HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There was an article in Allnovascotia tonight about this development. They confirm that the building permit was issued in July but that the developers have delayed construction. They said they might start this winter or in the Spring.

Part of the reason given was that they're just busy with other projects. I wonder if they have tenants lined up...?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There was an article in Allnovascotia tonight about this development. They confirm that the building permit was issued in July but that the developers have delayed construction. They said they might start this winter or in the Spring.

Part of the reason given was that they're just busy with other projects. I wonder if they have tenants lined up...?
My understanding is no tenants have signed yet.

Shame, looks like a great project, but unfortunately the vacancy rate is going the other way, wait till the latest report as it will be up again.

As vacancy increases the existing product has greater advantage over new projects, especially downtown.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm surprised they didn't make this a residential project with retail and apartments above. It probably would have been easier to find tenants and better for the downtown.

It also makes me wonder how they are going to take on projects like the Roy Building if even this one takes years to move forward.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm surprised they didn't make this a residential project with retail and apartments above. It probably would have been easier to find tenants and better for the downtown.

It also makes me wonder how they are going to take on projects like the Roy Building if even this one takes years to move forward.
I would guess that they figured if they re-developed the Roy Building and this one in conjunction or this one first followed by Roy; it would be a 'build it and they will come' scenario.

Personally, I think they would've been better off doing Roy first - get the people there and then do this one.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:30 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This is more so for Barrington St. as a whole. Wouldn't Barrington look cool done like this. The already proposed towers could fit in nicely. This is 13th St in Washington

Photo by GregHickman on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:42 PM

From the Carsand-Mosher article in the CH

Quote:
Meanwhile, Starfish, which is controlled by Toronto-based Louis Reznick, is moving ahead with its new eSpace retail and office complex in the former Sam the Record Man property on Barrington.

The project will include the former music store at 1656 Barrington, an adjacent brick-faced building at 1652 Barrington and the former Granite Brewery building to the north at 1662 Barrington. The company plans to combine the three addresses while retaining their distinctive historic facades.

The Starfish development also includes the construction of a glass and metal addition above them that will be set back about three metres from the street front.

"Interior work at eSpace has been ongoing for quite some time," Rob Landry, the company’s property manager, said in an email. "Once we finalize a few remaining details we should be underway with the exterior and structural phase of construction shortly."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:34 PM
Honored Member

It is good to hear that interior work on the eSpace is currently underway. It will be even better to see the exterior construction begin.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 3:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I guess I'll set this one to under construction then. I'm also looking forward to seeing pictures of exterior construction and eventual tenants!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
opinionated so and so

This would be relatively quick to build, it would be nice to get this underway or done before the Roy starts to come down on the other side of the street.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
From the Carsand-Mosher article in the CH
I don't know how much meaningful interior work can be done prior to the structural work starting...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I don't know how much meaningful interior work can be done prior to the structural work starting...
Funny I was thinking the same thing. I'm assuming that it must be referring to the demo that was going on because otherwise it seem like putting the cart before the horse kind of

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 11:48 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I thought there was a thread for ESpace, but I couldn't find it. But things are now progressing on the site.

Here are some pics from Dawn Sloanes facebook page.

Thank you for the pictures Jonovision. It is great to see this moving along! I think this project will do wonders for Barrington Street.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 2:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Allnovascotia mentioned interest from national retailers in the storefront of this development. I don't remember what the floorplan is supposed to look like but it could attract something good.

According to the story the ground floor tenant will have to wait until the office floors are complete. They said the developer wants to have the development "ready" for the Fall. Not sure if this means prep work, construction complete, and/or interior ready for tenants.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 1:11 PM

Pretty sure they are trying to get all of the infrastructure in place so the tenants can come in and do their fit-up work when it is 'ready'. Includes all exit corridors, common bathrooms, basic mechanical infrastructure for all of the spaces. I suspect this place is going to have quite a nice vibe when it is all done. I must say it is nice to see it moving ahead! This is going to dramatically change the streetscape on that block. Hopefully this will be successful & we will see the life start to come back to Barrington!

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
This is more so for Barrington St. as a whole. Wouldn't Barrington look cool done like this. The already proposed towers could fit in nicely. This is 13th St in Washington

Photo by GregHickman on Flickr

Reminds me a bit of Yaletown in Vancouver. Lots of residential density with shortish apartment towers mixed in with townhouses. Would be interesting to see a similar kind of district pop up in central Halifax.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Pretty sure they are trying to get all of the infrastructure in place so the tenants can come in and do their fit-up work when it is 'ready'. Includes all exit corridors, common bathrooms, basic mechanical infrastructure for all of the spaces. I suspect this place is going to have quite a nice vibe when it is all done. I must say it is nice to see it moving ahead! This is going to dramatically change the streetscape on that block. Hopefully this will be successful & we will see the life start to come back to Barrington!

Its good to see this move ahead. With this and North Face moving in up the street and the new wine bar doing well things could be turning around for Barrington St.

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 12:51 AM

This presentation has some Espace related pictures, but also interior photos from Morse's Tea Building and several others on Barrington.

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 4:35 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
This presentation has some Espace related pictures, but also interior photos from Morse's Tea Building and several others on Barrington.
This link is very interesting. There are slides of the NFB redevelopment plans and it appears as though the plans are complete or almost complete. Maybe construction will begin soon(?).

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
As an edit to my previous post, I more recently heard that they are simply doing the facade work - renewing the exterior finshes, installing all the new glazing, etc. Still no news on tenants. This is actually a nice change from the norm - a developer who is renewing something without having a tenant. Not a bad strategy in my opinion - not only does it serve as an act of goodwill to the retinas of passerby, but I'm sure it must make it easier for potential tenants to guage the quality of what they are signing up for.

This actually instills in me some measure of confidence that the Roy Building will not be left as an unsightly hole in the ground once the current building is demolished. (being the same developer) I am very excited to see what will happen in DT over the next 2-3 years!

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 4:21 PM

I think his plan is to move the tenants from the Roy building into this space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth