Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
That is one scary view.
I was think that maybe they should enclose it with glass and open it up to the public. It can't be any more scarier than that ledge at the Sears (Willis) Tower. As is, pretty terrifying. But behind glass it would be another added attraction at the ESB.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I was think that maybe they should enclose it with glass and open it up to the public. It can't be any more scarier than that ledge at the Sears (Willis) Tower. As is, pretty terrifying. But behind glass it would be another added attraction at the ESB.
Interesting idea. I could see it happening once 1 WTC opens up and lures some of the visitors away. Most tourists will probably only visit a single deck, but there's also people like us who will visit all of them - and with the ESB I like to pay for all of the bells and whistles (i.e. the 102nd floor). That being said, Top of the Rock is the best for now.

I remember some rumors of SOM adding the Sears Tower ledges to 1 WTC. While it may bring tourists, I think that idea is somewhat... macabre given the history of the site.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 3:44 PM
New Yorker for life

^ They should do that for one of the other towers, like Tower 3. Spread the love around...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 12:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:44 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 1:29 AM

Quote:
^ They should do that for one of the other towers, like Tower 3. Spread the love around...
I say put a roofdeck on 3 or 4 as well, but it'll never happen since the mechanicals are on the top now. Oh well.

Anyway, veering off topic. The current iteration of the ESB Observatory kinda stinks. No concessions or anything. John Hancock in Chicago and the old WTC have the experience down the best, I think. Places to eat, drink, relax... you can spend a whole day up there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Anyway, veering off topic. The current iteration of the ESB Observatory kinda stinks. No concessions or anything. John Hancock in Chicago and the old WTC have the experience down the best, I think. Places to eat, drink, relax... you can spend a whole day up there.
Maybe its the limited space up there. With the large crowds, I'm sure they would make money. You'd probably want a snack after spenind a couple of hours in line...

I personally never did though.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
don't *meddle*...

lol, i was standing in line once for like two hours (it was holiday season), so a snack and a cool drink wouldn't have hurt.
btw i'm thinking ... we have the top of the rock to see the ESB so close, but we won't have a nearby observation deck to look at 1WTC... if they only could re-open the AIG obs. deck!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 1:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Even the top of the Eiffel Tower (a very small space indeed) has snacks...and a champagne bar. The top of the Tokyo tower is also small but has food.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 2:51 PM

Am I incorrect in thinking that the interior portion of the main-ESB observatory used to have concessions?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 11:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 3:10 AM
Community Guy

My little tribute wall to this beauty

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 12:21 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 11:55 AM
don't *meddle*...

Last edited by hunser; Oct 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
My little tribute wall to this beauty

That last sketch reminds me of drawings I used to do all the time...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I just love these b&w shots of NYC of yesteryear. Esp. the downtown skyline of the 1930s/1940s (city of spires)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 9:02 PM
Community Guy

I had the pleasure of sitting alone in on the 102th a yr and a half ago during a cloudy rainy thursday in April for about 15mins. The elevator guy said he did not recall the last time only 1(tourist) person was up there.

It was one of the most intense moments in my life sitting in/above the partially cloudy storm reflecting on life.

Sadly I was unable to bribe him to take me to the 104th.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 12:09 AM
New Yorker for life

From the 15 Penn Plaza thread, some info on a possible new antenna...

http://www.rwonline.com/article/107530

Quote:
Empire, Durst Facilities Grew After 9/11

New York City’s broadcast communications infrastructure was altered dramatically following the terrorism attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Dozens of radio and television broadcasters that lost facilities when the twin towers collapsed scrambled to find vertical real estate alternatives.

Since then, Empire’s rooftop facilities have grown to include nearly every radio and television broadcaster in the city. There remains talk among market observers of a rebuild of the master FM antenna at Empire.

“That antenna was not designed originally for that many radio stations. Then you add all of the primary television antennae, which sit on top of the master FM, and it’s likely you need a new tower,” said one broadcast engineer familiar with the facilities.

“Talks are getting a little more serious now. It’s down to the financial issue of who will pay for what.”

The Durst Organization completed a broadcast antenna project atop the Condé Nast Building at 4 Times Square in midtown Manhattan in 2004. That site is used primarily as an auxiliary platform for radio broadcasters and some television stations. Durst officials, like those at Empire, declined comment for this story.

The One World Trade Center project in lower Manhattan, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, is ongoing and could be completed during 2012. The Metropolitan Television Alliance, a coalition of a dozen television stations in New York City area displaced in the collapse of World Trade Center twin towers, had said its members intended to use several of the top floors of One World Trade Center for broadcast and antenna facilities.

However, plans for a rooftop television antenna project there have never been finalized, according to observers.

— Randy J. Stine

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Still the best.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 3:48 PM
don't *meddle*...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture