HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

125 Greenwich Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:04 PM

And now that we know more about Shvo's downtown supertall, I want to hear something about Shvo's 57th Street supertall. Details, please!

Also, mods, please change building height for 22 Thames to 1356 ft.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:35 PM

Wow, that's pretty bold of Michael Shvo to go that tall so close to the WTC complex. Although it lines up aesthetically with the rest of the complex, it kind of conflicts with Libeskind's tiered steps motif. I wonder if, in the future, when the demand for office space downtown increases again, would they consider building 2 WTC to a higher height, maybe 1776 or even 1787 so that the WTC doesn't get eclipsed by future skinny supertalls?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:41 PM

I waited all this time just to see nothing more than the original concept render for this tower without the slab??!!??

I mean, I can perhaps empathize with the sentiment that all it needs to be is a box; but a sheer glass-skinned copycat of 432P isn't what I was hoping for...at all.

At least there should've been a modest crown/beacon added.

Keep your stratospheric aspirations. Banality is a real hope killer.

Edit: Kudos to the above poster for his additional observations. Bye-bye Libeskindian skyward spiral motif. This banality (see above) fucks it up for good.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like 432 Park, no?

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/09/...st-resi-tower/

Quote:
Rafael Vinoly, who is the architect of record, designed the proposed 77-story condo tower, which will only be 12 feet shorter than One World Trade Center, according to YIMBY. This also means it’ll be the second tallest tower in downtown Manhattan. The building will include a total of 128 units, ten of which will be 5,300-square-foot, full-floor penthouses. A 10,600-square-foot duplex will occupy the top of the tower.

http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/09/rev...de-center.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:01 PM

I'm so excited for this proposal! I argued all along that 432 Park should have been all glass, to which I still think today. 22 Thames is going to be 432 Park's sister tower in Lower Manhattan. I'm very glad that they kept Vinoly on as architect, so much better than another Cesar Pelli or Norman Foster. He's becoming the man with the plan in NYC. So happy for him!

Remember when I said the center of the skyline is going to shift from Midtown Manhattan to Lower Manhattan? It Begins!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:16 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Looks like 432 Park, no?
My thoughts as well.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:17 PM

If I wanted a sibling tower arrangement, quite frankly, I would've simply paired this with 432P and catty-cornered them.

Zero effort seems to have gone into this tower when all the ado made about it up till today indicated the complete opposite.

And again...horrid placement in the grand scheme. This is the crowning insult (NPI) to Mr. Libeskind's original vision.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
If I wanted a sibling tower arrangement, quite frankly, I would've simply paired this with 432P and catty-cornered them.

Zero effort seems to have gone into this tower when all the ado made about it up till today indicated the complete opposite.
People always say that then it gets built and they love it. One 57, 432 Park, 22 Thames? I think I'm sensing a pattern here.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Remember when I said the center of the skyline is going to shift from Midtown Manhattan to Lower Manhattan? It Begins!
That's not gonna happen. Hudson Yards alone will have more supers in the skyline, in as compact a location. Then you have the 57th Street giants. Then 1 Vanderbilt, and whatever else comes with it around Grand Central. Even 15 Penn is back in play.

What I am sensing though, is that the supertall bonanza we are in the middle of changes the skyline game. I won't get into that here, but we are approaching the point where it'll be necessary for the skyline to get a 2,000 ft tower, before we "flatline" with supertalls. The kingdom must have a king.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
That's not gonna happen. Hudson Yards alone will have more supers in the skyline, in as compact a location. Then you have the 57th Street giants. Then 1 Vanderbilt, and whatever else comes with it around Grand Central. Even 15 Penn is back in play.

What I am sensing though, is that the supertall bonanza we are in the middle of changes the skyline game. I won't get into that here, but we are approaching the point where it'll be necessary for the skyline to get a 2,000 ft tower, before we "flatline" with supertalls. The kingdom must have a king.
The question is who will be the first pioneer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
People always say that then it gets built and they love it. One 57, 432 Park, 22 Thames? I think I'm sensing a pattern here.
I understand your drift here; but my attempted point was to illustrate IMHO how something with so little thought put into it could've been dealt with for all intents and purposes.

Your citing the latter two also bears part deux of my point: The Twins were reviled, even more so before WFC was built on the landfill created from the original construction. But yes, over time it came to be tolerated and--after the Attacks--"iconicized".

I still hope that this thing goes through a bit more modification. If they stand pat on the height, so be it. But at day's end I suppose I should've expected a ot more of Sr. Viñoly...and for that matter Mr. Shvo for perhaps not being a bit more demanding. I wonder how his wife, who's been balyhooing the project to no end, must be thinking.........

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:52 PM

Quote:

The kingdom must have a king you say? Your right! And guess where it will be that changes the entire center of the skyline? Yes, it will happen.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
The kingdom must have a king you say? Your right! And guess where it will be that changes the entire center of the skyline? Yes, it will happen.

Something you know?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post
Something you know?
Couldn't say anything if I did know something.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post
The question is who will be the first pioneer.
Quote:

Downtown doesn't have the base suitable for it. By that, I mean Midtown can absorb the scale of such a tower, Downtown is much more compact by comparison, not to mention Midtown has more sites to build on.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:27 PM
BANNED

A shiny new 432 in Downtown Manhattan.

Can a mod change the address as well?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:50 PM

From the looks of it, the only interesting thing about this building will be, how much do the units with 24 foot ceilings go for?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:24 PM
BANNED

My condolences to the NYC skyline. This thing is dull and uninspiring, all whilst ruining the WTC.

*I forgot my password on this site back in february and was too lazy to retrieve it. That is until today when I was met by this horrible building on r/news (reddit). So, yea in short I'm back.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:26 PM
JoeCooper

I love this one! The height figure will hopefully help those developing 2WTC wake the hell up and up the height to at least that of the old Tower 2. If both are built at their current proposed heights, this tower will stand taller than 2WTC by seven feet and shorter than the old 2WTC by six feet. Just thought I'd point it out. Just an itch that needed scrathing.

Another thing that makes this one special is it that when all is said and done, this tower alone with the finished WTC complex will have an accumulative impact on the skyline better than anyone imagined!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:29 PM

A look into the future: Downtown Manhattan 2020!

Downtown Manhattan with 101 Murray Street, WTC towers, 22 Thames (78 Trinity Place) and 50 West Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction