HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 1:37 PM

Nova Scotia hitting harder times?

Nova Scotia appears to be loosing jobs left and right. Larsens in Berwick, Molson Breweries, Westville Sawmill and Bell laying off hundreds.

Most of these businesses are moving elsewhere (Larsens shifting the Berwick operation to their Moncton plant, Molson's moving some of it's line to Ont. Que. and NFLD.)

Links: Brewer announces layoffs, Haligonians outraged

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1213587.html

Quote:
AS NEWS OF LAYOFFS at three Nova Scotia businesses spread Tuesday, Premier Darrell Dexter unveiled a new jobs strategy that will see the province invest an extra $20 million in each of the next three years.

The strategy, called jobsHere, will focus on economic growth through innovation, helping businesses become more competitive, and giving people the chance to learn the skills needed for good jobs.

» SEE ALSO: Bell Aliant cuts 100 managers
» Labatt to brew some Keith’s outside N.S.; 40 jobs lost
» Westville sawmill lays off 40 workers

Critics said a glaring omission was lessening the province’s tax burden, which they said makes Nova Scotia less attractive than other provinces.

Dexter said the economic status quo must change in the province, which has an aging and declining population and could have 20,000 fewer workers by 2014.

He also said Nova Scotia has had the lowest economic growth in the country over the past 20 years.

"We want to get past the situation where we’re simply responding to businesses that come to government and say, ‘This is my plan’ or ‘This is what I would like to do,’ " he said, after releasing the jobsHere strategy at the Nova Scotia Community College’s Dartmouth waterfront campus.

"We want to be out with these companies saying, ‘How can we help you with new innovation, how can we help you with new competitiveness measures, how can we help your employees improve their skills and thereby help improve your competitiveness?’ "

In total, the province plans to spend $200 million on the strategy, with $60 million in new money and $140 million redirected from current economic development initiatives.

The plan calls for several new funds, including one for innovation and competitiveness. It’s designed to help small and medium-size businesses adopt technology and encourage mentoring between companies.

Two other funds will help firms with international business opportunities, and there will be a clean technology fund for growing clean technology companies.

The jobsHere strategy also calls for doubling the number of immigrants to 7,200 a year by 2020 and expanding the recognition of foreign credentials.

Dexter said his government will roll out details of programs in the strategy in the coming weeks.

The government released the document amid news that about 40 people will be laid off at the Group Savoie sawmill in Westville, up to 40 people will lose their jobs at Labatt’s Halifax brewery and 100 Bell Aliant managers in six provinces, including Nova Scotia, will be laid off.

Last edited by Canadian_Bacon; Nov 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:27 PM

Larsons from what I can see is consolidating there operations adding a dozen or so jobs to the Moncton plant. The Moncton plant being the larger one makes sense I guess. As for Keiths as its market share grows across the country I guess it was only a matter of time before they started brewing it in other provinces...sucks and I am not happy about it but you would have to think it was going to happen at some point.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:28 PM
Closed account

BellAliant (Aliant, really) has been steadily shrinking since the 90s, so I don't see this round of layoffs as any kind of surprise. There will be more in the future.

Keith's makes sense from a business standpoint, I just have a profound disagreement with them continuing their "Pride of Nova Scotia" branding when the majority of the beer will no longer be made here. Our flag is in the frigging logo for crying out loud. Seems like they're setting up for an eventual shutdown of the entire brewery here.

I haven't bought Keith's in years anyway, but i'm more than happy to jump on the boycott bandwagon.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 5:31 PM

When I worked for Aliant many years ago; I remember working in the Scotia Square call centre and it was packed with people; always busy.
I've got friends who still work there and they say the place is getting emptier and emptier and that many of the old work stations have been converted to offices. That's sad because for a call centre space, it was pretty kewl.

Keiths has been brewing "Nova Scotia's beer" in BC for a while, from what I'm told. I think Nova Scotia is seeing a delayed reaction to the economy; businesses tried to stay but now they just can't because governments are raising taxes. I suspect that we'll see a similar situation in New Brunswick when they table their budget and try to prevent a 1 Billion $ defecit (which is astounding).

I don't see the economic situation for Nova Scotia as hugely negative because if NB is in such dire straits, I see opportunity here. Yes, keep the HST at 15% to get the province back in the black and then slowly reduce it. If the province makes it back into the black in 2012; they should reduce corporate taxes and start trying to attract business from NB. Then reduce personal taxes and the HST, keeping the budget in the black.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 6:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I tend to ignore layoff or hiring announcements and just look at hard data for employment and labour force size.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I tend to ignore layoff or hiring announcements and just look at hard data for employment and labour force size.
good point

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Nova Scotia appears to be loosing jobs left and right. Larsens in Berwick, Molson Breweries, Westville Sawmill and Bell laying off hundreds.

Most of these businesses are moving elsewhere (Larsens shifting the Berwick operation to their Moncton plant, Molson's moving some of it's line to Ont. Que. and NFLD.)

It's not Molson; it's Labatt.

What all these companies fail to take into account is the impact such announcements have on consumer perceptions. The backlash to the Labatt move in particular has been extremely negative.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 12:42 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's not Molson; it's Labatt.

What all these companies fail to take into account is the impact such announcements have on consumer perceptions. The backlash to the Labatt move in particular has been extremely negative.
Agreed. My friends in Molson marketing had their best week of their work lives. Labatt has what, 78% share in Nova Scotia because of Keith's? This will give Molson that wedge they need to bring it down to 45% like the rest of the country.

Can't say it is a dumb move, as 75% of a market of 875K people is not a big deal, but what I wonder about is that Keith's is a premium "import priced" beer in Toronto, if they brew it locally will it be just another domestic? How will the sales trend, up or down, when expat atlantic Canadian's know it was brewed in Oshawa or wherever?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 3:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Coincidentally, Allnovascotia ran a piece today about some economic statistics for NS.

For the 12 month period ending September 30, 2010, average weekly earnings were up 3.2% over last year. Non-farm jobs in NS were up 2.7% year over year. I know less about historical NS stats but Halifax income and job growth has been very good over the past few years.

The job losses at the Oland brewery are unfortunate for those workers but there are a handful of local breweries in Halifax. They're better for the local economy and they make better beer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 12:42 PM
Fizzix geek

which of course is an excellent example of exactly the point you made in your post before that.

Certainly this is a better indicator, but just less news-flashy, than job layoffs.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 3:15 PM

Nova Scotia

I am looking to invest in Nova Scotia in proposed development by Terra Firma Development Corporation http://www.tfdc.ca/ based in Halifax.

Terra Firma Development Corporation apparently owns 1000 + acres of land on which they plan to build an entire development including golf course and other recreational activities. The company claims that the land is rezoned for development and company is currently seeking a planning permission.

I am keen to invest in a parcel of land which is less than half an acre priced at £2000 sterling. But need to know the following:

How well do you know this company? Is it reputable?

Does such land exists in the first place?

Is the development project promoted in Canada or locally? (doesn’t seem like it) It seems that the client market is UK only.

I think if genuine it would be really good boost for the economy of Nova Scotia as it will help to create many jobs and at the same time attract businesses and investments.

There is a UK based company Landcorp International http://www.landcorpinternational.com promoting and working on behalf of the development Company. The land which will be sold off to buyers will be bought back, should the buyer wish to sell. The company’s financial agents Citadel Trustees (UK based) will form a company which deals with the developers, the charge of the company will be given to the buyers. I am assured by Citadel Trustees that the interest of the Buyers would be protected at all times,

I would really welcome advice, suggestions etc.

Thank you

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:52 PM

Never heard of them, never heard of the project. Their website is pretty sketchy as to location. Basically, it does not provide any information at all other than to say it is somewhere in Nova Scotia. Any time I see a golf course proposal here I get nervous. It is difficult to make money on golf here because of the short season. Most golf courses here lose money, at least ones that are designed by a reputable architect and built and maintained to a good standard. These people are throwing around the Nicklaus design name and that is always a red flag. They have not done much work here and are very pricey.

I would be extremely cautious.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Never heard of them, never heard of the project. Their website is pretty sketchy as to location. Basically, it does not provide any information at all other than to say it is somewhere in Nova Scotia. Any time I see a golf course proposal here I get nervous. It is difficult to make money on golf here because of the short season. Most golf courses here lose money, at least ones that are designed by a reputable architect and built and maintained to a good standard. These people are throwing around the Nicklaus design name and that is always a red flag. They have not done much work here and are very pricey.

I would be extremely cautious.
Nicklaus seems to actually be on board.

http://www.nicklaus.com/design/forestlakes/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:41 PM
we built this city

I know that Nicklaus is involved in alot of course design... the course in Whistler, BC is called Nicklaus North.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 1:42 PM

In reference to comments above...

Luxury resort approved

Published on July 13, 2011
Carole Morris-Underhill / Hants Journal

Development of a state-of-the-art golf resort in the Ardoise area has received the green light from council.

Following a public hearing July 12, West Hants council unanimously approved a development agreement to allow Terra Firma Development Corporation Ltd. to continue with its proposed Forest Lakes Country Club Resort.
Warden Richard Dauphinee describes the 1,538-acre development as an exciting prospect for the entire province.

“I never thought I would live long enough to see something come in that would be good not only for West Hants… but our neighbouring municipalities and good for all of Nova Scotia,” said Dauphinee in an interview following the meeting. “It’s fantastic.”

In addition to a Jack Nicklaus-designed 18-hole golf course, the owners of Forest Lakes Country Club Resort plan to build an estimated 1,800 residential units — which would consist of single-unit and semi-detached dwellings, cottages, townhouses, and multiple unit complexes — as well as create hiking trails, playing fields, an ice rink and other recreational facilities. The resort could see restaurants, small businesses and a hotel spring up as development progresses.

The project, which is anticipated to take between 15-20 years to complete, could get underway as soon as next year.

Dauphinee said that’s good news for the economy.

“The construction of the facility is going to make a lot of work, bring a lot of money — a lot of economic spin-off,” said Dauphinee. “After it is up and running, there’s going to be a lot of employees employed there and there will be a lot of tax base for our municipality. It’s great.”

A natural fit
Thomas Byrne, the vice president of Terra Firma, said in an interview with the Hants Journal that the area is attractive to international travellers.
“You might describe it as the middle of nowhere but it’s also the centre of everything,” said Byrne of the site.

Byrne said visitors will be able to travel to the Valley, to witness the tides of the Bay of Fundy, to catch a flight from the Halifax International Airport, or tour Halifax — all within an hour’s drive.

“We’re probably within an hour of 75 per cent of all of the major tourist attractions of Nova Scotia — Cape Breton excluded, of course. It’s the other end, altogether,” said Byrne, who lives in Ireland.

He said the European market is ripe with people who will want to visit here while many will want to invest in the site, purchasing homes, cottages or vacation time shares.

“Space is at a premium in cities in Europe. People live in small apartments. The opportunity to have the great outdoors that you can have in Canada — you’re not short on land — is novel for people living in Southern Germany or somewhere like that,” said Byrne.

“Surveys in the UK show Canada, after Australia, is the place where most UK citizens would like to either immigrate or retire to.”

Terra Firma representatives announced they already have about 500 international clients who are interested in the West Hants development.
Byrne said one of their main focuses is bringing new people to the area, however, they also want Canadians to invest in the property as well. He said the investment could help curb the province’s population decline.

“We understand from people we’ve spoken to that the rural communities in Atlantic Canada are losing population and that it’s getting harder and harder to maintain services and things like that,” said Byrne.

“We know that this will have a substantial impact on the community in a very positive way,” said Terra Firma President Brad Marr, who also lives overseas.
For Marr, the development is more than just another project. It’s personal.
“I was born in Fredericton. My relatives live here. There are still 25 members of my family that are here,” said Marr in an interview. “Part of it is a little personal. We’re going to leave a legacy here.”

Water quality among concerns
There were simply not enough chairs to accommodate the throngs of people that showed up to the July 12 public hearing.

Residents from the area as well as HRM crammed into the council chambers to listen to the public hearing, and to voice their opinions.

There were several common concerns raised, chief among them was water quality.

The resort proposal states individual on-site wells and sewage disposal systems will be used in the early stages of the development. The report presented to council noted the water could come from a variety of sources, including groundwater, rainwater using cisterns, surface water, stormwater, recycled water or effluent.

From our point of view, the main thing is that we work to make this a win-win not just for us, but the municipality and the local population as well. - Thomas Byrne, vice president of Terra Firma

The majority of residents were concerned the blasting could negatively effect their well water, or there would be a greater demand for water, leaving neighbours with poor quality water systems.

The development agreement requires the company to identify the type of water system they will use for each phase of the project, as well as submit a water balance study.

Following the meeting, Byrne said he understood — and welcomed — the feedback.

“All the concerns are legitimate,” said Byrne. “This is the public’s first real chance to engage on this but they will have subsequent opportunities.”
Byrne said they will pour more money into research before forging ahead.
“We don’t have to get them right from a selfish point of view. You can’t build something and leave your owners short of water, and, you can’t build something and leave your neighbours short of water,” said Byrne.

“When you have a project that is this length of time, you can’t take short cuts early on. If you do, you’re finished,” he added.

Byrne said there is still much planning to do before any shovels can turn soil.
“From our point of view, the main thing is that we work to make this a win-win not just for us, but the municipality and the local population as well,” said Byrne. “If you don’t have local support on something like this, you’re going nowhere.”

Before each phase of the development can begin, amending agreements must be brought forward to the Planning Advisory Committee, which will then submit recommendations to council.

While amending agreements do not require council to hold any further public hearings, Coun. Shirley Pineo said concerned residents can always touch base with their councillors or attend PAC meetings.

“The discussions on these amending agreements will start at PAC meetings, which are open to the public,” she said.

As well, if council feels it would be in the public’s interest to hold a meeting concerning any of the amending agreements, they may do so.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 2:02 PM

They are certainly correct in noting the European market interest. Whether they can easily get here is another matter of course. When what should be a 5 or 6 hour flight turns into a 20-hour ordeal because of poor connections really hurts.

I still question the Nicklaus name. That's really all it is at this stage, a name that one sells. Perhaps that is all they want.

I hope their investors have deep pockets. And lots of bug spray.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 2:35 PM

Wow Kieth that's 3 very pessimistic points. I don't know if you've heard this before but Eastern Canadians have been branded with a culture of defeat,why would you re-enforce it, especially when someone who wants to be a part of this project posts on this very thread. I for one welcome any investment in our province especially one that grows our international recognition.
Here's some more points you missed
It's going to ruin the water quality of other peoples wells
multi-unit COMPLEXES (doesn't sound very rustic to me)
O and don't forget the children
I read this forum because of the optimistic views put forward and the idea that Halifax is starting to turn the corner on the ideas of the old and embracing the visions of the younger generation who want to live and work here for years to come

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 7:48 PM

Quote:
They are certainly correct in noting the European market interest. Whether they can easily get here is another matter of course. When what should be a 5 or 6 hour flight turns into a 20-hour ordeal because of poor connections really hurts.

I still question the Nicklaus name. That's really all it is at this stage, a name that one sells. Perhaps that is all they want.

I hope their investors have deep pockets. And lots of bug spray.
Flight connections shouldn't be a problem during the high season (typically May to October) because Condor offers a direct flight from Frankfurt a couple of times per week during that time. Also, since Lufthansa is a partner with Air Canada (through star alliance) and they are all hubbed in the same terminal at Heathrow now (or will be in the near future) - the connections will/have been streamlined.

So someone should be able to easily fly from any airport through London and onto Halifax through Air Canada and its partners. Then there is Condor and there is a flight to Paris a couple of times per week during the high season too. I'm not sure of Air Transat's schedule, but they usually do a few flights to Europe as well.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:02 PM

I currently reside in the US, but grew up a Hants County girl so I understand the city vs. country differences. That all said, I have lived in northern Ontario, Cape Breton, New Minas, Aylesford, Falmouth then onto Toronto, Regina, Prince Albert (SK) and Meadow Lake (northern SK) and moved to Indiana two years ago...

I can honestly say that the concerns over international visitors being deterred by the approximately one hour trip from Halifax International are not necessarily in the global perspective. Having traveled to remote parts of Canada as well as almost every major city as well, then also traveling throughout the US I can only stress that one hour for travel to a luxury resort is a non-issue for most...

I do suspect the resort will have a fleet of cars and also a larger van for groups that will provide for those who fly into Halifax International.

Being from the East Coast I think we have a unique way of being friendly and positive. This development may be an ongoing project for 10 to 15 years BUT all along that time frame there will be many opportunities for employment and further into the future with the resort staff servicing guests/members.

I am currently investigating investing myself so if anyone has further information, cautions, concerns, etc. please continue the discussion.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General