HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
It is a clerical issue. I work for one of the utilities in Birmingham, and the fact that the developer is requesting the vacation of the "alley" means that they are moving more quickly now.

My department does receive requests for vacations of ROW (the alley), it's one of the last things needed before construction.
Thank you, I was worried. I would love to live down there.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Thank you, I was worried. I would love to live down there.
The BBJ stated that a large project on 20th Street took a big step today, but of course the story is behind the pay wall. Hoping it is the 20 midtown phase III project.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
The BBJ stated that a large project on 20th Street took a big step today, but of course the story is behind the pay wall. Hoping it is the 20 midtown phase III project.
UAB Proton Center start construction next month
Edit: The Post development.....They installed a skylight last week that is already lit up...

Last edited by mcalumni01; Dec 13, 2017 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:56 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I was on my way home from work the other day a noticed that the second Alabama Theatre sign is currently being erected on the 18th St side of the building. Can't wait to see it lit up!

You can see a rendering of how it will look in this story by the BBJ: LINK

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Dec 29, 2017 at 8:38 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 10:44 AM

Proton Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
UAB Proton Center start construction next month
Edit: The Post development.....They installed a skylight last week that is already lit up...
Great that we are getting more construction. Sad that we’ll have yet another red brick box in a prominent location.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 2:16 AM

In the Birmingham Business Journal last week's edition, they mentioned that construction has started on a major project on the south-side just down the street from 5 Points South.
I was walking down 10th Avenue South to Arrington BLVD and could see down to 22nd Street a couple of large pieces of construction equipment sitting behind what I think use to be a large building containing a former antique store. Any one know what that project could be? of course the article was behind the BBJ's paywall.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 8:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
In the Birmingham Business Journal last week's edition, they mentioned that construction has started on a major project on the south-side just down the street from 5 Points South.
I was walking down 10th Avenue South to Arrington BLVD and could see down to 22nd Street a couple of large pieces of construction equipment sitting behind what I think use to be a large building containing a former antique store. Any one know what that project could be? of course the article was behind the BBJ's paywall.
I think it was referring to a project down Magnolia. Here's a bit of text from behind the paywall.

Site work begins on major Southside project

Brent Goodwin
December 21, 2017
Birmingham Biz Journal
LINK

Quote:
Site work has begun near a building on Birmingham's Southside ahead of a redevelopment project.

Developer Mike Mouron of Capstone Real Estate Investments confirmed that preliminary work is beginning on a portion of the 2.8-acre site he owns at 2200 Magnolia Ave. S. near Five Points South...

Stewart Perry Construction signs are now visible outside the building.

"It's a big, open red brick warehouse with high ceilings. It is more than 60 years old," Mouron said. The building has been sitting vacant for some time. Mouron said he expects to get federal historic tax credits for the project, and is applying for Alabama's new historic tax credits as well.

Mouron said his project is moving forward now with a tenant commitment and a bank commitment. He said that it is "shovel ready" should work in its favor for historic tax credit consideration.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I think it was referring to a project down Magnolia. Here's a bit of text from behind the paywall.

Site work begins on major Southside project

Brent Goodwin
December 21, 2017
Birmingham Biz Journal
LINK
Thank you, that is the one. There was an article on AL.com about it a year or so ago and I ignored it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:53 PM

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...art_river_home

Demolition has begun on the old W.C.Davis school site for a new residential/retail project on 4th Avenue S. near the Lakeview District.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:39 AM

One of the last major CBD vacancy dominos is about to fall:

(Naaman Fletcher, https://www.flickr.com/photos/naaman...er/16986185146)

http://www.birminghamalcitycouncil.o...ry-23-2018.pdf

There was an item on the city council agenda today addressing a request to clear title on the Brown Marx to "assist in facilitating the development of a hotel on the property"

"Brown-Marx tower gets new owner"
Brent Godwin
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...new-owner.html

Behind paywall:

One of Birmingham's largest historic buildings has a new owner.

An entity that shares an address with the Georgia company that developed the Elyton Hotel has purchased the Brown-Marx tower, which sits on downtown Birmingham's famed "Heaviest Corner on Earth."

According to Jefferson County public records, an entity called Tupelo Hotels 1031 Acquisition II LLC recently purchased the Brown-Marx tower at 2008 First Ave. N. for $3.66 million. The same entity also bought the Allright Parking Deck at 1901 First Ave. N. for $1.59 million.

Tupelo Hotels 1031 Acquisition II LLC shares an address with Buford, Georgia-based Ascent Hospitality, which developed the Elyton Hotel at the historic Empire Building at 1928 First Ave. N., located across the street from Brown-Marx.

Representatives of Ascent Hospitality did not immediately respond to a BBJ request for comment about plans for the 16-story, 193,000-square-foot tower.

Last edited by MagicCityMick; Jan 24, 2018 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Nice to see a newcomer Mick! Welcome to the forum!!!!

I am very happy to see that the Brown-Marx Building has been bought by the same entity that redeveloped the Empire Building. Who knows what will happen, but I anticipate an announcement soon.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:13 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, I would hope that the entity that bought the Brown-Marx Building has plans for either lofts/apartments/condos and NOT offices. The city center will be soon flooded with a huge amount of office space in the Harbert Plaza and AT&T City Center buildings.

I don't anticipate that Brown-Marx will become office space, and I trust that the new owners know of the vacancies that are to come.

Considering all of this, what could the buyer possibly want to do with Brown-Marx?

I think it would be wonderful if it would be another hotel (benefits the BJCC and other downtown attractions). But I think the current number of hotel rooms in downtown is at a level that it adequately serves those who want to visit downtown attractions.

SO, I wonder, what else do these new owners think this magnificent is fit for? Of course, it could simply be an investment. But, a sale so close (time-wise) to the opening and renovation of hotels at the Heaviest Corner might mean something big (WHICH I HOPE IS THE CASE).

In my estimation, I think we'll hear something within a few weeks. I don't think these investors want to sit on this too long.

Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:27 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, US Steel is going to build a new storage/distribution facility along Lakeshore (near the Dollar General facility). LINK

Also, very pleased to see how close this is to Bessemer, with easy access to poorer parts of the City of Birmingham.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 1:23 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Brown-Marx Building could become a hotel

Building has a new owner. The 101+ year old building could be the last at "The Heaviest Corner on Earth" to be put to modern use. The Empire Building was, of course, recently renovated and became the Elyton Hotel. If Brown-Marx were to also be renovated for the same purpose, this would do much in reducing the amount of vacant, derelict floor space in the center of the Magic City. It would be the 3rd derelict high rise in downtown Birmingham to be renovated for 100% use (other two are TJ Tower and Empire Building (Elyton Hotel)). Other derelict high rises in downtown include the former Liberty National building (which is currently in a state of maintenance with the current owner exploring potential developments) and the Stonewall Building.

Over the past few years, the number of derelict high rises in downtown Birmingham has been reduced from 5 to 3, and a renovation of Brown-Marx would bring that down to 2.

Good thing the State renewed the historical tax credit program...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:07 PM

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...art_river_home
This looks like an awesome project. Could not get a better picture, it was behind the BBJ paywall.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...art_river_home
This looks like an awesome project. Could not get a better picture, it was behind the BBJ paywall.
Here is the website for the project with some photos in a slideshow
http://denhambldg.com/

http://denhambldg.com/wp-content/upl...-Floorplan.pdf

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad0022 View Post
Here is the website for the project with some photos in a slideshow
http://denhambldg.com/

http://denhambldg.com/wp-content/upl...-Floorplan.pdf
Wow!! thank you. I did not see those.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 9:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Well, looks like we've gotten an answer on whether or not momentum would continue in downtown following the state legislature's covfefe with the historic tax credit program.

If both The Denham and Brown-Marx come to fruition downtown is going to be in need of more service businesses, and that'll just keep the ball rolling.

Be nice if the BJCTA would hurry up with the BRT...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:20 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Per the BBJ and AL.com, Birmingham's inter-modal facility is now receiving Amtrak passengers, Megasbus, too. Greyhound will follow later this month.

I'm glad that Amtrak passengers will have a comfortable setting to wait in, that has amenities that were impossible to provide in the previous excuse for a station.

I really hope that the BJCTA's construction of the MAX terminal along with the Birmingham Intermodal facility will inject our public transit system with more passengers. Once the BRT line is constructed, we'll truly be able to tell if Birmingham can be a successful mass transit city.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Per the BBJ and AL.com, Birmingham's inter-modal facility is now receiving Amtrak passengers, Megasbus, too. Greyhound will follow later this month.

I'm glad that Amtrak passengers will have a comfortable setting to wait in, that has amenities that were impossible to provide in the previous excuse for a station.

I really hope that the BJCTA's construction of the MAX terminal along with the Birmingham Intermodal facility will inject our public transit system with more passengers. Once the BRT line is constructed, we'll truly be able to tell if Birmingham can be a successful mass transit city.
Hopefully we can get Amtrak's Gulf Breeze to run through here again. I had read that Birmingham was in talks with Amtrak to do this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast