HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Most of the real work is the over passes which is contending with traffic. The rest will come together quickly once the overpasses are complete but for now the road sections and important.
Yeah construction only really got going a year ago. I think a lot has been done since. That being said, I can't see why it can't all be done by next summer.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Spring 2020 they are testing and training drivers for the Transitway.
Ummmm.... Isn't training just driving and obeying regular traffic rules with some signals?! I hope the training isn't extensive, and it's just a one day thing. Otherwise it's a waste of tax dollars.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Ummmm.... Isn't training just driving and obeying regular traffic rules with some signals?! I hope the training isn't extensive, and it's just a one day thing. Otherwise it's a waste of tax dollars.
IIRC from last time, it will be short (maybe half an hour) and only intended to familiarize operators with the route and stations, as well as any specific operating rules.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 10:58 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

61 McGillivray

A new route, say 61 McGillivray, running straight down the sub-expressway between Pembina and the Humpty's Restaurant (or further west) in Oak Bluff, Man., a community in the RM of Macdonald? There are some areas, in the south metro area, that do not get any transit service. Adding a new route would help alleviate traffic congestion on this important roadway.

Places served
  • McGillivray Station
  • Holiday Inn South
  • Safeway Pembina @ McGillivray
  • Kenaston-McGillivray retail
  • Fort Whyte residential
  • McGillivray Park residential in Fort Garry
  • Oak Bluff residential

Last edited by LilZebra; Aug 25, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
A new route, say 61 McGillivray, running straight down the sub-expressway between Pembina and the Humpty's Restaurant (or further west) in Oak Bluff, Man., a community in the RM of Macdonald? There are some areas, in the south metro area, that do not get any transit service. Adding a new route would help alleviate traffic congestion on this important roadway.

Places served
  • McGillivray Station
  • Holiday Inn South
  • Fort Whyte residential
  • Oak Bluff residential
Aside from the fact that most of that route would be outside city limits, I'm not sure there's enough people along most of that route to even make it viable... It would probably be more cost efficient to have a shuttle bus of some kind go out once in the morning and once in the evening

There's a city councillor candidate in the new St Norbert Seine River ward that wants to extend service further south down St Anne's and St Mary's across the perimeter, and that plan runs into the same problem: are there enough people and in close enough proximity to make a new route or route extension feasible? It doesn't seem like it...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:

Places served
  • McGillivray Station
  • Holiday Inn South
  • Fort Whyte residential
  • Oak Bluff residential
This route actually makes a lot of sense as McGillivray is a main arterial into the city, and we all know that Winnipeg is allergic to designing decent arterials. It could even increase ridership with more frequency so long as it's reliable.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:46 PM

Considering this would require some sort of CMA transit body to be created in the Greater Winnipeg Region, meaning the province would have to step in, and they don't really support transit – don't think there's any chance.

I don't see WT finding any viable reason to even consider this on their own accord. They have enough issues to deal with as is. I'd sooner focus on getting these exurban commuters thinking about park & ride then extending transit out there on a whim.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Considering this would require some sort of CMA transit body to be created in the Greater Winnipeg Region, meaning the province would have to step in, and they don't really support transit – don't think there's any chance.

I don't see WT finding any viable reason to even consider this on their own accord. They have enough issues to deal with as is. I'd sooner focus on getting these exurban commuters thinking about park & ride then extending transit out there on a whim.
WT was going to do a route into East St. Paul a number of yeas ago to a park and ride at the Perimeter Hwy and Henderson HWY and that folded before it started. The city had the bus stop signs up (but turned backwards) so I am not sure who pulled the plug on that.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

I doubt this kind of service would be viable even with big subsidies. The selkirk to DT winnipeg daily service shut down a few years ago, and the stretch to selkirk is arguably the densest area outside of perimeter in the CMA. Anyone living in the exurban towns or fringes of Winnipeg are already accustomed to car travel and would be a hard sell for very limited bus service (one or two busses roubd trip per day?)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:41 PM

I think an extension of the Route 41-Henderson Express from Glenway loop to Bird's Hill Road and Garven, via Henderson and Hoddinott, during weekday rush hours could prove to be viable, especially if the express portion of the route was extended as far as Glenway. To and from downtown, it would be every bit as quick as driving.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:48 PM

It needs to be done right though, and that includes clean and properly heated shelters at the major stops for those cold winter mornings. There could even be a fare premium, perhaps an extra dollar or so.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:29 PM
What could go wrong?

WT has a free market study done for a Park n Ride at the Henderson and Kimberly bus stop (an Express stop). The parking lot of the former Safeway located there is basically jam packed every weekday. Proving that without even trying, people would be receptive to Park n Rides at the right express stops.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Aug 27, 2018 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:28 PM

^My mom used to park and ride there 25 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
WT has a free market study done for a Park n Ride at the Henderson and Kimberly bus stop (an Express stop). The parking lot of the former Safeway located there is basically jam packed every weekday. Proving that without even trying, people would be receptive to Park n Rides at the right express stops.
I would venture to guess that the majority parking there live outside city limits, I know a few. So the city should build park n’ rides for all those escaping city taxes at the expense of city taxpayers?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:13 PM

From my family personal experience. It was quicker to drive there, park and catch the bus, than take a route closer to home and transfer. We lived less than 5 minute drive from that location.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:41 PM

So New Flyer just had a huge sale of electric buses to Montreal (30) and Laval (10), yet in the town where the buses are made, governments are putting nothing into these kinds of purchases for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:36 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Aside from the fact that most of that route would be outside city limits, I'm not sure there's enough people along most of that route to even make it viable... It would probably be more cost efficient to have a shuttle bus of some kind go out once in the morning and once in the evening
I'm OK with a once per hour or even as you say, a peak hours only service using a community shuttle type of vehicle (like our HandiTransit vans).

Quote:
There's a city councillor candidate in the new St Norbert Seine River ward that wants to extend service further south down St Anne's and St Mary's across the perimeter, and that plan runs into the same problem: are there enough people and in close enough proximity to make a new route or route extension feasible? It doesn't seem like it...
Coun. Lukes is one of my favourite Couns. Currently she is dealing with all those foreign students (mainly from India) up to the rafters living in rooming houses in Ft. Richmond.

It was nice of her to advocate for separating out the Fort Garry-Fort Richmond Ward from the St. Norbert Ward again.

I see on Sundays from Osborne Station ... both 160 and 170 after ? PM don't even go to St Norbert. I am aware of DART service that takes over at that time.

There should be a Park & Ride drop-off and lot located in St. Norbert really close to Pembina Hwy. or some concentrated "node" in the vicinity.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:18 AM

We should start using airport shuttle-style vans for quiet routes. No need for full busses everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:

Coun. Lukes is one of my favourite Couns.
First time I saw her I thought that woman wants to be the mayor. I'm of no position either way at the moment but I've been waiting 'til she jumps. Doesn't look like it's this time.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
First time I saw her I thought that woman wants to be the mayor. I'm of no position either way at the moment but I've been waiting 'til she jumps. Doesn't look like it's this time.
She's busy dealing with the new Ward boundaries, and from talking to people in the area she's rubbed a lot people the wrong way....
To her credit she has some good ideas for transit in that section of the city. Using the RT stations and the university as "hubs" and then running shorter more frequent routes in the suburbs and St Norbert that would drop riders off at those hubs. This is the one thing I'd like to see transit do across the city is make better use of "hubs"... South St. Vital seems like another ideal location, with St Vital Centre operating as a hub for routes to/from downtown, with transfers to shorter routes for the communities to the south

I know this is off topic, is there a Civic Election 2018 thread? There's one for mayor but I'm not sure if there is a general one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan