HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwood View Post
The last two pages have nothing to do with the CP Trail extension.

It appears the Rothesay overpass is almost ready to open with foot traffic now allowed over the bridge.
Finally! Noticed the temporary path across the CPT extension near Rothesay had been removed when I cycled along the CPT extension there on Friday. The bridge for the walkway near Gateway is up and covered in tarps and is being heated for work on it to continue.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Those buse's are near the end of it as well?
They were junk when they were new and they're worse now. 14 years means they should be near due for replacement, although they have been doing rebuilds of course, which help somewhat but still leaves them with the awkward air throttles, installed in those buses when they were almost new due to mysterious problems with the electronic throttles which they couldn't solve. There are a few drivers they won't book those short buses to period due to back problems aggravated by the choppy rides.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 4:49 PM

Saw a couple cars mistakenly turn down the Chief Peguis only to be chased by rent a cops while waiting at the lights on Henderson. I think that pedestrian bridge is the last thing to be finished. Looks really low though....

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
They were junk when they were new and they're worse now. 14 years means they should be near due for replacement, although they have been doing rebuilds of course, which help somewhat but still leaves them with the awkward air throttles, installed in those buses when they were almost new due to mysterious problems with the electronic throttles which they couldn't solve. There are a few drivers they won't book those short buses to period due to back problems aggravated by the choppy rides.
Hm, wonder if NFI will make an 30ft bus again. They didnt like cutaway vehicles during testing way back then, and I dont think they'd go to ElDorado for theirs either

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Saw a couple cars mistakenly turn down the Chief Peguis only to be chased by rent a cops while waiting at the lights on Henderson. I think that pedestrian bridge is the last thing to be finished. Looks really low though....
Yup, those ROAD CLOSED signs are pretty vague!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:06 AM

December 2 is the tentative opening date

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
How do you know?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman224 View Post
How do you know?
Jeff Browaty posted it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:04 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Jeff Browaty posted it.
Just in time for the first December weekend.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:28 AM

Quote:
GOOD.

I can't wait for this to relive all the awful traffic that is all over NK now. It got so much worse with the Springfield Rd. closure.

I avoid Gateway as much as I can during peak hours.

Bring on CPT

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 7:43 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
GOOD.

I can't wait for this to relive all the awful traffic that is all over NK now. It got so much worse with the Springfield Rd. closure.

Bring on CPT
Yeah, most people take McLeod/Grassie, and that stretch of road between Gateway and Lag is the worst, and most busiest, because it's more familiar.

The more "reasonable" people take Sun Valley Drive from Gateway to DeVries, and then back onto Springfield and onto Lag.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 2:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
GOOD.

Bring on CPT

The city is planning to 4 lane Gateway from Superstore north to Sun Valley. I think that it is stupid not to do this all at once while we are being inconvenienced but......they said that they need to do a traffic study first but it will be necessary.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The city is planning to 4 lane Gateway from Superstore north to Sun Valley. I think that it is stupid not to do this all at once while we are being inconvenienced but......they said that they need to do a traffic study first but it will be necessary.
In it's TOTAL ineptitude the city put only 2 lanes N-S at the CPT Trail extension where there were once 4 with both Gateway and Raleigh.

Raleigh is now closed at the CPT. Both of those roadways were already heavily congested even before the added traffic the CPT extension will certainly bring, I'm betting traffic will be routinley backed up on the CPT trying to turn onto Gateway both north and south.

Can the transportation dept. in the city of Winnipeg ever get anything right?

Looks like the work on the Rothesay overpass is all but done, they are now completing the side walks leading to the overpass and installing the railings.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Can the transportation dept. in the city of Winnipeg ever get anything right
No, they can't.

Why didn't they freaking do 4 lanes form Sun Valley to StupidStore from the beginning...???
It's such a waste of time/money/concrete/road closures/etc... to build a roadway, then re-do it the next year due to an sudden surge in traffic volumes (that were already there.)
Evidence of roadway planning failures exist all over the place in Winnipeg. Sterling Lyon Pkwy @ Kenaston is a perfect example of this crap. 3 Left turning lanes... 7 lanes in one direction? WTF.

Sorry for my rant. I just don't understand why these roadways are designed so poorly.
Is it just money that's the issue?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
In it's TOTAL ineptitude the city put only 2 lanes N-S at the CPT Trail extension where there were once 4 with both Gateway and Raleigh.

Raleigh is now closed at the CPT. Both of those roadways were already heavily congested even before the added traffic the CPT extension will certainly bring, I'm betting traffic will be routinley backed up on the CPT trying to turn onto Gateway both north and south.

Can the transportation dept. in the city of Winnipeg ever get anything right?

Looks like the work on the Rothesay overpass is all but done, they are now completing the side walks leading to the overpass and installing the railings.

Quote:
No, they can't.

Why didn't they freaking do 4 lanes form Sun Valley to StupidStore from the beginning...???
It's such a waste of time/money/concrete/road closures/etc... to build a roadway, then re-do it the next year due to an sudden surge in traffic volumes (that were already there.)
Evidence of roadway planning failures exist all over the place in Winnipeg. Sterling Lyon Pkwy @ Kenaston is a perfect example of this crap. 3 Left turning lanes... 7 lanes in one direction? WTF.

Sorry for my rant. I just don't understand why these roadways are designed so poorly.
Is it just money that's the issue?
agree w both of you. and hey, if we drive on those roads we have a right to have an opinion as residing citizens.

somewhere along the chain, someone is exceptionally inept

on the bright side, one day, these issues will summarize a platform for a future mayor who hopefully will deal with them. And money is always going to be an issue. But there could definately be better planning

I know that in Calgary, a lot of underpasses and overpasses, lane expansions, diamond interchanges etc... have been recent constructions that came with increased cash flow as well as vision.

its a one-two punch, but for us, its more of a lack of vision and desire to do things "that could be improved one day"...its a lazy attitude somewhere along the chain, and its accepted with excuses.

Someone should send a memo: "don't do it if it ain't gonna be done right!"

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:25 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Mark my words, the CPT at Henderson is going to be a disaster, you can already see it coming.

One badly synchronized light at Whellams and then another 50 yards down the street followed be a pedestrian corridor at Douglas...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:26 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

This whole econo job only reaffirms in my mind that North Winnipeggers are second class citizens in their own city..We waited 60 years for this? Really?

They should have made Douglas Field into another park like Bunn's Creek.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:57 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
This whole econo job only reaffirms in my mind that North Winnipeggers are second class citizens in their own city..We waited 60 years for this? Really?

They should have made Douglas Field into another park like Bunn's Creek.
Somehow, I'm not surprised how we Northern 'Peggers feel that way as well. I guess the so-called "North End effect" really does extend beyond North of Inkster, but that's another topic to discuss.

Perhaps everyone on this forum should send that memo to city hall.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 2:03 AM

I found this document on Winnipeg's website. It's different from the original, and it looks like it has been amended and included input from the latest open house.

NOTE: Go to the PDF labeled "Transportation Master Plan"

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 2:46 AM

The Chief Peguis Extension to the east perimeter isn't happening. It got deleted in the disposition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan