HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
It really depends on how they are done. Arlington is a horrible example because Cowboys Stadium, the Ballpark, and Six Flags were all built with Rhode Island-sized parking lots on every side. Not to mention, Arlington is largely suburban sprawl to begin with. Even on a good day, it takes a good bit to get to downtown Fort Worth and even longer to get to downtown Dallas. There's no rail link (TRE is a good bit north of there) and there's no plan for one in the immediate future. Arlington, for whatever reason, opposed the TRE going through their city at the time it was built, if I remember right. FC Dallas' choice of Frisco for their stadium is equally bad, in my opinion, though in fairness the metroplex is developing (and getting more dense) to the north...it's still sprawl for now, though, and will take years (decades) to truly densify that far north. Houston did well for the Dynamo to have their stadium right next to the CBD. It's a fantastic stadium and adds to the neighborhood.

Riverside is relatively close to downtown Austin and makes more sense for natural expansion of development into that area - and it's already begun. If large venues are done from the beginning with relating to the surrounding neighborhood(s) in mind (i.e., with ground-level retail, no acreage of surface parking lots...), then it can tie together pretty nicely and organically. The Detroit one, I think, is a great example. Public transportation, if done correctly (and if the general public sees it as advantageous to utilize it), can offset the need for so much parking to begin with.
I agree with most of what you have been posting, but how does somebody in Asia have so much insight as to what is going on in Austin?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 5:23 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I agree with most of what you have been posting, but how does somebody in Asia have so much insight as to what is going on in Austin?
Great question! I actually grew up in Austin and lived there until a few years ago, when I moved to Asia for work. All my family and friends are still in the Austin area and now I visit them as often as I'm able to get back across the ocean. I'm also a big fan of what's happening so I keep up with it through friends and online.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

TheCruiser on shaggy said that Clark Field is one spot that is being considered, and that the chilling station next to it would have to go as well.

Another poster threw out an idea, probably only half-seriously, but it's interesting. Build a new, much taller Jester Center/Dorm on Clark Field. Then tear down old Jester and build the basketball arena. I would love that. Jester is pretty terrible. It's a prison and ugly. Build a new highrise to replace it, then have an intimate arena right in the heart of campus next to a bunch of dorms. Perfect for Texas.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
TheCruiser on shaggy said that Clark Field is one spot that is being considered, and that the chilling station next to it would have to go as well.

Another poster threw out an idea, probably only half-seriously, but it's interesting. Build a new, much taller Jester Center/Dorm on Clark Field. Then tear down old Jester and build the basketball arena. I would love that. Jester is pretty terrible. It's a prison and ugly. Build a new highrise to replace it, then have an intimate arena right in the heart of campus next to a bunch of dorms. Perfect for Texas.
I would love that. Jester and Clark Field were both pretty run-down when I went to UT (graduated in 2009). Of course, I seriously doubt Jester will go anywhere. That's a pretty massive dorm to replace. A modern dorm would do UT well against all the newer and nicer apartments popping up in West Campus. It would probably cost over $200M to build something similar in size (room for over 3000 students).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:11 AM
Meh

I think the Dobie Center houses around 900. You would need around 3 1/2 Dobie sized towers to replace it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:21 AM

It's Texas....
Look at the football stadium.
Does anyone really think UT will build something smaller than the Erwin?
I hightly doubt it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:37 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's Texas....
Look at the football stadium.
Does anyone really think UT will build something smaller than the Erwin?
I hightly doubt it.
True, but with the exception of the past few years, they haven't had much trouble filling DKR. That said, whether they build something Erwin-sized or not, it will definitely be the Cowboys Stadium of college basketball...because it's Texas.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:41 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think the Dobie Center houses around 900. You would need around 3 1/2 Dobie sized towers to replace it.
I had a friend live in Dobie back in the early 2000s and, and if I remember his description of it at the time, it's not set up the same as a dorm (more like smaller apartments/student housing). For those of you who went to UT or are familiar, is that the case? And if so, a building with just dorm rooms, with two per room, should fit more into a space the size of Dobie. Just curious.

Side note - three or more towers would be kinda cool if done well. Agreed on it being a massive undertaking if it were to ever happen.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:56 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I had a friend live in Dobie back in the early 2000s and, and if I remember his description of it at the time, it's not set up the same as a dorm (more like smaller apartments/student housing). For those of you who went to UT or are familiar, is that the case? And if so, a building with just dorm rooms, with two per room, should fit more into a space the size of Dobie. Just curious.

Side note - three or more towers would be kinda cool if done well. Agreed on it being a massive undertaking if it were to ever happen.
tbqh, both Jester and Dobie need to be demolished completely and those beds replaced by further private investment in West Campus.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 7:06 AM

The AAC is surrounded by development. Victory Park is pretty hot right now with construction and has just had 3 highrises approved.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:44 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
The AAC is surrounded by development. Victory Park is pretty hot right now with construction and has just had 3 highrises approved.
Yes, AAC was built in Victory Park. Victory Park was going to happen whether or not AAC was built or not. I do not believe larger, taller buildings are being built in Victory Park just because AAC is there.

Suppose, put on your imagination hats, UT decided to build their new basketball arena in Mueller. Then suggest Mueller developed better because of it. Would it really? Mueller has been in planning long before UT sited our imaginary arena there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:24 PM

Not in favor of reducing # of dorms.
Reduceing the # of beds on campus means reducing the # of students who can afford an education. Never a good idea.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post

The idea that grew into Jester had its roots in the 1960s and a desire to establish a residential college within The University along the lines of the colleges at Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, etc. It would be self-contained and its residents would include both faculty and students. Most importantly, it would be co-ed. Guess what spiked that idea? But the idea persisted and, Texas being Texas, grew. Jester is what came out of it. At least that's my understanding.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I think you can have all of that, and not lose rooms, in a more dense cluster of taller buildings.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Jester is a massive doorm. I haven't been inside it but I heard you can easily get lost if your not familiar with it.

I have been inside Dobie several years ago visiting a friend. The room was small but it had a great view of DT. It's been renovated since so not sure how it looks inside now.

I still think building something like what Detroit is doing would really be nice. In fact you could essentially hide most of the arena with retail and restaurants built around it with a few floors of office space above.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
I would love that. Jester and Clark Field were both pretty run-down when I went to UT (graduated in 2009). Of course, I seriously doubt Jester will go anywhere. That's a pretty massive dorm to replace. A modern dorm would do UT well against all the newer and nicer apartments popping up in West Campus. It would probably cost over $200M to build something similar in size (room for over 3000 students).
Clark Field has actually been completely renovated since you've been on campus. It's now called Caven Lacrosse and Sports Center. We upgraded it with synthetic turf, new track, wifi, energy efficient lighting, scoreboards, support buildings. It is packed every night.

I do work for UT RecSports here at UT Austin, but I can't really express any opinions. Sorry! I am really excited for the future though!

Edit: reduced image size

Aerial of how it looks now:

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Jester is wrapping up a massive floor to floor renovation right now. Doubt it would go anywhere.

Jester east renovations are completely done and it is much nicer than before. They even cut some new windows in the hallways to add some light!

I believe all of the rooms were switched from built in furniture to movable furniture.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:02 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

That's good to hear re: Jester. Now tell them to upgrade the prison exterior.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:21 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That's actually awesome re: Jester. I take back my previous point. I do still think Dobie should be totally demolished.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:37 PM
Meh

I'd rather have Dobie than Jester, though, Dobie Center's street interaction needs work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin