HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ritz-Carlton Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 7:45 PM
Windy City Dan

I was looking at the original renderings of this building, and above the cantilever section, those squares that are used throughout the facade, seem to be dark (in the rendering). Almost as if they are the same material used in the spandrels. I curious, has this been VE'd out? Can they "stain" these after the fact (not sure if that's the correct term or even possible). Capped? These would be so less offensive if they were treated in some way, to break up the beige monotony. I'm guessing at this point, it is what it is, which is too bad.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 12:18 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I have a strong desire to paint this bright purple. Then I might be cool with it.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 1:03 AM

i like it. especially with the trees in spring bloom, take a second look at it, curtesy of george.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 6:09 PM
dream fast

5-17

Purple would better tie it together with the Omni Hotel.^

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:15 AM
Ex Houstonian

I think its a pretty good looking building overall, but thats just me.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I think its a pretty good looking building overall, but thats just me.
It's okay. Everyday I look out my window and see the Elysian. I'm starting to like it. (except for the fez hat)

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 7:00 PM

Sunday bikeride. 85 degrees F and sunny

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 5:20 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Construction on this continues, while Waterview decays and the Spire wallows.

There is no God.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post

There is no God.

There is a God.

He just doesn't care about architecture as much as we do.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 12:55 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

5/23

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 2:31 AM

Topped off?

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:02 AM

^ As far as concrete goes, it appears so.

On a bike ride today, I saw some panels en route to the jobsite. Looks like they go on an inside corner either on the SE side or at the back near the car elevators. You don't realize just how massive these things are until your up close. I tend to forget when taking photos way down at street level.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 4:29 PM

May 19

May 27

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:32 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:

There is no God.
Not to start anything, but both Waterview and the Chicago Spire were pretty frivolous endeavors. Chicago has always been and will always be a center of world-class architecture. There will be more projects in the future that are far more financially stable (one can only hope) and also, a few awkward recreations of old construction styles (Ritz, Elysian, etc.) don't even come close to undoing the reputation Chicago has built for decades.

That being said, though I don't care for Elysian's "hat" at all, the style of that tower and the Ritz and other similar towers, well, they aren't the worst thing in the world to me. If anything, they contribute to keeping the skyline extremely textured. I'd get tired of every new tower that goes up being sheathed in blue glass a la Toronto.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:44 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Not to start anything, but both Waterview and the Chicago Spire were pretty frivolous endeavors. Chicago has always been and will always be a center of world-class architecture. There will be more projects in the future that are far more financially stable (one can only hope) and also, a few awkward recreations of old construction styles (Ritz, Elysian, etc.) don't even come close to undoing the reputation Chicago has built for decades.

That being said, though I don't care for Elysian's "hat" at all, the style of that tower and the Ritz and other similar towers, well, they aren't the worst thing in the world to me. If anything, they contribute to keeping the skyline extremely textured. I'd get tired of every new tower that goes up being sheathed in blue glass a la Toronto.
Waterview and the Spire were not to be "sheathed in blue glass." At the very least they were original, which is a helluva lot more than I can say for anything LaGrange has ever done.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:03 PM
ParanoidAndroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post

I reconcile these buildings in the same way though as a Chicagoan, I fear (probably irrationally) that these constitute a trend.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:54 PM
BANNED

^^^ Of course they don't constitute a trend. At least not anymore. Nearly all of the new buildings scheduled to go up in the city are now nice modern designs if not excellent designs. I think we've turned a corner from "throw up schlocky condo boxes" to "make calculated investments in high quality, long term, multifamily investments" which has resulted in more investment in the quality of the projects and subsequently the architecture.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:12 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I wish I felt that were the case. We've been lucky so far, and that may constitute a real movement of the bar, but some developments like AMLI and Lake View Station may start to put some big dents in that trend.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Waterview and the Spire were not to be "sheathed in blue glass." At the very least they were original, which is a helluva lot more than I can say for anything LaGrange has ever done.
Well I'm pretty sure Chicago Spire was an all-glass design, and Waterview had substanstial glass to it as well, but my argument is not about nit-picky details. It's hard to call anyone entirely original anymore, because we live in an age where it seems as though anything goes and everything has been tried. Though I wasn't fond of Chicago Spire design in it's entirety, to its credit, it was an entirely original concept, and the fact that it was actually under construction gives me hope that there are those out there still willing to bank on daring designs. Unfortunately, that one didn't hold water. Another one will though. I try to stay positive and look at everything objectively.

That being said, I'm not a fan nor an enemy of LaGrange's Faux-arts architecture. It's his style, every architect has one and is entitled to one, the same way every forumer here is entitled to their opinion. While I'm rather indifferent to designs like this, they add density to the skyline and, as I said before, created a textured backdrop for the city of Chicago. I wouldn't want to live in a city full of perfect skyscrapers...that's not very interesting at all, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I think we've turned a corner from "throw up schlocky condo boxes" to "make calculated investments in high quality, long term, multifamily investments" which has resulted in more investment in the quality of the projects and subsequently the architecture.
Exactly what I mean, I never doubt that more great designs are around the corner...and with our new economic reality, anything that is proposed now is likely to have much more secure financial backing. At least, one can only hope heh

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:36 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive