authority over the employees of this independent contractor, StarTran."

So the drivers and mechanics do not actually work for Capital Metro. But nonetheless, Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Capital Metro for short) is public transportation, and is not, and has never been a private company.

http://www.capmetro.org/news/history.asp

Last edited by Scottolini; Nov 14, 2008 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 4:51 PM

Your friend was confused. CM is public; but they have to contract out to StarTran (operator involved in the strike) and other operators due to a mismatch between federal and state law regarding unions.

CM likes to pretend they aren't even involved in the labor negotiations, which is, of course, a complete lie.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 6:19 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
What private company do you know that has taxing authority? What private company has to win the voters support in an election to build passenger rail lines?

"Capital Metro's life story begins on January 19, 1985, when voters in Austin and the surrounding area approved the creation of the Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The voters agreed that the communities would support the agency with the proceeds from a one percent sales tax. Voters in that 1985 election also approved a service plan that expanded the existing Austin city bus service and called for the development of a light rail transportation system to serve the area."

I think this is where the confusion is coming from, although it would seem all public transportation systems in Texas would have a similar situation.

"State law prohibits any political subdivision of the state, such as Capital Metro, from engaging in collective bargaining with a labor organization. However, the Federal Transit Act requires recipients of federal transit assistance to protect collective bargaining rights. As a result of this conflict between state and federal laws, Capital Metro contracts with an independent contractor, StarTran, Inc. for the provision of operations' personnel, including bus operators and mechanics. Certain employees of StarTran, Inc. are represented by Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1091. Neither the Board nor the General Manager may exercise any direct authority over the employees of this independent contractor, StarTran."

So the drivers and mechanics do not actually work for Capital Metro. But nonetheless, Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Capital Metro for short) is public transportation, and is not, and has never been a private company.

http://www.capmetro.org/news/history.asp
That must be it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio