HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1101  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:52 AM
whiteford's Avatar
whiteford whiteford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,530
the huge picture is more in line of what should be strive for. still, i don't like it that much ether not enough tall for me. i guess i am hard to please. more like Chicago`s or something where the lakefront is like a wall. haha i know i set my hopes way to high. i am just to big a dreamer i suppose, but my feeling is the Toronto lakefront should be a wall of mixed use office and ultra modern living with the highest of density. i for one can imagine it will happen that way some day. this will happen because of outright necessity i would think. within the next 20 or so yrs. i promise you that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1102  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 1:03 PM
losername losername is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: world citizen
Posts: 178
The above video is nice and all, but it already seems that it won't turn out this nice. For example the best part of Bayside Hall's design , the winter garden, has seemingly already been nixed according to the most recent renderings. So as the narrator in the video says, "cars will behave themselves in this neighborhood" but will the developers? The cheapening has already begun and we haven't started yet....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1103  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 2:43 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Ugh.. dammit 90 Harbour.

Blocking the REAL skyline of the city (the bank towers) with the boring flat topped nothing. Leave it to aA to screw up the skyline of this city with their garbage they've been vomiting up as of late.
__________________
Hope is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1104  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:55 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 4,581
Thats only one view of the skyline, from many other vantage points it will only be partially visible or not seen at all.
__________________
My Diagram: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=52344624
A proud member of the former Airborne Regiment, 87-88
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1105  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:05 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,772
Plus, we don't know how good or bad 90 Harbour will look.

We haven't seen clear quality renderings of the project yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1106  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:14 PM
isaidso isaidso is online now
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Ugh.. dammit 90 Harbour.

Blocking the REAL skyline of the city (the bank towers) with the boring flat topped nothing. Leave it to aA to screw up the skyline of this city with their garbage they've been vomiting up as of late.
Agree. The bank towers are going to be blocked, so the quality of our lakefront skyline is going to plummet with the current design for 90 Harbour. This will look like our tallest and its certainly a huge drop from the beauty of our 2005 lake front skyline.

We had Scotia Plaza, FCP, the Royal York, TD Centre in plain view. Now we have Maple Leaf Square and 90 Harbour? What a shame! One would hope that growing the skyline would make it look better, not worse. Something like the fantasy building on the right is infinitely better:


Courtesy of innsertnamehere
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1107  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 8:38 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Insertoronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,358
plus its much taller
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1108  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:32 AM
vegeta_skyline vegeta_skyline is offline
Registered User, Maybe
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Windsor
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Leave it to aA to screw up the skyline of this city with their garbage they've been vomiting up as of late.
Crap-itecture at its finest. With the Toronto condo market as hot as it is, the boys at Menkes realize they don't need anything groundbreaking or fresh to sell. Just call up aA, ask for a slight variation of their typical design and viola! The less you spend on design details/elements, the more you pocket in profit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1109  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:41 AM
Andrewjm3D's Avatar
Andrewjm3D Andrewjm3D is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Thats only one view of the skyline, from many other vantage points it will only be partially visible or not seen at all.
I know eh? Move 50 ft to the left and you see the core, move 50 to the right and you see it again. Not to mention how many people actually get to see that view on a daily basis? Only 50 or so commuters from Toronto Island.

That view was destroyed decades ago by Harbour Castle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1110  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:42 AM
Andrewjm3D's Avatar
Andrewjm3D Andrewjm3D is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
Crap-itecture at its finest. With the Toronto condo market as hot as it is, the boys at Menkes realize they don't need anything groundbreaking or fresh to sell. Just call up aA, ask for a slight variation of their typical design and viola! The less you spend on design details/elements, the more you pocket in profit.

I suppose you are privy to some inside information where you've seen the final design renders? care to share?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1111  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 4:54 AM
isaidso isaidso is online now
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
plus its much taller
Exactly! And in that render it's not just height that's working for it: one can tell attention was paid to design, shape, context, colour, and how each tower plays off the other.
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1112  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 1:02 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,772
For those that think 90 Harbour is going to destroy the skyline along with stable mates 1 York and 10 York, please remember that the Toronto skyline, unlike other Canadian City skylines is in perpetual flux. Every year there are more and taller towers, so what you see one year is not what you'll see in the next. Also, back in the 1960's Toronto had to deal with a new form of skyscraper headlining the skyline, one made of glass and steel, then, in the 1970's everything had to be written off with the arrival of the CN Tower, and Harbourfont slabs, and then the 90's brought us Skydome, all the while the depth and reach of the skyline kept expanding out to the further reaches of Lake Ontario, now we are in store for the "near" supertalls and perhaps supertalls as well, further changing the way we perceive the city from the lake. If you like'em tall, then the next few years will be built for you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1113  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:29 PM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
For those that think 90 Harbour is going to destroy the skyline along with stable mates 1 York and 10 York, please remember that the Toronto skyline, unlike other Canadian City skylines is in perpetual flux. Every year there are more and taller towers, so what you see one year is not what you'll see in the next. Also, back in the 1960's Toronto had to deal with a new form of skyscraper headlining the skyline, one made of glass and steel, then, in the 1970's everything had to be written off with the arrival of the CN Tower, and Harbourfont slabs, and then the 90's brought us Skydome, all the while the depth and reach of the skyline kept expanding out to the further reaches of Lake Ontario, now we are in store for the "near" supertalls and perhaps supertalls as well, further changing the way we perceive the city from the lake. If you like'em tall, then the next few years will be built for you.
Come on now Caltrane really???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1114  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:56 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,772
ok, I'm overstating the case, but I'm just trying to make a point with these knuckleheads, that there is no "set skyline"

I didn't do it to offend you guys.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1115  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:33 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cold Garden
Posts: 18,619
Yeah but the difference is, as the other skylines improve constantly, as Vancouver's, Calgary's and Regina's have, Toronto seems set to begin a regression if some of these towers aren't redesigned, or risk losing the lake front vantage as the most beautiful angle to view the skyline.
__________________
Strong & free

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1116  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:33 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

ok, I'm overstating the case...
You are not overstating the case. You are falsifying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

I didn't do it to offend you guys.
You didn't offend us. You made us laugh.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1117  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 8:50 AM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You are not overstating the case. You are falsifying it.



You didn't offend us. You made us laugh.
Fighting words which should scream to the Toronto Forumers:

1. You cared enough to let us know that other Canadian skylines change, not just Toronto.
2. Why can't the Toronto forumers deal with the fact that tall towers will soon block the bank towers from view, probably by this summer.
3. Vancouver's bank towers have long been blocked from view by taller condo towers, didn't seem to create havoc there when it happened.
4. There are other Canadian cities that have no taller towers on the horizon, or at least 6 towers over 200 meters under construction or proposed for prime viewing areas of their skyline.
5. Ask people in Buffalo what it's like to have a skyline that doesn't change, the Buffalo skyline is basically the Toronto skyline from 50 years ago. No change in your skyline means, no money, no jobs and nobody wants to live there.
6. Think about how mad people must have been when Commerce Court North got blocked from view by Commerce Court West, they likely had the same reaction you guys are having right now. Of course those guys are dead now, so you don't remember or even care about how they felt at the time the new glass and steel towers were going up and defining a new Toronto Skyline. (Don't worry, the same thing will happen to you guys)

That's basically what you said in a nutshell

Last edited by caltrane74; Jan 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1118  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:43 PM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Winnipeg Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Fighting words which should scream to the Toronto Forumers:

1. You cared enough to let us know that other Canadian skylines change, not just Toronto.
2. Why can't the Toronto forumers deal with the fact that tall towers will soon block the bank towers from view, probably by this summer.
3. Vancouver's bank towers have long been blocked from view by taller condo towers, didn't seem to create havoc there when it happened.
4. There are other Canadian cities that have no taller towers on the horizon, or at least 6 towers over 200 meters under construction or proposed for prime viewing areas of their skyline.
5. Ask people in Buffalo what it's like to have a skyline that doesn't change, the Buffalo skyline is basically the Toronto skyline from 50 years ago. No change in your skyline means, no money, no jobs and nobody wants to live there.
6. Think about how mad people must have been when Commerce Court North got blocked from view by Commerce Court West, they likely had the same reaction you guys are having right now. Of course those guys are dead now, so you don't remember or even care about how they felt at the time the new glass and steel towers were going up and defining a new Toronto Skyline. (Don't worry, the same thing will happen to you guys)

That's basically what you said in a nutshell
Sounds a little like Winnipeg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1119  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 4:38 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
And yet, I want to move there. Who would've thunk? Especially when knowing that the last 8 years of my life have been just outside what is Canada's only important city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1120  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:38 PM
Andrewjm3D's Avatar
Andrewjm3D Andrewjm3D is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yeah but the difference is, as the other skylines improve constantly, as Vancouver's, Calgary's and Regina's have, Toronto seems set to begin a regression if some of these towers aren't redesigned, or risk losing the lake front vantage as the most beautiful angle to view the skyline.
I for one have always found the lakefront view to be the least beautiful angle of the skyline. Like I said earlier it was ruined back in the 70's but in reality ever since the first building was erected 200 years ago it's never really had a great waterfront presence from the inner harbour. In fact the inner harbour view is the most limiting of the entire skyline which extends north past Bloor. It seems like the majority of postcard pictures we see are from the ferry going out to the Island when in reality there are so many better angles of the city. Perhaps once the once all the waterfront projects are complete that view will improve, but to say it's getting worse and not better is a little unjustified.

Seen from the spit those towers will be in between the core and the tower.


Viewed from the west they will be to the right of the tower.


From the north you won't even see them.


And from the east they will be seen to the left of the core.


I do get your point, I'm just suggesting that view had been ruined years ago, and also that has never been the best vantage point for the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.