HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

View Poll Results: This was 13-years in the making...was it worth it?
Yes 74 96.10%
No 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 2:07 AM
Reason and Freedom

Another article on this very topic.

"Were the Olympics Worth it for Vancouver?": http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/w...-planting-seed

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:47 AM
Beautiful BC

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
FANTASTIC video!!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 6:28 AM

While I strongly believe the Olympics have been positive for Vancouver and for the Canadian spirit, I'm a bit wary when anytime a politician or media personality feels the need to tell me the definitive meaning of an experience.

For that reason, I found the CTV coverage that last evening far too heavy handed. At one point, I found myself thinking, "I appreciate the observations, 'Dad' , but please put the hammer away."

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 7:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

CTV's coverage was alright, but like many others, I just thought it was to heavy on Canada. I think it contributed to a lot of disappointing moments when Canadian Athletes didn't win the gold medal or didn't reach the podium. Their commentary wasn't very good though, mostly during the Opening and Closing ceremonies. Whatever Lisa Laflame said during the closings were very lame.

And like I said earlier, Global wasn't negative during the games. Global BC's approach to news is simply sparking a discussion question, and they answer this question in both sides of the coin during the video content. The question itself might seem negative, but that doesn't mean their content itself is negative. In a sense, there were a bit more negative news from Global before the games began, but I thought that was natural and appropriate. During the games, Global tried to take an active part of the games by broadcasting from Robson Square and Concord Place, and they managed to get interviews with many athletes. Even after, they had a phone line for people to share their Olympic Experiences with the VANOC staff members and interviewed John Furlong during the News Hour. Whether you like it or not, Global's network dominates Vancouver and they have quite a lot of influence and power. I can see this start to weaken just a bit, but not by too much. Global BC's news style has been slowly declining over the years though. I just hate their new "state-of-the-art" green-screen newsroom: a new facelift overhaul, better refined reporting, and 16:9 HD will definitely win back a few hearts.

CBC also tried to cover a lot about the games, naturally. I would say CBC initially was quite critical about the games, but they ended up giving a somewhat positive impression during and after. They even gave a Olympic Reportcard on the National. One thing I didn't like is that they kept on rubbing the fact that they couldn't show clips of the games because they didn't have the rights to do so.

But honestly, if CBC had rights to the 2010 coverage (along with Rogers Sportsnet), I'm sure it would've been just the same quality as CTV's coverage. I never had an issue with CBC's coverage of the Olympics in the past, just their news broadcasting style.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]