HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
Oh green pandora

sayonara soaring walls

of arugula
Hilarious.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 8:06 PM

Nice Haiku

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 5:55 PM

philopdx = Haiku Genius

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 3:52 AM

And we have visible activity!! 10-31-2010

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 1:50 AM
A before E

I am shock to see this actually happening....I thought the Cubs were gonna win the World Series before they began on this project.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 2:16 AM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:08 AM

I take it the rendering on the right is the current one? I think I like it better.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 1:36 AM

From the DJC:

Quote:
Renovation on Portland federal building begins
POSTED: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM PT
BY: Nathalie Weinstein
Tags: Howard S. Wright

Construction began Wednesday on a $139 million renovation of the Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building in downtown Portland, according to Ross Buffington, spokesman for the U.S. General Services Administration.

As part of a plan to reduce energy use among its portfolio of federal buildings, the U.S. General Services Administration and Howard S. Wright Construction will begin construction to modernize the building to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum standards, the highest green building rating offered by the U.S. Green Building Council.

The renovation is expected to reduce lighting energy use by 40 percent and water use by 65 percent thanks to advanced lighting systems and low-flow fixtures, Buffington said. A solar array on the building’s roof is also expected to offset 6 percent of the building’s power.

Designed by SERA Architects of Portland and Cutler Anderson Architects of Bainbridge Island, Wash., the building’s original design included a 250-foot tall living wall to shade and insulate the structure for better energy performance. Concerns over the cost and maintenance of the vegetated façade, however, led designers in August change the design to a shading system made of aluminum rods. Planters with climbing plants will be added to the base of the building, however, to shade the bottom three stories of the building.

Congressman Earl Blumenauer and Mayor Sam Adams planned to join the GSA at the project site at 1220 S.W. Third Ave., in Portland, to announce the start of construction at 10 a.m. Wednesday.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
I take it the rendering on the right is the current one? I think I like it better.
Agreed - I hope so.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 7:09 AM

If that article is correct and the new shading is via aluminum rods I doubt it will look much like that new rendering.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 2:49 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Madrid View Post
If that article is correct and the new shading is via aluminum rods I doubt it will look much like that new rendering.
curious how you can be so sure? who says the aluminum is not anodized or coated to dull the finish? I think how far the green will climb will be an interesting experiment for certain.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 7:53 PM

Well, I'm not sure. But in the render those looks awfully translucent.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 9:58 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Madrid View Post
I doubt any of this will end up looking even the least bit like what we see here. Look at the building to the left (the Justice Center). Are they going to change the facade of that one too, because it looks completely different in each render. If they can't even get the look of a finished building right...

Maybe this would look better with a larger view, but in the tiny pic we see here, it's pretty bad. Why did they have to ugly up the roof? The underside of that roof is what we're going to see. Sheesh. And the west side of the building looks hideous.

I do like the base of the building, but who know what it will actually look like when completed.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 6:25 PM
Illustrator

EGWW Renderings

Haven't posted here in a while, but I just did a new search on the EGWW kickoff, and this board came up. I did the renderings for the EGWW project, and hopefully I can clear a few things up:

My understanding is that the design shown in the new rendering is pretty much what gets built. The new vertical rod system is a series of very thin (about 2" thick) aluminum rods, painted green with an anodized, matte finish. (not translucent, just very thin and lots of them) Every two floors, the rod pattern overlaps and in perspective start to blur together. This effect can be seen more clearly in the large rendering.

Vines will be planted at the base of the rods, and are expected to grow to a height of 40-50 feet above the street. Above that will be rods only.

A lot more trees are being planted in front of the west elevation with the new configuration so not as much of the first two floors are visible in the rendering.

No, the Justice Center is not changing. Jim Cutler specifically asked me to darken it in the new version of the rendering so that the northernmost fin grouping will stand out in the view as much as possible. If you look closely you can see that I changed the time of day in the two views - the first is early morning, so that the Justice Center will be catching glancing sunlight. In the second view, it's late morning (more like 11-12) and EGWW is casting a shadow on the Justice Center.

They also requested that all cars visible in the scene are American - apparently the Smart Car was not domestic enough. On Morrison is a Volt and of course up close is a hybrid Focus.

The curtain wall behind the rods is a cool, dark green continuous glass facade. The intent is for the bulk of the skin to mimic the One Main building nearby but with a green cast. A system of vertical fins (similar to those on the west) and horizontal louvers are added to the south skin to reduce solar gain & glare. Hard to read in the small version - check out the big one and it should make more sense.

The designers actually felt that the first version of the roof was too simple (boring) and so changed the structural system to allow for a pair of additional I-beam extensions to overrun the roof at each beam.

Here is a link to a bigger version of the new rendering:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...14.54302860697

And here is a link to a VERY large version of the new rendering:
http://www.twitpic.com/3gt8yz/full

Here is a link to a VERY large version of the original rendering:
http://www.twitpic.com/3gtj35/full

Here is a VERY large version of the aerial rendering of the original design:
http://www.twitpic.com/ynwb3/full

And here is a "making of" slideshow that I put together showing the process of constructing the rendering:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2860697&ref=mf

Hope that helps - if you have any questions, you can contact me and I will be checking the board for any new messages. Thanks!
Scott Baumberger

Last edited by scottb; Dec 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 12:21 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Scott: my apologies for the snark about the changed render of the Justice Center building. As a non-architect who enjoys seeing Portland's downtown progressing, I get excited whenever I see renders for new buildings (or, in this case, a makeover). I'm often fascinated by the difference between what we see in a render and what gets built. Maybe 'fascinated' isn't the right word. Anyway... I appreciate your explanation.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:10 PM

Thanks Scott for providing the information. Much appreciated!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 2:27 AM

Yes, many thanks to Scott.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 3:52 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Demolition/removal of the facade and groundwork has commenced.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:43 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Demolition/removal of the facade and groundwork has commenced.
This building is on my bike ride home every night so I usually try to take a quick stop there at the light each time to see the new progress on this building...it will be fun to watch this one get renovated, seeing that I just assumed it would never happen....at least while I was alive.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 9:44 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

My pic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland