HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 6:49 PM
Karma Police

^^
That's B49, not B46. B49 hasn't changed.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 6:53 PM

^I am curious to see the new design for Block 46!

Isn't unheard of to reuse the old design in another location?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 8:40 PM

B49 is affordable (I.E - subsidized) housing by WDD. (typically requiring a budget so tight that it could turn coal into a diamond)

B46 is market rate apartments by Simpson. The renderings that I have seen for both, are better than what is shown above.

The Simpson block is particularly modern.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 10:20 PM

^you can't say more then modern? materials, glassy?...maybe please...

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:18 PM

Last edited by MarkDaMan; May 15, 2007 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:42 PM

Eeesh! Looks boring...

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 4:21 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
That's not 39, that's 49 (again). And those B&W elevations always look terrible.

^^ Nice park, Dougall. Where's that? VanBC?

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:02 PM

It's in toronto, maybe a little more just grass in it would make it perfect

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:23 PM

thanks 65MAX. I noticed I put the wrong block number yesterday and totally spaced changing it before I posted.

That's cool Dougall. I really would like to see them start planning for that park!

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
^you can't say more then modern? materials, glassy?...maybe please...

B49: "semi-quiet" modern. B&W elevations don't come close to doing the building justice. It's affordable housing, built as inexpensively (as is required) as possible, to make it financially feasible. Thankfully there will be affordable down in SOWA. They can't ALL be high-end residences...sheesh. Think Sitka quality, but modern... and you get the idea. Common financial models.

B46: Two more progressive low rise designs and one very progressive modern (almost deconstructivist) design, fronting the rail turn-around. It's always a challenge to do something like that out of wood framing (unconventioanl plans/ meandering walls, etc), and not have an intimidated contractor price it out of reality or have an envelope consultant pepper the design with "No, you cant...that'll definitely leak" comments. That one will be tough to get done perfectly, but good for Simpson in accepting a challenge by AMAA, to try it there. Particularly for apartments. They are really just cash machines for the ultimate owners, and some are mostly interested in that aspect, with as minimal risk as is possible for a 30 million dollar project. Especially the developers that have a corporate model (TCR, etc)

If Simpson thinks they can develop it (and potentially sell it off once done) successfully, great.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:21 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Well, there are some lower-rise Vancouver condos lining the waterfront... right across from Granville Island, for instance.

pic taken by me, 5/8/05
Great pic, Z. You're right, the Strand does look like the foreground buildings here. Now if we can just get some 20-30 story towers on Parcels 3 & 8.....

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:04 PM

A trail to Beaverton? Plan gets green light
Thursday, May 24, 2007
By Fred Leeson
The Oregonian

Someday, Southwest residents -- and anybody else -- will be able to walk or bike along 15 miles of gentle grade between the South Waterfront and Beaverton safe from high-speed traffic.

Making it happen will take many years and maybe $16 million to $17 million. Thanks to a unanimous City Council vote last week approving the route and giving the go-ahead to look for funding, however, the pieces can begin falling into place.

"This is a valuable first step, just knowing where the route is," says Gregg Everhart, a Portland Bureau of Parks & Recreation landscape architect who helped plan the Red Electric trail. The route in large part follows the path of an electrified rail line Southern Pacific abandoned in 1930. Parts of the old right of way became public streets; some fell into private ownership.

Railway engineers found the gentlest grades when they started laying tracks in the 19th century. Don Baack, a veteran Southwest trails enthusiast, says other potential east-west routes are too hilly for comfortable biking and walking.

When finished, the trail should provide safe access along a corridor connecting parks, schools, community centers and churches. Since it will connect to the Fanno Creek trail system in Washington County, walkers and bikers could proceed as far as Tualatin.

"This section really makes Southwest Portland and the South Waterfront connect to the rest of the region," says Mel Hui, a Metro regional trails planner.

"People in the city and the Southwest are ready to walk and ready to bike," says Commissioner Dan Saltzman, who oversees the Parks Bureau. "This is going to be a great addition to Southwest Portland."

Planning the route was not quick or smooth. Planners met for years with residents along the route, many of whom were concerned about litter, noise, homeless campers and the risk of depressed property values.

"In typical Portland style, Parks beat this to death and then wrote an excellent report," says Lillie Fitzpatrick, chairwoman of the Hayhurst Neighborhood Association. Fitzpatrick, who presided over several contentious neighborhood meetings, says she is convinced trail supporters outnumber opponents. No one voiced objections at the City Council hearing.

Chris Hathaway, another Hayhurst resident, says evidence from other urban trails shows no increase in crime and indicates that being close to a trail improves property values. "Trails are a valuable amenity for any neighborhood," he says.

"Trail" conjures an image of a meandering path through a forest. The Red Electric will include some natural areas but also will traverse low-traffic city streets and use sidewalks where available. Painted street lines and signs will indicate routes along much of the way.

In an 11th-hour change, the Parks Bureau decided to avoid Southwest Capitol Highway in the busy Hillsdale area. Instead, the trail would use Southwest Vermont Street, taking pedestrians to an existing trail through George Himes Park while bicyclists travel on Southwest Nebraska Street.

Access to privately owned portions will have to be achieved by purchase or easement. Hui says some money for trail sections might be available from a 2006 Metro bond measure for buying open space from willing sellers. He says Metro would not use condemnation to force any sales.

"The next step," Saltzman says, "is piecing together the funding to make this work."

Portland News: 503-221-8199; portland@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...790.xml&coll=7

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 3:59 PM

hmmm, it seems they are still interested in buying already built projects instead of building new...but their continued interest in Portland's market I guess is a good sign.

California real estate firm sets an apartment record

Portland Business Journal - May 25, 2007
by Wendy Culverwell
Business Journal staff writer

A California firm has reportedly broken its own record with the purchase of the 10th @ Hoyt apartments in the Pearl District.

Trammell Crow Residential opened the 178-unit luxury apartment building at 925 N.W. Hoyt St. in the Pearl District in 2004. It apparently sold an interest in the full-block property, which includes retail space and an underground parking garage, to Prometheus Real Estate Group of San Mateo, Calif.

The price hasn't been recorded, but is rumored to exceed $300,000 per unit, well above the previous record, also held by Prometheus. In late December, Prometheus purchased the 156-unit City Heights complex in downtown Portland, for $39.7 million, or more than $254,000 per unit. Like the 10th @ Hoyt complex, City View consists of retail space at ground level with apartments on the floors above.

Officials from neither Trammell Crow Residential nor Prometheus would comment on the sale. However, Prometheus recently added 10th @ Hoyt to the list of residential properties it publishes on its Web site.

At $300,000 per unit -- and likely more -- 10th @ Hoyt would hold the current title for highest price paid per unit for apartment property in Portland. The record isn't likely to hold.

The Louisa apartments, which opened after 10th @ Hoyt, is for sale along with the rest of Gerding Edlen Development Co.'s signature project, the Brewery Blocks. Apartment watchers expect The Louisa will eclipse 10th @ Hoyt when it sells.

Prometheus is a private company with an extensive network of apartment properties across the West and a handful of nonresidential holdings concentrated in the Bay Area.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 11:33 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Prometheus the company that started the whole south waterfront? By that, I mean, they wanted to go in and build a gated community so the city jumped in, platted the whole thing, and essentially said no, hence the beginning of the planning for what we now have. I believe they tried to sue the city and lost. Maybe I've got the name wrong.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 3:23 PM

^from my understanding, I think you are pretty much correct.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 10:46 PM

block 46: 2 seperate buildings, 5 stories each, 275 apartments, 9 live/work units, 2 floors of underground parking
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...157756&c=42263

block 49: 6 stories, 210 units, ground floor retail, 143 below grade parking sports, 50 ground level parking spots (for old spaghetti factory)
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...156973&c=42263

edit: and portland has the banner over at ssc at least for now www.skyscrapercity.com

Last edited by Dougall5505; Jun 6, 2007 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:52 PM

^I'll save my criticism for better renderings, but it appears the Pearl has found its way on the streetcar the the South Waterfront...at least for those two blocks...maybe something positive will come from the Block 46 odd shapped building...but otherwise it's boring and somewhat out of scale compared to the giants nearby

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:52 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^
Block 49 = 210 affordable apartments
Block 46 = 275 apartments

I think that these projects will have excellent urban presence - creating a street wall, which the towers going up don't really do - the average tower going up in SOWA doesn't actually have that high of an FAR.

By comparison, the Atwater will only have 212 units... and is considerably taller. If you want affordability, lowrise is the way to go. I'm assuming that they will still make them modern-looking buildings, not influenced by historic buildings in the Pearl, like your post seems to imply...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:28 PM

Lets hope this is the last of these small buildings down there...i know its affordable housing but still, 5 and 6 stories? come on, atleast get in to the double digits. Sowa should have a minimum height limit IMO not that would ever happen

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:33 PM

I'm more for a variety of building sizes... I'm more worried about the flat skyline effect of the row of 250' towers in front of a row of 325' towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland