HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Maybe this:
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ey-development

Billboard stays - would that explain "partial"
I don't think so. This location is slightly up the street and construction work is already underway there.

Last edited by TimeAgain; Apr 2, 2017 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
I don't think so. This location is slightly up the street and construction work is already underway there.
It's the building. There's an alternative address listed on the permit which is the same as the one in the article

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's the building. There's an alternative address listed on the permit which is the same as the one in the article
Wow, didn't realize it stretched that far.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:34 AM

Today
Moxy

Moody Bible Expansion

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:47 AM

Not sure where to post this. I feel I want to post it in a bunch of threads.

The featured commemoration on google.com for 3 April 2017 (aka today's "Google Doodle"):

They could easily have made some knee jerk homage to baseball opening day or college basketball today, but thankfully they usually go deeper than that.

Quote:
Today we celebrate structural engineer Fazlur R. Khan's 88th birthday.

Below, get a glimpse of his life, accomplishments, and passions in the words of his daughter, Yasmin Sabina Khan:

As a youth my father never imagined that one day he would be building skyscrapers. He was born in East Bengal, British India, which became East Pakistan in 1947 and then Bangladesh in 1971. Graduate studies first brought him to the United States and the promise of challenging work drew him to a busy design office in Chicago – that of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill – where he remained until his death in 1982. A surge in demand for residential and office space in the 1960s and early 1970s made tall buildings desirable, but traditional design and construction methods were uneconomical, having evolved for shorter structures. He recognized that a new approach to skyscraper design was needed and set his mind to the task.

In 1972, at 42 years old, he was named Construction’s Man of the Year by Engineering News-Record. His pioneering work in skyscraper design was rejuvenating the design profession as he developed new ways of framing tall buildings, dramatically improving structural efficiency and economy. In 1965 he had initiated the “trussed tube” structural system with his design for Chicago’s 100-story John Hancock Center. By 1971 he was designing the world’s tallest building, the Sears Tower, using his latest innovation, the “bundled tube” (the Sears Tower, now Willis Tower, remained the “world’s tallest” for the next 22 years). His innovations subsequently formed the basis of tall building design.

A humanitarian in his personal as well as professional life, he was inspired by the belief that his work had a positive impact and he encouraged other engineers not to lose track of the purpose of their profession. When he was named Construction’s Man of the Year, he reflected, “The technical man must not be lost in his own technology. He must be able to appreciate life, and life is art, drama, music and, most importantly, people.”

Doodle by Lydia Nichols
google.com/doodles/fazlur-rahman-khans-88th-birthday

------------

On a highly related note, the navigation hazard lights flashing on the Hancock's antennas seem different now. Were they changed recently? They're 4 fairly strong pure white pulses now. I think they were either more dainty or just red before.

Last edited by denizen467; Apr 3, 2017 at 6:24 AM. Reason: Decided to include the bio narrative

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 12:43 PM
BANNED

^Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. The Hancock's lights used to flash white during the day and then switch to red at night. It used to irk me that there was no symmetry with the Hancock being red, Trump red but Sears white. There's better symmetry now if the Hancock is indeed flashing white at night.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Today
Moxy

Moody Bible Expansion
Gack. Even worse than I thought. Is that sign for another elevation? It looks nothing like as built.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Gack. Even worse than I thought. Is that sign for another elevation? It looks nothing like as built.
You are looking at the existing building, the expansion will be crammed between that and the sidewalk blocking that horrid monstrosity from view forever.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:30 PM

Nice to see that stretch of Wells filling in, even if just a small project

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:06 PM

can't say I've seen a cinderblock elevator core like that before... are they cheaping out or what?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:27 AM

Went to a SOAR town hall this evening, and it looks like Ed Debevick's is looking to move into a space at 550 St. Clair.

Some of the folks are seemingly against it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Went to a SOAR town hall this evening, and it looks like Ed Debevick's is looking to move into a space at 550 St. Clair.

Some of the folks are seemingly against it.
Let me guess, parking concerns? I'm kind of glad Ed's is finally coming back. It's not my kind of thing at all, but at least it's a locally owned and operated business.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 4:01 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Let me guess, parking concerns? I'm kind of glad Ed's is finally coming back. It's not my kind of thing at all, but at least it's a locally owned and operated business.
I would be concerned if Ed Debevic's tried to open up on my block. Hordes of tourists, school groups, and buses lined up around the block? No thanks...

There aren't really any areas left downtown where they could open this type of establishment without running into neighborhood issues, though.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Odd space for them. I figured they would have jumped on the old Heaven on Seven space. Maybe the price was right

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 12:28 PM

New construction permit issues yesterday for the 10 story 100 unit building at 734 w Sheridan over that old abandoned gas station

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Odd space for them. I figured they would have jumped on the old Heaven on Seven space. Maybe the price was right
The White palace grill would be an interesting location for a new Ed's but I would never want to to see the palace go. The omelette's... my god the omelett's.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hordes of tourists, school groups, and buses lined up around the block? No thanks...
People from out of town supporting a business, spending money and paying sales taxes? No thanks...
I guess those folks are happy with the tax rate they pay...

But have to ask, is one block off Michigan Ave a quiet little street that's sheltered from the hordes of tourists?

Last edited by aaron38; Apr 4, 2017 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New construction permit issues yesterday for the 10 story 100 unit building at 734 w Sheridan over that old abandoned gas station
Is there a rendering for that? Is it just the gas station or does it go all the way to the alley?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:56 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
The White palace grill would be an interesting location for a new Ed's but I would never want to to see the palace go. The omelette's... my god the omelett's.
No way, my friend. Lol White Palace was my go-to food stop when I was still living in the city, so I'll gladly chain myself to the door before I see it face the wrecking ball.

But now that you mention that area, Ed's could conceivably open a location down that way. Nowhere near as many residents to bitch about the traffic impact, at least not yet...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 4:21 PM
The City

Streeterville is an odd place for Ed Debevicks, but hell why not? It's time for Streeterville to wake up to its burgeoning role as Chicago's Midtown Manhattan east. (Waiting for my fellow forumers to get on me for perpetuating that term....)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development