HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

View Poll Results: Halifax forumer or are outside looking in?
I live in and/or rep Halifax 92 80.70%
I am from elsewhere and visit this forum 22 19.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 11:21 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Born in London, England.
Junior High, High School, University in Halifax.
Live in Toronto.
So are you going to be more active around the Halifax forum isaidso? I see that you're already quite active in the Canada section.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 1:41 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Greetings! I live in Dartmouth and work in Downtown Halifax. I wish to contribute to the forum by taking pictures. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything you would like to see. I will try my best. Thank you.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:36 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
Greetings! I live in Dartmouth and work in Downtown Halifax. I wish to contribute to the forum by taking pictures. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything you would like to see. I will try my best. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. I would like to see pictures of the Keith's Hall renovations.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:45 PM

Long time lurker

I've been following this site for years now
Halifax born, Toronto raised, Had business in Halifax 78 to 87, South Florida for 17 years, Back in Halifax 8 years.
In favor of development and growth.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:37 PM

Long time follower of this website....Just wondering what everyone's career/education background is...anyone feel free to tell a little more about themselves? Might help in understanding where everyone's perspective on certain topics may come from.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:47 PM

Welcome Ilovehalifax and CG91.
To answer your question CG91 - I have a BA in Geography and I'm an urban planner out west.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 2:01 PM

I just realized I never intro'd myself about 100 posts in it should be time

I am an IT Manger at a firm in Burnside, grew up in Woodlawn and other parts of Dartmouth
Went to Uni in Southern Ontario and then settled back down here first in the South End and then finally buying and setting roots in the West End

I always say about Halifax when talking about it to others

It's advantage is that it so far away from another city bigger but it's disadvantage is the very same thing

with my job I get to travel a bit and I like to see what other places have that we can steal for our own ideas

always been fascinated by the opening and closure of stores, the placement, the design
and even the utter failure of chains like Dunkin Donuts when they entered the HRM market

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 10:43 AM

Halifax Born and raised. Lived there until I was 28, moved away for a short 1.75 stint in Fredericton, moved back for another 1.5 years, and then moved to Toronto, where I've been since 2008.

I watch the forums regularly to see what's been going on since I've been away. It seems when I first started moving out in 2005 things were just getting interesting.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 6:03 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Wow, I can't believe today is my 10 year anniversary and I still haven't officially introduced myself!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 10:27 PM

Happy anniversary!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 11:12 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Happy Anniversary!!!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:37 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Thank you! It just seems like yesterday that I was having my 5th lol.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:53 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Good Morning,

I am not new to this forum, but I have just gotten back into an outside sales role after years of being tied to a desk. I'm old school so still have photobucket. What are you normal forumers using to host and share images here?? I expect to be able to contribute visually again much like I used to back in the earlier 2000's.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Good Morning,

I am not new to this forum, but I have just gotten back into an outside sales role after years of being tied to a desk. I'm old school so still have photobucket. What are you normal forumers using to host and share images here?? I expect to be able to contribute visually again much like I used to back in the earlier 2000's.
Hi Jstaleness, welcome back!

I use Flickr, which seems quite easy. You can upload your photos to your Flickr photostream simply by dragging the file from your source folder and clicking the Upload button. Then when you are in your image in Flickr you can click on the "Share photo" icon. Under the BB Code tab you can select the size you want, copy the code that appears and post in into your forum text. (Just keep the portion of the code bracketed by [img]...[/img] and delete the rest.) If others have better advice, I'll be happy to see it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:41 PM

I don't maintain an online photo album, so I usually just use imgur... (https://imgur.com/).

It's easy to use, just click on the "New Post" rectangle in the upper left, and it will open a window onto which you can drag photos. Once uploaded, you run the mouse cursor over the photo and in the upper right there's a square with "..." on it. Run the mouse over that and then click on "Get Share Links". You can copy/paste the BBcode directly into your post and the photo will display.

The only downside of not keeping an online photo album, is that unless you save the address of your pic, you will probably have to go through the process again (or copy/paste the photo location from your previous forum post) if you want to post it elsewhere.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Hi Jstaleness, welcome back!

I use Flickr, which seems quite easy. You can upload your photos to your Flickr photostream simply by dragging the file from your source folder. Then when you are in your image in Flickr you can click on the "Share photo" icon. Under the BB Code tab you can select the size you want, copy the code that appears and post in into your forum text. (Just keep the portion of the code bracketed by [img]...[/img] and delete the rest.) If others have better advice, I'll be happy to see it.
Welcome from me too!

On Flickr, I have an account there but they are no longer owned by Yahoo and the new owners seem to be changing things. They apparently reduced the amount of storage offered by a free account, but more importantly changed the community guidelines. I happened to be reading those last week and was surprised to discover this:

https://www.flickr.com/help/guidelines

Here's the most important part for me:

Quote:
Flickr accounts are intended for members to share original photos and video that they themselves have created.

These Community Guidelines are here to help you understand what it means to be a member of Flickr. Don't forget that your use of Flickr is subject to these Community Guidelines and our Terms of Service.

Things to do

Only upload content that you have created.

Link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere.

Things not to do

Here's the deal: We like to give second chances. However, when we discover you stepping across any of the lines listed below, we will take action, which may mean deleting your account with or without warning.

Don't upload collections of photos that aren’t yours.

This includes other people's photos, video, and/or stuff you've copied or collected from around the Internet. Accounts that consist of such collections may be deleted at any time.

Whether or not they are enforcing these I don't know, but that makes it much less attractive for purposes like this.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I started off with Photobucket until they imploded, then moved to Flickr.

Flickr's functionality has suffered since Yahoo sold it. I was not aware of the restrictions on what you can host on the service that you mentioned. I have had no difficulty with them (yet), but since a large part of what I put on Flickr are screen captures of planning documents, I could certainly be at risk.

I wonder if those restrictions apply to a paid Flickr subscription, or just to the free account? I don't currently have enough content on their service to justify a paid account, and likely won't for another couple of years, but it makes me wonder if I should upgrade..........

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I started off with Photobucket until they imploded, then moved to Flickr.

Flickr's functionality has suffered since Yahoo sold it. I was not aware of the restrictions on what you can host on the service that you mentioned. I have had no difficulty with them (yet), but since a large part of what I put on Flickr are screen captures of planning documents, I could certainly be at risk.

I wonder if those restrictions apply to a paid Flickr subscription, or just to the free account? I don't currently have enough content on their service to justify a paid account, and likely won't for another couple of years, but it makes me wonder if I should upgrade..........
Hmmm... if you take a photo of your computer screen that happens to have a planning document on it, it's still your original photo, isn't it?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:10 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hmmm... if you take a photo of your computer screen that happens to have a planning document on it, it's still your original photo, isn't it?
One would have to agree.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:44 PM

I was using Flickr but have slowed down on the pics because with the new ownership I have already maxed out my storage on there. I don't want to delete old pics cause then the links become inactive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General