HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Today, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Porter's fleet only has Dash 8-400s and E195s and I can't imagine there would be enough demand for traffic between YSJ and a YHZ to use a plane of that size.
I know. AC used to use those little Beech 1900's but I think they have retired them all....although maybe Air Georgian still has some. edit Whoops! looks like they ceased operations in 2020.

I wonder if it might not be something run by PAL.
I suppose any additional activity at YSJ is positive but we really need some competition to AC. Only Westjet or Porter can offer that in terms of connecting to a relatively extensive North American route map.

Old Posted Today, 2:16 PM

Over on Airliners.net, there’s a few folks tracking the Porter fleet. There’s definitely slack in their DH4 fleet out of Ottawa for a lot more routes there, just need more pilots. I’ve always heard it’s more a matter of when, not if, Porter will return to YSJ (probably via Ottawa first). So that could be something.

Also of note. PAL has an application in (or approved - not clear) to operate to the US, whereby they would run the YHZ-BOS/EWR flights on behalf of AC. They do have aircraft coming from AC as part of their arrangement with them for some of the Atlantic Canada flying they are doing. So, possible that they start re-opening the YHZ-YSJ/YFC/YQM/YYG routes as part of that to get more feed into flights PAL/AC flights out of YHZ (much like the EVAS/Jazz days)

We’ll have to wait and see. But I’d say any announcement for new routes for YSJ would either be Porter or PAL(with AC interline)

Old Posted Today, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Over on Airliners.net, there’s a few folks tracking the Porter fleet. There’s definitely slack in their DH4 fleet out of Ottawa for a lot more routes there, just need more pilots. I’ve always heard it’s more a matter of when, not if, Porter will return to YSJ (probably via Ottawa first). So that could be something.

Also of note. PAL has an application in (or approved - not clear) to operate to the US, whereby they would run the YHZ-BOS/EWR flights on behalf of AC. They do have aircraft coming from AC as part of their arrangement with them for some of the Atlantic Canada flying they are doing. So, possible that they start re-opening the YHZ-YSJ/YFC/YQM/YYG routes as part of that to get more feed into flights PAL/AC flights out of YHZ (much like the EVAS/Jazz days)

We’ll have to wait and see. But I’d say any announcement for new routes for YSJ would either be Porter or PAL(with AC interline)
Well, fingers crossed it's Porter and not PAL operating on behalf of AC. Given the pricing disparity between AC flights from YSJ and flights from other Maritime airports we desperately need the competition.

Old Posted Today, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I am becoming increasingly convinced that Air Canada's long range goal is to kill demand in and out of YSJ in order to justify abandoning the route.

My youngest just booked to come home from Vancouver in June.

Air Canada YVR to YQM....$480 return
Air Canada YVR to YSJ......$1400+ return
Doesn't seem to far off. Also, keep in mind that Saint John has the largest Air Canada call centre with over 300 employees. Wouldn't surprise me if some genius executive at AC thought up a way to save a bit of money by cutting down on Saint John call centre employees using their flight benefits, by cancelling a bunch of YSJ routes. Can't exactly do that for Montreal, Tampa Bay, or Winnipeg, but little ole' Saint Jean? n'est-ce pas!

We need better regulation of airline pricing, and more competition among Canadian airlines, yesterday!

I don't see how they could actually justify abandoning Saint John while keeping Bathurst, but Air Canada will never surprise me with their continued commitment to making flying in and out of Saint John, difficult.

Old Posted Today, 4:34 PM

Would be great to see Porter back, but also would like to see Flair expand their flight options (especially a route to Montreal, Boston, or New York). I've flown with Flair many times to Toronto, and never had a problem, despite hearing absolute horror stories about them from people in other cities.

Crazily enough, I was looking at flights to Montreal a few months ago, and it was actually cheaper to fly to Orlando from Saint John, then book a second flight to Montreal, than it was to fly to Montreal directly from Saint John! Airline pricing is has always been absurd, but that's some next level crap!

Would happily never fly with Air Canada again if possible, especially not flying back to Saint John with Air Canada via Montreal after coming off an international flight, it's just not worth it! They set you up with connections where either you or your luggage will not make it on the flight. I've Never once had that problem coming back to Saint John through Toronto after an international flight.

Old Posted Today, 6:04 PM

I think Flair is probably more focused on making payroll next week than adding routes.

Old Posted Today, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I think Flair is probably more focused on making payroll next week than adding routes.
lol good one!

We better hope they survive... YSJ with Air Canada as the only option would be truly grim!

Old Posted Today, 8:58 PM

Flair's survival is of little interest to me. They don't offer routes I normally fly and a service just to Toronto is of little value to me.

Plus I like a deal as much as the next guy but their barebones/no service model isn't really up my alley. Bring on Porter!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces