HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:14 AM

I can definitely see BRT or LRT working for transit users (all Winnipeggers) only if it were expanded sooner than later. So long as it runs along corridors that see a fair amount of commuter traffic. Having hubs I think will work and dedicated feeder lines involved some how. (I'm no logistics engineer)

The real question is funding and the commitment to get it completed over the course of route construction.

I get the impression that city hall is not up to the task as of yet, because it would likely mean cuts to other municipal responsibilities and vote getting ventures.

and the wheels on the bus go round n round, round n round........

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:52 AM
Starring as himself

I remember from my days in Boston that on the Green T line (basically a streetcar) to Boston College, if two of the cars got bunched up together and the second was mostly empty they would, right on the spot, change the first one to express (no stops) and make everyone who didn't want express switch on to the second one.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I remember from my days in Boston that on the Green T line (basically a streetcar) to Boston College, if two of the cars got bunched up together and the second was mostly empty they would, right on the spot, change the first one to express (no stops) and make everyone who didn't want express switch on to the second one.
...but then that would require thinking. We do not have anyone working for Transit with that authority and the ability to think ahead. Their plan would be, we have you on here now, sooner or later we'll make it to your destination.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:55 PM

Unfortunately this city is run by a bunch of retards!!!! This city takes one step forward then makes an idiotic decision that then takes this city ten steps back. Here's another example of or politicians at city hall just doing that.

The city reported it needed 300 million to complete the second phase of the SW Rapid Transit Corridor..... CRYING they have no money for it..... ASKING to raise bus fair $0.20........ ASKING the Provence for a share of the gas tax cause THEY DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO COMPLETE IT.

WELL WELL WELL, They sure found the 300 million now to complete the Chief Peguis Trail all the way to Route 90 and the William Clement Parkway to Wilkes Avenue, both by 2016 instead of by 2031!!!

Clearly this city is NOT trying to move forward as a modern city. YES, we do need those extensions, but LET'S FINISH ONE PRODUCTIVE PROJECT FIRST!!!!!! This pisses me right off....more so than the stupid water park bullshit!!!!!

Read the factual article on this in the Winnipeg Free Press... http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...149015725.html

For up to the date posts of the 311 At Centre Point Winnipeg, PLEASE visit my form here at -----> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197745

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Apr 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:13 AM

A look at my layout for our RT System. A pipe dream I know, but if utilized properly the cost could be kept at a minimum.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2...52276,0.617294

All I have drawn is what the main lines would be. My assumption was that feeder lines could be used for each subsection of rapid transit allowing more focused routes.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:40 AM

I really wish the chief peguis expansion had included rapid transit, this further expansion also.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:48 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmklym View Post
I really wish the chief peguis expansion had included rapid transit, this further expansion also.
Why would CPT need rapid transit?

Its not like you have tons of bus routes needed between Lag and Main St.

Rapid transit in Winnipeg (along with every other city in North America) is a series of spokes going to and from downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
A look at my layout for our RT System. A pipe dream I know, but if utilized properly the cost could be kept at a minimum.

All I have drawn is what the main lines would be. My assumption was that feeder lines could be used for each subsection of rapid transit allowing more focused routes.
Good ideas there CA - except maybe the western leg, which is a bit convoluted in it's route downtown. I like your idea of a corridor along Wilkes - with several thousand acres of land south of Wilkes slated to be developed over the next few decades, there are some real opportunities for transit oriented development out there, we have the foresight. Would also tie in well with the development of the Parker lands, and the higher density condos that have sprung up over the past few years North of Sterling Lyon...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

Seems good...but the only one I don't know about is the line going to south st. vital. That's my old area...and i think that at most we'd only ever be able to have an express bus. even though the ridership during rush hour (and outside of rush hour sometimes) would be RT worthy. It'd be great to have RT, but there's just no room for it. Especially on St. Annes -- where it looks like you line runs.

The only place that's physically suitable for RT in the south-east is the along the CN line...but it pretty much only runs through wealthier areas like Royal Wood....and they're probably pretty unlikely to use transit...even if it was a high speed monorail with an onboard masseuse.

I especially like your raised RT track from Union Station to graham though

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post

For up to the date posts of the 311 At Centre Point Winnipeg, PLEASE visit my form here at -----> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197745
Can we put a limit on how many emoticons the younger members can use so as to maintain the perception that we're not actually all twelve years old ?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:39 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Can we put a limit on how many emoticons the younger members can use so as to maintain the perception that we're not actually all twelve years old ?
Agreed.

That post reminded me of this...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
Seems good...but the only one I don't know about is the line going to south st. vital. That's my old area...and i think that at most we'd only ever be able to have an express bus. even though the ridership during rush hour (and outside of rush hour sometimes) would be RT worthy. It'd be great to have RT, but there's just no room for it. Especially on St. Annes -- where it looks like you line runs.

The only place that's physically suitable for RT in the south-east is the along the CN line...but it pretty much only runs through wealthier areas like Royal Wood....and they're probably pretty unlikely to use transit...even if it was a high speed monorail with an onboard masseuse.

I especially like your raised RT track from Union Station to graham though
Thanks for the constructive feedback. However the St. Vital line was actually east of St. Annes on a track. I don't know if that was the one you were talking about that only runs through the rich areas. But if you look at the short info box it states that a majority of the RT would be rail, used on existing tracks, severely lowering the cost of doing this over all.

My plan was to have Rail do the main to and from downtown for each sub-section followed by a loop feeding the track routes of bus transit. That way not near as much has to be demolished, and all that has to be built are the stations.

And in regards to the St James-St. Charles line, It is the only place I could think of without having to lay right through residential neighbourhoods, which in urban planning I wouldn't doubt as a very bad thing as that can create ghetto's. - At least it does in the states.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:12 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

@ChrisA...re: your RT map....

Why is there a line going down Wilkes/McGillivray? Are there enough population going down that way to make a rail-based transit route that part of town?

I don't think it'd be sensible to put rail-transit there and spend how much $$$...Even if there were no such thing as $$$ it'd still make no sense. How many would ride rapid transit to Oak Bluff Manitoba?

Instead focus on what would make actual sense, like a commuter rail line between Selkirk and Winnipeg, to replace the Beaver Bus.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

My point of posting so many animated smilies is to grab the attention of members reading this post. Seems to have worked since you came on are complaining about it.

Who the mature one posting a complaint about it???

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
@ChrisA...re: your RT map....

Why is there a line going down Wilkes/McGillivray? Are there enough population going down that way to make a rail-based transit route that part of town?

I don't think it'd be sensible to put rail-transit there and spend how much $$$...Even if there were no such thing as $$$ it'd still make no sense. How many would ride rapid transit to Oak Bluff Manitoba?

Instead focus on what would make actual sense, like a commuter rail line between Selkirk and Winnipeg, to replace the Beaver Bus.
That made no sense sir. The point of the Wilkes Transit was for future development in the south. It is called Forward thinking. And it wouldn't cost a fortune as it would be built on existing rail lines. You're statement beyond that made absolutely no sense what so ever. And you obviously haven't been reading previous posts.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:31 PM

While I think the location of the routes themselves are important, I think the biggest thing is connecting key locations within the city easily and efficiently. Downtown (ie. MTS Center/Portage Place/The Bay) and the U of M (and stadium) is a start, but I hope the routes eventually also connect to other key locations like the airport, Polo Park, Main (ie. the museum and concert hall), the Forks, Health Science Center, etc.

I also hope the people planning the routes are able to integrate both Union Station and CPR Station in the future and convert them into RT stations. It's what they were originally designed for anyways, and Union Station could be a station for the Forks and CPR station could be a station for the Waterfront/East Exchange/Chinatown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
My point of posting so many animated smilies is to grab the attention of members reading this post. Seems to have worked since you came on are complaining about it.

You may be attracting attention, but you're also likely alienating many who just will ignore your posts in the future.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:40 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

Or you could just trust that we would read your post.

Its like yelling at people when they are already paying attention. It's just obnoxious.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:47 PM

Just updated the RT idea so that it is a little easier to read. When talking about Elevated Rail I am referring to something like this.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=Elevat...,r:14,s:0,i:94

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:49 PM

Considering Council has made its goals very clear, I know we will never get this in my lifetime, which saddens me like you wouldn't believe, but if I was ever to run for mayor - a man can dream - My main priority would be allowing something like this to come true. I would look at Private-Public Partnerships, much like they have with the 407 Toll Route in Toronto. If it can be done for a road, why can't it be done for Transit?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan