HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:07 PM

Looks like the apartment building next to the Grand Hyatt has gotten significantly taller also from its previous renderings. Two shorter towers for Amazon is somewhat of a disappointment however and even a little boring. Notice that the Yards is becoming more of a wall than the varied palette of the original design. Too bad.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:17 PM
Nashville born and raised

Bumping to new page for reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Amazon is going with two buildings in the Nashville Yards project.

The first phase looks to be a 23 story building reported to be 566,000 sf. The second phase looks to be similarly sized.

More info when I get it.

Revised view of Nashville Yards from above with the proposed Amazon Towers on the left.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:30 PM

The TENNESSEAN has more details on the revealing of the office tower(s) plans for the Amazon Operations Center of Excellence in the Nashville Yards Development.

Quote:
The first 20-story tower will rise more than 300 feet above 10th Ave. N., at 1001 Church Street. The second tower will follow, completing the company's so-called Operations Center of Excellence.

The tech giant will begin hiring workers in 2019. They will have offices at WeWork until the new facilities are finished in 2021 or 2022.

The first building will include 11 levels of stacked parking, a bike storage room and an area for on-site daycare, according to the plans. On the fifth level, a "green roof" amenity deck will be available to employees.

Quote:
Architectural plans were submitted to planning officials Thursday, in advance of the Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency's design review committee hearing on Jan. 3.

Also, a picture from the TENNESSEAN....Derrick probably is thinking..."Two towers? Cool!"

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 3:00 PM

Finally, the last of my four Nashville Urban Neighborhoods updates, which were interrupted by the Amazon news in November. This time, it features Nashville's Midtown and beyond. The other three updates begin on page 160 and some projects have already changed in scope and description.

Midtown Nashville

Second crane up (for tower), concrete rising above ground.

About half-way up.

Should start soon. No concerns.

Excavation well under way.

Starting 7 story building first, 12 story start TBA.

Early permits being acquired, signs up.

Neighborhood backlash causing developer to reduce height. Details unknown.

Waiting for tenant

Tower crane up. Beginning second level

Opening soon.

Rising fast, up to 3rd level

Topped out, all-star tenant..Ernst - Young...600 top flight jobs

No start date announced, no concerns

And developments in other areas....

Airport upgrades in progress, hotel a couple of years off

Beginning phase one. Probably were waiting on Amazon announcement to start.

And one of my favorites...

Work on new Fairgrounds exhibit buildings beginning, stadium should begin once those are complete (a year?)

Obviously, trying to make a list like this is like playing whack-a-mole as projects are added, revised and removed on a weekly basis. But I'll try to keep up with them the best I can.

Edit: A couple more moles....

Nashville's Top Golf was the second busiest in the nation this past year (behind Vegas) and expected to be first this year. That many drunk golfers need a hotel.

Optimistic on this one. These new developers have a can-do reputation.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Dec 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 9:13 PM

MidTenn,

Thanks for the updates, I really like the Vanderbilt building!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 9:41 PM
Future God

I still can't see that River North development coming to fruition, at least not any time within the next twenty years. I mean, that'd basically be whole other CBD being built from scratch, and for no real reason given the fact that there is still SO much open or underused land in the actual CBD. That's the type of development that might work in some huge city like Paris or Buenos Aires or something, but Nashville? I don't think we're in need of something like that. But hey, even if all we get are the infrastructure improvements I'd consider that a big win. Maybe we'll even get the pedestrian bridge and some residential density?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I still can't see that River North development coming to fruition, at least not any time within the next twenty years. I mean, that'd basically be whole other CBD being built from scratch, and for no real reason given the fact that there is still SO much open or underused land in the actual CBD. That's the type of development that might work in some huge city like Paris or Buenos Aires or something, but Nashville? I don't think we're in need of something like that. But hey, even if all we get are the infrastructure improvements I'd consider that a big win. Maybe we'll even get the pedestrian bridge and some residential density?
You could say that about any of area of town. Those areas still happened.

What does Buenos Aires or Paris have to do with developers building structures in Nashville?

Topgolf is already in the immediate area. Ifly is slated to open next year. A hotel tower and apartment building are proposed. So it seem those developers are/were not waiting twenty years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
You could say that about any of area of town. Those areas still happened......Topgolf is already in the immediate area. Ifly is slated to open next year. A hotel tower and apartment building are proposed. So it seem those developers are/were not waiting twenty years.
Actually, no you can't say that about any area of Nashville. The history of Nashville shows that there are areas in which major growth will be concentrated first and foremost. Broadway. West End. Music Row. Because they are anchored by our cultural core. Honky-tonk lower Broad, Belmont, Vanderbilt, Centennial Park. Oh, there will be nodes on lesser streets, i.e. 12th S., Belle Meade, Green Hills, but URBAN Nashville will develop on it's historic primary avenues. The other radial Pikes generally have had in the past, a more unseemly reputation which hinders an urban style growth. I speak as a 70 year native Nashvillian. One of the nails in the box forcing the present dense growth is the interstate inner ring, the other is the river. Even though Topgolf and such are indeed a much appreciated improvement, East Nashville, Gallatin Road or Dickerson Pike will never approach the density or heights of Midtown. There is not enough open land in all those old neighborhoods to support it. For example, how many intersections on Ellington Parkway have any worthwhile development in 50 years? Madison hasn't changed much in 50 years either. I know because I tried something similar at Briley and Dickerson 40 years ago (Eurosphere). All that my efforts produced was the zoo. Any real development across the river is going to be adjacent to the stadium (the scrapyards in particular) because it is within walking distance of the downtown entertainment core. You also won't see major buildings going up in Germantown either, though it will continue to fill up with 5 or 6 story residential blocks any where they can shoehorn them. They are nice though for what they are. The infrastructure of Nashville's interstate rings are too close in to ever develop the kinds of city sized nodes like Atlanta's Buckhead or Perimeter. The River North proposal is a pipedream that hopes to equal the Battery in Manhatten. Not going to happen.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:19 PM

I am so disappointed with the Amazon buildings. This was probably the first golden opportunity for a company to build a 45 to 55 story office tower and they opted for two 20 somethings.... DAMN!!! DAMN!!! DAMN!!! Are the tallest buildings in Nashville going to be residential?

I saw where some people on UP were saying that the two tower complex actually creates more street activity. The Nashville Yards development as a whole is designed to create street activity, so I doubt that Amazon going with two towers is going to enhance that any more. I also don't think Amazon really gave much thought to that as part of their decision. It's not going to be a retail outlet. And, a 45-55 story building can have ground level retail. You see that all over NYC. Not everything needs to be within 15 feet of the curb to create street activity. You can small plazas that create open spaces with fountains and tables that will draw people in as well. Trust me Amazonians will want that... I worked as a contractor for AWS in Herdon, VA (outside of Wash, DC) and they love those out-of-the-cubicle spaces both inside and outside that they can work in. There going to want food trucks parked outside and then be able to walk over to a bench or table to eat. You'll see their employees walking over to 5th & Broad to eat and maybe even work if they can get good secure Wi Fi. Amazon's culture is not driven by time in the office. They are driven by getting the job done.

Anyway, the two 20 story buildings will still have an impact on the west side of the CBD. It just would have been much nicer to have more impact with a 45-55 story building in my opinion. I'm surprised Bezo's ego didn't drive him to want the tallest building in Nashville with Amazon's name at the top.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:53 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
...Are the tallest buildings in Nashville going to be residential?
Yes.

Quote:
...I'm surprised Bezo's ego didn't drive him to want the tallest building in Nashville with Amazon's name at the top.
Wrong line of thinking. His ego drives him to be the wealthiest person on the planet and continue to put separation between himself and #2 (which he is doing). Additionally, he wants to build THE Company to end all companies. He wants Amazon to run the world...be everywhere...control everything. Basically, overtime one turns their head, there is Amazon. And, he's well on his way to achieving that.

Additionally, why do you think the "winners" of Amazon's year-long "search" were those municipalities which threw the most incentive dollars at them? That was the #1 driver in the "search" - who was going to provide Amazon with the most incentives. #2 was obtaining as much intel on cities around North America for free. And they got that. Intel, data, and an understanding on over 230 locations in the U.S. and Canada - worth billions - without spending a dime. Genius.

Amazon (Bezos) is not interested in spending more money than they (he) has to. Thus, they are not going to build tall and over-the-top extravagant. It costs too much. The more money they spend, the less the company is worth and the less Bezos will have in his pocket.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:49 PM

Amazon Seattle: little more than half the height of Seattle"s tallest. Amazon Vancouver: stubby. Amazon NYC: probably not towering. Amazon DC: almost certainly stubby.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 12:12 AM
Future God

Quote:
You could say that about any of area of town. Those areas still happened.

What does Buenos Aires or Paris have to do with developers building structures in Nashville?

Topgolf is already in the immediate area. Ifly is slated to open next year. A hotel tower and apartment building are proposed. So it seem those developers are/were not waiting twenty years.
So your argument is that because the immediate area can support one golf themed bar, it can definitely support a tenant-less multi-million square foot highrise district built from scratch? I don't follow your line of reasoning.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:10 AM

Nashville is, of course, America's 'Music City' and there is a constant stream of news about any Music Industry desiring a presence in the City. The most recent announcement concerns the location of an Apple Music office in a low-rise development in the Wedgewood/Houston District called WeHo. It is a gentrifying part of the city that is adding art galleries, upscale living, parks and the 30,500 seat MLS Soccer Stadium.

From the TENNESSEAN....

Quote:
Apple Music will open a content creation office in the historic May Hosiery complex in Wedgewood-Houston, officials close to the deal said Wednesday.
The music and video streaming service will have 30,000 square-foot offices as well as outdoor event space at the historic factory, which is currently being restored.
The move is part of Apple's strategy to expand its country-music brand. Spotify and Pandora have opened Nashville offices in recent years.
In April, Apple announced that company executive Jay Liepis would move to Nashville to lead a team that will cater to country-music fans.
Its new home will be part of a brick complex of six buildings built at the turn of the 20th century that together have 120,000 square feet of space.
Nashville's growth is not always about any of the 50+ buildings in progress or the numerous high profile corporate relocations. It is also about it's roots as a primary incubator of American music and its status as the 'Third Coast' in the music industry on a level with only New York and Los Angeles.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Dec 13, 2018 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Actually, no you can't say that about any area of Nashville. The history of Nashville shows that there are areas in which major growth will be concentrated first and foremost. Broadway. West End. Music Row. Because they are anchored by our cultural core. Honky-tonk lower Broad, Belmont, Vanderbilt, Centennial Park. Oh, there will be nodes on lesser streets, i.e. 12th S., Belle Meade, Green Hills, but URBAN Nashville will develop on it's historic primary avenues. The other radial Pikes generally have had in the past, a more unseemly reputation which hinders an urban style growth. I speak as a 70 year native Nashvillian. One of the nails in the box forcing the present dense growth is the interstate inner ring, the other is the river. Even though Topgolf and such are indeed a much appreciated improvement, East Nashville, Gallatin Road or Dickerson Pike will never approach the density or heights of Midtown. There is not enough open land in all those old neighborhoods to support it. For example, how many intersections on Ellington Parkway have any worthwhile development in 50 years? Madison hasn't changed much in 50 years either. I know because I tried something similar at Briley and Dickerson 40 years ago (Eurosphere). All that my efforts produced was the zoo. Any real development across the river is going to be adjacent to the stadium (the scrapyards in particular) because it is within walking distance of the downtown entertainment core. You also won't see major buildings going up in Germantown either, though it will continue to fill up with 5 or 6 story residential blocks any where they can shoehorn them. They are nice though for what they are. The infrastructure of Nashville's interstate rings are too close in to ever develop the kinds of city sized nodes like Atlanta's Buckhead or Perimeter. The River North proposal is a pipedream that hopes to equal the Battery in Manhatten. Not going to happen.

I knew someone would do this when I didn't mention specific areas because of time constraints.

I was specifically talking about The Gulch, SoBro, Nashville Yards, Capital View, and Midtown.

Look at how each of those areas have multiple buildings when they didn't have anything years ago.

For 30 years Midtown had only one tower now it will have anywhere from 15 to 17 of them.

The city isn't spending money on infrastructure for the River North area for nothing.

The person who purchased the land and is prepping the land is not doing it for nothing.

The developers behind the hotel and apartment highrises are not developing them for no reason.

Maybe River North doesn't get developed. But then again its in Nashville so more likely than not it will.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
I knew someone would do this when I didn't mention specific areas because of time constraints.

I was specifically talking about The Gulch, SoBro, Nashville Yards, Capital View, and Midtown.

Look at how each of those areas have multiple buildings when they didn't have anything years ago.

For 30 years Midtown had only one tower now it will have anywhere from 15 to 17 of them.

The city isn't spending money on infrastructure for the River North area for nothing.

The person who purchased the land and is prepping the land is not doing it for nothing.

The developers behind the hotel and apartment highrises are not developing them for no reason.

Maybe River North doesn't get developed. But then again its in Nashville so more likely than not it will.
The areas you have indicated have growth because they are, as I stated, within and along the primary paths where growth in Nashville is most likely to occur. River North is NOT in the areas that I feel will have a great deal of growth. Yes, the developers of River North will get projects and in the near future probably, but that growth will come from its proximity to the existing interstate exit, not due to some grand visions of the developers. Sure, Top Golf and most likely hotels for interstate travelers will eventually infill their site. But a whole new highrise core equal or surpassing downtown as depicted in their grandiose renderings? A pedestrian bridge over the river? Get real. If the Gulch connector bridge is having problems getting built, do you really think that a bridge over the Cumberland has a chance? As an architect, I can drum up great renderings of attractive boxy buildings and plaster it in the news. I know because I have done it. But that doesn't mean that it has a chance in Hell of coming to fruition.
Booming growth in the Gulch is mainly because people want to come there. Capitol View is just part of the Gulch growth and not a separate phenomenon.
If it were practical, it would extend through the railroads beyond it as an extension of 11th in the Gulch. I don't know what you refer to a single tower in 30 years in Midtown though. Midtown stretches from the Broadway/ West End split and has plenty of midrise towers all along West End and has for years. There is nothing magical about the fact that new towers are going to be built taller than the existing ones.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
The areas you have indicated have growth because they are, as I stated, within and along the primary paths where growth in Nashville is most likely to occur. River North is NOT in the areas that I feel will have a great deal of growth. Yes, the developers of River North will get projects and in the near future probably, but that growth will come from its proximity to the existing interstate exit, not due to some grand visions of the developers. Sure, Top Golf and most likely hotels for interstate travelers will eventually infill their site. But a whole new highrise core equal or surpassing downtown as depicted in their grandiose renderings? A pedestrian bridge over the river? Get real. If the Gulch connector bridge is having problems getting built, do you really think that a bridge over the Cumberland has a chance? As an architect, I can drum up great renderings of attractive boxy buildings and plaster it in the news. I know because I have done it. But that doesn't mean that it has a chance in Hell of coming to fruition.
Booming growth in the Gulch is mainly because people want to come there. Capitol View is just part of the Gulch growth and not a separate phenomenon.
If it were practical, it would extend through the railroads beyond it as an extension of 11th in the Gulch. I don't know what you refer to a single tower in 30 years in Midtown though. Midtown stretches from the Broadway/ West End split and has plenty of midrise towers all along West End and has for years. There is nothing magical about the fact that new towers are going to be built taller than the existing ones.

Did the guy behind this development fire you?

As long as it gets developed who cares if it doesn't look exactly like the picture. What difference does it make whether the buildings equal or surpass the "core" of downtown?

Leave the miserableness on the other forum.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Did the guy behind this development fire you?

As long as it gets developed who cares if it doesn't look exactly like the picture. What difference does it make whether the buildings equal or surpass the "core" of downtown?

Leave the miserableness on the other forum.
I am not going to be goaded into a pissing contest with you. Your catty remarks are inappropriate and deliberate.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 11:13 PM

8th and Lea mixed use tower

The 8th and Lea mixed use tower proposed for just off the KVB Roundabout in the SoBro District has received design approvals from the City for a 30 story, 320 +/- ft. tall building. No other details were announced regarding construction start. It does, however, seem to be moving toward an impending start.

A rendering was presented (slightly color and contrast enhanced by myself).

PS; The number of units shown may be subject to change also.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I am so disappointed with the Amazon buildings. This was probably the first golden opportunity for a company to build a 45 to 55 story office tower and they opted for two 20 somethings.... DAMN!!! DAMN!!! DAMN!!! Are the tallest buildings in Nashville going to be residential?

I saw where some people on UP were saying that the two tower complex actually creates more street activity. The Nashville Yards development as a whole is designed to create street activity, so I doubt that Amazon going with two towers is going to enhance that any more. I also don't think Amazon really gave much thought to that as part of their decision. It's not going to be a retail outlet. And, a 45-55 story building can have ground level retail. You see that all over NYC. Not everything needs to be within 15 feet of the curb to create street activity. You can small plazas that create open spaces with fountains and tables that will draw people in as well. Trust me Amazonians will want that... I worked as a contractor for AWS in Herdon, VA (outside of Wash, DC) and they love those out-of-the-cubicle spaces both inside and outside that they can work in. There going to want food trucks parked outside and then be able to walk over to a bench or table to eat. You'll see their employees walking over to 5th & Broad to eat and maybe even work if they can get good secure Wi Fi. Amazon's culture is not driven by time in the office. They are driven by getting the job done.

Anyway, the two 20 story buildings will still have an impact on the west side of the CBD. It just would have been much nicer to have more impact with a 45-55 story building in my opinion. I'm surprised Bezo's ego didn't drive him to want the tallest building in Nashville with Amazon's name at the top.
😃 " BE THANKFUL, NASHVILLE!.... Lots of the rest of America, including my struggling Illinois hometown, would love to have not only that Amazon development but just a fraction of your explosive growth.... Just saying."

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 4:19 PM

The 3115 Murphy Road project on the outskirts of the Midtown area has been downsized from a 16 story office to a 14 story residential after some blowback from area residents over concerns about height and traffic. The developers, out of Brentwood Tennessee, are seeking approvals for the new proposal.

It does seem to be a nice compromise to provide a general transition from a mid-rise, mixed use district to a lower density residential area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations