HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Looks like Mellow Mushroom is moving to Oak Street. Will be interesting to see this kind of place on a neighborhood retail street.[/url]
Mellow Mushroom's location in downtown Savannah is probably a good model here; they've done a good job of integrating into a historic building in an urban area. Same in Auburn. The suburban standalone locations are kind of weird for those of us who spent our college years on the stuff!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:49 PM

CVS & Loyola

Here's a pic of CVS at Napoleon @ Claiborne. Sorry took it from the car while on the move, but it gets the point across. Turned out nicely in my opinion:

And here's a picture of the crane and start of construction on the expansion and renovations to Monroe Hall (Loyola) and isn't there going to be a whole new building there too?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:25 PM

NBA All-Star Game / Hornets

2014 NBA All Star Game will be awarded to NOLA today! This continues the string of major events in NOLA, and the positive national exposure! Plus the article mentions the two-off-season renovations to the Arena for which "Architectural teams are still working on design plans for Arena modifications, aimed at helping the Hornets to generate additional revenues on their own to alleviate the state's burden of providing financial subsidies."

Plus, several articles mention Tom Benson wanting to rename/rebrand the Hornets to give them a more local name.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:07 PM

So I'm really glad the CVS at Napoleon and Claiborne is there now, especially because it's right by my house, but I feel like they could have done it a bit better. They pulled a Walgreen's and essentially ignored the sidewalk. To access the building from Napoleon as a pedestrian, you pretty much have to walk through the driveway because of that fencing. And it kind of says to me, "we're a really nice establishment in a crappy place, so we're protecting ourselves from you." (Or maybe I'm just paranoid and read too much into it) They also installed these bright fluorescent lights at the top that shine out from the building. It would look okay if it weren't right at the entrance to a neighborhood and other buildings nearby weren't much more subdued.

I'll end my rant now. It's pretty good-looking construction, especially for a big-chain pharmacy, so I'm not gonna go on a NIMBY rampage or anything. I'm just glad something was finally done with that corner.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Gosh Monroe is one ugly building. Are they renovating Monroe or tearing it down?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Gosh Monroe is one ugly building. Are they renovating Monroe or tearing it down?
They are completely gutting and redoing it, as well as expanding three floors upward!!

Pictures can be found here: http://www.hollyandsmith.com/portfol...-and-additions

Also, City Hall is asking New Orleans residents for their views on where dog parks and dog runs should be opened in the city. An online survey is available at www.surveymonkey.com/s/2VZC2L7.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...residents.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
They are completely gutting and redoing it, as well as expanding three floors upward!!

Pictures can be found here: http://www.hollyandsmith.com/portfol...-and-additions[/URL]
Wow that is an amazing upgrade to Monroe. Has work on the Tom Benson Jesuit Center began yet?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Pictures can be found here: http://www.hollyandsmith.com/portfol...-and-additions

Much Improved! Seems like an extremely complicated renovation.

6300 TCHOUPITOULAS ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70118
Job Value($):
$500,000.00
Project Description:
REPAIRS AND IMPROVEMENTS TO AVENGER PLAYGROUND AS PER PLANS.

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:08 PM

Phillis Wheatley Elementary School

I was just browsing the architect's website and came across the new drawings for the Phillis Wheatley Elementary School in the Treme. After all the bit@#!ng I did when they tore down the old, modernist school, I take it all back. The new school looks amazing!

http://www.hollyandsmith.com/portfol...ley-elementary

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:01 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
2014 NBA All Star Game will be awarded to NOLA today! This continues the string of major events in NOLA, and the positive national exposure! Plus the article mentions the two-off-season renovations to the Arena for which "Architectural teams are still working on design plans for Arena modifications, aimed at helping the Hornets to generate additional revenues on their own to alleviate the state's burden of providing financial subsidies."

Plus, several articles mention Tom Benson wanting to rename/rebrand the Hornets to give them a more local name.

Great news for NOLA. Super Bowl in 2013, Womens Final Fours in 2013, and now the NBA All-Star Game in 2014. New Orleans is on a roll.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:17 AM

Holly & Smith is a great firm. I really like their work. That will be a nice school...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:17 AM
TL;DR

Opposition grows to the Tulane football stadium:

http://saveourneighborhoods.me/

Personally I'm in favor so long as they put in a stoplight at Ben Weiner/Calhoun. I've personally seen pedestrians and cyclists get struck by cars there - many students need to cross Claiborne to get to the businesses across the way.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:40 PM

Hornets

Benson wants to change the name of the Hornets to something more NOLA-ish and also wants to build a practice facility.

I'm down for both! I had no idea they practiced at the Alario Center...that sucks.

Bring them back in city limits, i hope!

No word on locations other than they are currently "scouting multiple locations in the metro area."

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/basketba...147580715.html

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:03 PM

Bayou St. John water control structure

AWESOME NEWS!!!!

I heard they were going to consider the idea of removing the structure awhile back, but now they actually are going to remove it!

That's great! Better flow of water into the Bayou, returning it to a more natural state, better flow into City Park lagoons, and the return of fish!!!

Sweet!! This has no flood implications since there is flood control gates at the end of the canal.

http://www.nola.com/environment/inde...n_on_remo.html

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:27 PM

Quote:
AWESOME NEWS!!!!

I heard they were going to consider the idea of removing the structure awhile back, but now they actually are going to remove it!

That's great! Better flow of water into the Bayou, returning it to a more natural state, better flow into City Park lagoons, and the return of fish!!!

Sweet!! This has no flood implications since there is flood control gates at the end of the canal.

http://www.nola.com/environment/inde...n_on_remo.html
This is great news!! Here is a video about what they are specifically going to do: http://www.abc26.com/news/newswithat...0,137786.story.

In addition to removing the locks, they will dredge underneath the bridge @ Lakeshore Drive. If you read the Bayou St. John masterplan at City Park's website, this is like their dream come true.

My dream come true, would be to use the dredge material to place a couple of small manmade islands in the widest part of the bayou with a couple trees and tall grasses. It would be an oasis for the birds and a fertile fish breeding grounds.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:55 PM

Dredging

That's great that they're going to dredge under lakeshore drive!

I rode my bike across that bridge once, looked down, and the water only appeared to be 1 foot or so deep. I know I was looking straight down, but it looked very, very shallow.

Do they usually leave the flood control stucture open that's up on the lakefront? I'd love to have ingress/egress on my kayak!!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
That's great that they're going to dredge under lakeshore drive!

I rode my bike across that bridge once, looked down, and the water only appeared to be 1 foot or so deep. I know I was looking straight down, but it looked very, very shallow.

Do they usually leave the flood control stucture open that's up on the lakefront? I'd love to have ingress/egress on my kayak!!
It is only a foot or two deep. Over time, the lake has pushed sediment higher and higher in that narrow passageway, so the dredging is sorely needed to improve waterflow.

As far as the floodgates, they have remained closed since practically the day they were built. Because the old flood control structure remained in place blocking the flow of water, it was always a moot point to open them. Now the contention is between the Eastbank Flood Control Authorty, the New Orleans Sewerage & Water Board, and City Park over which entity will control the gates.

City Park wants them open 24/7 except for hurricanes or a severe drought (because the higher salt water in the lake isn't good for the bayou). The other two agencies don't want to be in charge of being responsible of opening/closing the gates, but they also don't want to put the city's safety in the hands of City Park officials.

So someone go to the meeting tonight and see what they say. I'd go but unfortunately I'm out of town.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:51 PM
-

Quote:
Benson wants to change the name of the Hornets to something more NOLA-ish and also wants to build a practice facility.

I'm down for both! I had no idea they practiced at the Alario Center...that sucks.

Bring them back in city limits, i hope!

No word on locations other than they are currently "scouting multiple locations in the metro area."

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/basketba...147580715.html
There is enough space on the Saints campus in Metairie wouldnt be surprised if it was there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:38 PM
TL;DR

Maybe I'm confused, but how does allowing lake water into Bayou St John bring back fish and vegetation? The lake is already dead because its water is too salty for many native species.

It would be nice to create a few more Demourelles Islands though. The city could sell off the real estate and use the proceeds to fund parks or wetland restoration.

In other news, I finally got out to Pontchartrain Beach... Which is great, but it needs to be at least three times that big! The scary crumbling jetty needs to be rebuilt too...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Maybe I'm confused, but how does allowing lake water into Bayou St John bring back fish and vegetation? The lake is already dead because its water is too salty for many native species
Long story short: The lake is naturally brackish (mostly fresh, a litle saliniy), and native plants, fish, crabs, and clams reproduce when this is the case (then birds indirectly, because they love eating all of those). A big part of the lake has too much salt water AND not enough oxygen in the water because of the man-made Industrial Canal, so there is a dead zone right there, otherwise on any given day it's pretty good.

The lake has the perfect mixture of water/salt to kill off invasive fresh-water species living in the bayou (that you threw into it from your fishtank), as well as help put more oxygen into the bayou water (because the lake is choppy it generally has more oxygen than a stagnant bayou), and the native fish/plants that need a little salt and oxygen to breed will begin to thrive. Many of these native species of fish can't reproduce in totally fresh water, so they have to be restocked yearly.

Here's the masterplan if you have time to read it: http://neworleanscitypark.com/downloads/BayouPlan.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations