HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:14 AM
Closed account

Dear Greenmidtown,
ummm...no offense but... NO FREAKIN WAY!!! Does Sac even come close to the nightlife in San Francisco! Here is one example: When I play shows in SF, the venues are packed and my band gets about $600 and up. When I play here in Sac, the crowd is so so and we are lucky to get $100 if we get paid at all! There are more bars and clubs on Geary street alone then in all of DT Sacramento. I love Sac, I live here, I am always cheering it on and defending it...but no way does it even compare to SF. I went to USF, graduated, did te SF thing for about 2 years before moving back here. On a positive note, when I left Sacramento, all we had DT was Pine Cove, Limelight, Raven, Old Town Tavern, Benny's, Old Ironsides and Press Club. Thats pretty much it! I did not know of one place in DT where you could dress up nice and go out back then like 58 Degrees or Zocolos, The Park or even Ink or the Monkey Bar. I am glad it has improved tremendously! And I see it improving even more (havent been to some of the new places yet....but I bet they are really awesome!). But please, SF is an international city with international entertainment. It was once the most visited city by tourists in the United States, even over NYC. No comparison...BUT! I do believe Sacramento has the potential, and I am not talking 20 years, but in probably 2 to 5 years (especially if the Towers, Aura, and R street and everything we are hoping comes along) it will be known as having a great nightlife and we wont be hearing trash talk about our city anymore. Personally, after exploring SF and living there, I like to live here and watch Sacramento grow up. Its actually more exciting for me, seeing construction and hearing all the news and then driving out and taking a look. I also enjoy meeting people who just moved here and giving them tips on what to do and where to go....OK..Thats my rant! I will try and post something useful next time for you guys!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:39 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
How does Sac hold up compared to other major cities you've partied in in terms of nightlife, good-looking people, and live shows?
Well, here's my 2cents. Im not much of a drinker ANYMORE, but I love live theater, especially, the small live theaters in West Hollywood and Hollywood. There's more variety in LA, and an enormous amount of undiscovered talent paying their dues. Big names regularly mix with the undiscovered which makes for some raw and emotional performances.

As far as good looking people, theres no place like West Hollywood. The beautiful bodies and hotties are a dime a dozen. NYC's Chelsea comes in as a close second.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:32 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
Dear Greenmidtown,
ummm...no offense but... NO FREAKIN WAY!!! Does Sac even come close to the nightlife in San Francisco! Here is one example: When I play shows in SF, the venues are packed and my band gets about $600 and up. When I play here in Sac, the crowd is so so and we are lucky to get $100 if we get paid at all! There are more bars and clubs on Geary street alone then in all of DT Sacramento. I love Sac, I live here, I am always cheering it on and defending it...but no way does it even compare to SF. I went to USF, graduated, did te SF thing for about 2 years before moving back here. On a positive note, when I left Sacramento, all we had DT was Pine Cove, Limelight, Raven, Old Town Tavern, Benny's, Old Ironsides and Press Club. Thats pretty much it! I did not know of one place in DT where you could dress up nice and go out back then like 58 Degrees or Zocolos, The Park or even Ink or the Monkey Bar. I am glad it has improved tremendously! And I see it improving even more (havent been to some of the new places yet....but I bet they are really awesome!). But please, SF is an international city with international entertainment. It was once the most visited city by tourists in the United States, even over NYC. No comparison...BUT! I do believe Sacramento has the potential, and I am not talking 20 years, but in probably 2 to 5 years (especially if the Towers, Aura, and R street and everything we are hoping comes along) it will be known as having a great nightlife and we wont be hearing trash talk about our city anymore. Personally, after exploring SF and living there, I like to live here and watch Sacramento grow up. Its actually more exciting for me, seeing construction and hearing all the news and then driving out and taking a look. I also enjoy meeting people who just moved here and giving them tips on what to do and where to go....OK..Thats my rant! I will try and post something useful next time for you guys!
x2.

I lived in SF the last 5 years before I moved back to Sac, and it's not close right now. Sac does have the potential though to get a lot better.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:30 PM
BUFF$LUT

okay you guys, so last night i guess badlands had some kind of pre grand opening event, because i dont think it actually opens till tonight. but last night i was chillin' at hot rods on the outdoor tables, and my oh my, the line to get into badlands was SOOO LONG. it reached a little past the G-Spot gift shop. i even saw my psychology teacher from McClatchy in line! it looked so fun, people were on the top balcony getting faded, (drunk) trannies were all dressed up, everyone had their best clothes on. and this was only around 9pm. god i cant wait til i'm 21!! there were even like what looked like 50 something year olds, so there was variety. overall: badlands is a hoot. it made 20th & K st seem VERY alive. although faces and the depot did seem very lonely, i'm sure once faces' new features open up (swimming pool/dance floor) badlands will have competition. okay i'm done.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
x2.

I lived in SF the last 5 years before I moved back to Sac, and it's not close right now. Sac does have the potential though to get a lot better.
point taken you guys. I've never lived in SF so I'll take your word for it. What about other cities you've been to that are of comparable size to Sac? In my experience Sac has better clubs than Portland but Portland has better bars and a much better live music scene. But Sac imo has hotter people.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:48 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
point taken you guys. I've never lived in SF so I'll take your word for it. What about other cities you've been to that are of comparable size to Sac? In my experience Sac has better clubs than Portland but Portland has better bars and a much better live music scene. But Sac imo has hotter people.
In my living experiences and humble opinion - in terms of entertainment, not hotness.

SF=LA (different strokes...) > Philly > Sacto=Oakland/Berkeley > ..............................................................................San Jose

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
Of course SF has never really been much of a party town.
I was just reading this again and really, GM, San Francisco is a ridiculously huge party town if you've ever visited or lived here much. From the many street fairs and festivals to the nightclub, bar, lounge, theater, arts, music scene, SF has it all. Really only a few cities in the WORLD, much less the US, can compare to SF. Read somewhere that if you visited a different bar, lounge, nightclub in SF each day, it will take two years to visit them all.

Now, Sac and San Jose or Portland is a much fairer comparism. I have been to SJ many times before but only twice in the last two years so I can't really give a good assessment in todays world, as we were mostly in the Santana Row area. But SJ even back then was not much better than Sac. Been to Portland about four times in the last two years and I would say Sac is comparable to Portland but I give Portland the edge. In Portland, they have a livelier downtown and Pioneer square and old town area has many of the bars, clubs and restaurants. You can walk from place to place in many parts of downtown or take the free light rail. Seattle is another nice place that I visited twice but not in the last five years. Seattle had, or still has, a great live music scene but not many large dance/nightclubs. 'Twas still a fun city. And yes, I do agree that Sac does have hotter women than San Jose or Portland. But San Francisco has hotter looking women (walking around the financial district here at lunch can give you neck cramps) day or night. Miami had the hottest looking exotic women (luv that city).

In the travels I have done in the US, I'd say Miami, LA, Chicago and New York were closer to SF and Denver, Portland and Orlando were more like Sacramento party wise.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 9:58 PM

black pearl

I know this is old news but does anyone know why Black Pearl closed?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:26 PM

I just read in an Elk Grove forum that one of the restaurats out there (Table 260 - Southern/Cajun style food) will be opening another location in downtown. Apparently it's going to be at 8th and J.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:57 PM
my posse's on broadway

Thanks for the tip. I never would have figured a southern style restaurant for 800J Lofts.

interesting... here is a PDF of their menu.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 11:27 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
I just read in an Elk Grove forum that one of the restaurats out there (Table 260 - Southern/Cajun style food) will be opening another location in downtown. Apparently it's going to be at 8th and J.
I dig this restaurant While I was walking by 800 J today I noticed walls
being painted on the inside... I could really go for some Jambalaya

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 5:32 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

So, we went to Roxy tonight for dinner. I would recommend it mainly for the service. The waiter was very attentive and when he asked how is your steak, I said, honestly its not that good (I never do that). The waiter asked if he could bring me something else. I said yes, and they quickly brought me another meal.

They serve really good breakfasts on the weekends and I would recommend that over their dinners. Although, not in midtown, it has a very relaxed comfortable atmosphere. This place is owned by the same folks that own Lucca. on J Street.

Nice Bar and outdoor seating as well.

Roxy: 2381 Fair Oaks Blvd just before Fulton. Separate from Loehmans Plaza.
Bon Appetite!

Last edited by BrianSac; Mar 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:27 PM

Hey I was out last night walking around the hood and I went to 20th and K. The metrosexual nightlife hub is beginning to look like a real city (at night anyway). This is what the city wishes K Street would feel like. And MARRS and the Pick-me-up coffeehouse still haven't opened! The only problem I see with this intersection is that unless the city and/or the businesses install flashing yellow lights and raised crosswalks (more) people are going to get hurt by the %^*&$@! going 40 in a 25.

Last edited by ozone; Mar 31, 2007 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 7:00 PM
my posse's on broadway

Getting the shafts
There are lots of double-takes as people pass the construction site of midtown's newest parking garage.

By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rising from the ground, at 28th and N streets, is an eight-story elevator shaft. Nothing else. Another one will be going up soon, nearby. Only after the twin elevator towers are up will workers begin building the floors that will contain 1,100 parking spaces for the Sutter Medical Center's expanded campus.

An inside-out way to erect a building? Not at all, says Larry Maas, Sutter's assistant administrator, who reports it's a common technique. Maas assures us that the Sutter parking facility -- available to the community as well as hospital visitors -- will be special. For a garage, at least. Metalwork on the exterior will provide an arty touch. A group of retail shops, including a restaurant, will occupy the building's N Street side.

Who will run the restaurant? In midtown, who else? Yes, Maas, confirms, Randy Paragary is "very engaged" in the project, which sits across from Paragary's Bar & Oven.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 5:41 PM
Kodachrome

A couple weeks ago the Pyramid on K Street removed the brewing tanks from
the restaurant… doe’s anybody know what’s going on there. They aren’t in
the process of closing up are they?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
A couple weeks ago the Pyramid on K Street removed the brewing tanks from
the restaurant… doe’s anybody know what’s going on there. They aren’t in
the process of closing up are they?
No, there was an article in the Bee a month or two ago about how they are changing their tanks to more efficient (although smaller) ones.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 5:57 PM

EDIT: What Sacdelicious's said.

In the same article they said that sales numbers were fine, when speculation of it closing came up. I hope they can keep hanging in there. I really dig the beer there.

Last edited by sugit; Apr 2, 2007 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 6:23 PM

Here was the article -

By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PST Saturday, March 10, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D5

Tanks for memories: All of the brewing equipment was hauled out of downtown's Pyramid Alehouse this week. But don't fret.

The removal of the joint's shiny fermentation tanks and pipes is temporary, says local Pyramid GM Mike Mathot. They'll be replaced in May by a smaller but better brewing system.

"We'll be able to brew here more frequently," he says.

The original eight-tank system was installed when the place opened 3 1/2 years ago at 11th and K streets. It wasn't efficient and was used sparingly.

The new three-tank system is being moved here from Pyramid's Seattle alehouse and will produce what Mathot calls "brewer's handles" -- the experimental and seasonal beers that supplement Pyramid's year-around mainstays, which are shipped here from Berkeley and Portland.

Is the system's downsizing a sign that the local alehouse hasn't done the business execs expected? Not at all, Mathot says. Sales are steadily growing, despite the frustratingly uneven pace of redevelopment on K Street Mall.

Mathot sees the sales numbers from all of the company's five alehouses in Washington, Oregon and California.

"We're holding our own," he says.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 5:34 AM
Got Good Grub?

FWIW - the L Street Wine Bar, here at 1801 L Street, is scheduled to open on April 14th with a private party. Word is they'll be open to the public on the 15th or so. I'll post any updates.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Apr 5, 2007 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:53 AM
Got Good Grub?

Spotted - snfenoc at Trader Joe's tonight. Yes - he's still alive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area