HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 7:24 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
BOA is 2.1 msf.

For a proper benchmark tower, think of 7WTC or Conde Nast. Both are roughly 1.6msf.

As far as I am aware, the south tower would be just over 3msf and the north tower would be just under 2msf. However, that does not include any other possible towers. As for where a 3rd office tower would go on the site, I suspect that it would go on the location of the midrise residential building that is currently on the site.

Cool thanks,

So if tower 1 is 3msf and tower 2 is 2msf then with the third 1.5 msf tower this whole project should cover about 6.5 msf give or take.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 5:00 PM
World Machine

It was only a matter of time, however nonetheless I’m very excited that the engines are beginning to fire up. The need for growth is undeniable.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
so basically, if I understand correctly, The towers will both be built how they are plus an extra 1.5msf building eventually.

How tall would a 1.5msf office building be? for example how many sf is the BOA tower? (I'm aware it's very wide and has huge floors but if it's a building of that size that's great)
That extra 1.5 msf of air rights is for the large 450 W. 33rd building. That's in addition to what's there now, so if that building were to be demolished, that particular site could hold up to 3 msf of development. On the other hand, if a tower were build above it, you would be like placing a 1.5 msf tower on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
As for where a 3rd office tower would go on the site, I suspect that it would go on the location of the midrise residential building that is currently on the site.
That's pretty much where it would go, however its not stated for sure if it would even be office space. It's possible it could be hotel, which is the case with Related's initial development over the railyards. You may recall that also consists of two towers with a smaller, lowrise. Related has stated that could be office or hotel space. Hotel space seems the most logical because either of those small towers wouldn't offer any significant office space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 9:29 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...the-1980s.html

Manhattan Developers Plan Biggest Decade for Skyscrapers Since the 1980s

By David M. Levitt
May 20, 2011

Quote:

Brookfield, owner of downtown’s World Financial Center, is seeking to start its 5.4 million-square-foot Manhattan West project a block east of the Hudson Yards site. The New York- based company shut down preliminary work on the project in 2008. The company envisions two towers, one of them exceeding 1,200 feet in height.

“We could have the first tower up and a tenant in by 2015,” Chief Executive Officer Richard Clark said on a conference call last month. “Our hope is as we turn the year, we’ll be able to get out there and start to do the work.”

Melissa Coley, a Brookfield spokeswoman, declined to comment beyond Clark’s public statements.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 12:57 AM
World Machine

That’s a very exciting headline, and it’s even more exciting when Brookfield backs it up with a positive attitude towards the market.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 PM

These are likely going under construction soon it seems, however, I really dislike the designs. The longer I've seen them the more horrible they've become--seriously, these are just huge, brutish glass boxes. Nothing nice about them whatsoever (at least 15 Penn breaks up the facade, although it's still basically a pretty outfit on a gigantic fat woman).

I understand the floor-plates need to be large, but they should really make these buildings taller or add more architectural elements to increase their height and reduce their... fatness. They just aren't appealing. At all.

Does anyone think the actual plans for the towers are likely to change, given they were designed so long ago?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:22 PM
BANNED

NY Guy, do you know when those images are from? I wonder if Brookfield still plans to use that design, because it's not on their website for this project.

I think that these towers and 15 Penn won't rise for a while because Related is offering new space at the firesale price of $70/sf, and Related (and Vornado) probably seek in excess of $100/sf to make these towers viable.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 1:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
NY Guy, do you know when those images are from? I wonder if Brookfield still plans to use that design, because it's not on their website for this project.

I think that these towers and 15 Penn won't rise for a while because Related is offering new space at the firesale price of $70/sf, and Related (and Vornado) probably seek in excess of $100/sf to make these towers viable.
It's still in the hands of SOM, so any changes won't amount to much. As far as when the buildings will rise, there's still a difference between this site and the Hudson railyards (even as close as they are). It's a matter of preference and what's available. Like Related's development, the first tower here will be partially built without the platform. But Brookfield is offering almost twice as much office space as Related will have in it's first tower. Ironically, I think movement at the Related site will help speed things along here.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 4:43 PM
BANNED

I though that the first two towers at the Yards would fit on the solid ground and did not require the platform. If that's not the case and the second tower must sit on the platform, then I agree that this fact helps the other projects.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
But Brookfield is offering almost twice as much office space as Related will have in it's first tower.
And Coach is about to sign for a big chunk of the 1,000+ tower.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I believe its the first tower that Coach will sign for, and they will take more than half of the available office space there. Related is talking with other potential tenants about the other towers to follow.

Quote:
I though that the first two towers at the Yards would fit on the solid ground and did not require the platform.
Part of the site of the first tower is a parking lot. Here's an older overhead...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 3:06 PM
BANNED

I assumed that Coach was taking practically all of the office component of the first tower. According to the diagram's in Related's on-line brochure, the office component of the south tower is only about 30 stories tall. The tall thin part is residential. I assumed that there's not much more than 800,000 sf of office space in the south tower.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ I believe its the first tower that Coach will sign for, and they will take more than half of the available office space there. Related is talking with other potential tenants about the other towers to follow.

Part of the site of the first tower is a parking lot. Here's an older overhead...

The amazing thing about that photo is the fact that 3 thousand foot + towers will eventually rise on that block since 450 W33rd Street has 2.6m sf in air rights. (See http://www.allbusiness.com/operation...4420052-1.html.) Therefore, a huge tower of probably 1,200 feet + eventually will sit on that site and be adjacent to Brookfield's towers on its site.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 6:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The tall thin part is residential. I assumed that there's not much more than 800,000 sf of office space in the south tower.
I thought it was somewhere between 1 and 1.5 msf. I'll have to look at it again. If that's the overall size, then residential will cut into that.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 7:03 PM
DENNAB

that would be crazy if this actually got built at this height.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 1:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
that would be crazy if this actually got built at this height.
It's basically the same height as similar proposals in the area.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 2:27 PM
BANNED

Derek2k3 of WNY reports that scaffolding has been erected at the site which suggests that Brookfield may be proceeding with construction of the decking.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Derek2k3 of WNY reports that scaffolding has been erected at the site which suggests that Brookfield may be proceeding with construction of the decking.
I'm headed that way on my bike in a bit, I'll swing by and see what's going on. Hopefully I can snap something on my iPhone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive