HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 5:54 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Historic Resource Review Request for Response notice [PDF - small] for the Ankrom Moisan / Gerding Edlen NW Davis project. If you're a fan of background buildings, you're going to love how this design has evolved.
Decent infill, the design doesn't look embarrassing so it should fill in that block well.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:52 PM

The Portland Mercury has a blog post about the the Baggage and Carriage Building, which is now being market as Pine Street Market. A Historic Resource Review review has been filed, though it doesn't look like notices have been mailed yet. Not a lot of information on the website, but looks like it could be interesting:

Quote:
Pine Street Market will be a vibrant ground floor marketplace in Portland’s Skidmore-Old Town Historic District just blocks from the waterfront. The Market will be an open floor plan with six to ten retailers and a commercial kitchen. Similar to Melrose Market in Seattle, Gotham West in NYC or a smaller version of the Ferry Building in San Francisco, Pine Street Market will be a mix of high quality food, beverage and various sundries with indoor and outdoor seating. With vendors like a café, a flower shop, ice cream and a mix of food options the Market will serve the upper office floors as well as the surrounding growing office market.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:13 AM

That's so great to see this kind of proposal in the Skidmore area. It's such an underutilized part of downtown, but with so many beautiful historic buildings and the waterfront nearby. I remember the days of going to the "Quest" all ages nightclub there for '80s flashback nights, which were already happening by 1991... Nice to see some (hopefully) tlc for this building.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:27 PM

University of Oregon's new sports product program likely headed to Old Town
Sep 17, 2014, 4:50pm PDT
Matthew Kish
Staff Reporter- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1411067624

Quote:
The University of Oregon is on the verge of launching a new master's degree program in sport product management in Portland's Old Town neighborhood.

If approved as expected by the state, the program would launch in 2016.

The program is likely to be housed in a new $37 million Gerding Edlen development at the corner of Northwest First Avenue and Davis Street, near other University of Oregon programs in the White Stag building.

The White Stag building houses courses offered by the School of Architecture and Allied Arts, School of Journalism and Communication, School of Law, Academic Extension and the Library and Learning Commons.

The university's executive MBA program will move from the 200 Market Street building into 11,500-square-feet on the ground floor of the building when completed in 2016.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 7:01 PM

Old Town businesses are going to try out a protected bike lane the weekend of October 3-5.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:23 PM

That is so incredibly great. I'm hugely excited to see business groups pushing for the redesign of streets to less autocentric. (Similar thing to what happened on NE Multnomah actually).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 9:49 PM

I was looking through the intake list that bvpcvm posted, and noticed and Early Assistance COUCHS ADD, BLOCK 48 LOT 2&3. It took me a little time to work out what the property is, but it's the corner of NW Flanders & Broadway. Looking at Portland Maps, Harsch Investment Properpties own all but the NE quarter of that block. What really interested me however is that the applicant is Allied Works, one of Portland's most interesting architectural firms, but with little built work here in the city. They're currently working on the adaptive reuse of the old post office, for PNCA's new building. They also did Wieden & Kennedy's headquarters in the Pearl, and the Sokol Blosser winery. I'll be watching this with interest.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 5:14 AM
A before E

I would love to see Allied Works do an iconic building in downtown Portland, possibly even something that would show up in the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:27 AM

Not to get you too excited, but that site has a 350' height limit. However, if someone was looking to build a 350' building, I doubt that this site is the site that they would choose.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:55 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Not to get you too excited, but that site has a 350' height limit. However, if someone was looking to build a 350' building, I doubt that this site is the site that they would choose.
That does get me a little bit more excited, but we will just have to wait and see what reality brings us.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:38 AM

Public Notice for the Historic Resource Review for the Pine St market project.

Quote:
Adaptive reuse of Portland Historic Landmark United Carriage and Baggage Transfer Co. Building. The project intends to create an open retail marketplace at the ground floor with historic Class A office space on upper levels. Occupancy change from 'S-1' to 'B' on levels 2-3, occupancy to remain 'A' on level 1. New exterior elements are lighting and signage on the west and south facades. Exterior restoration to ground floor wood storefront systems and entries on the west and south facades. Exeterior maintenance on existing windows to be retained, paint, re-roof, and re-pointing of brick on east facade. Rooftop improvements are: new insulated skylight assembly, new operable windows in the existing skylight support walls and solar array.

Historic Resource Review is required because the property is a designated Portland historic landmark.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 7:31 AM

So that Allied Works project? This is the permit Design Review they've applied for:

Quote:
CORE & SHELL TI FOR PACIFIC NORTHWEST COLLEGE OF ART. INTERIOR - NEW RESTROOMS, STUDIOS & SHOP. EXTERIOR - WINDOWS & ENTRANCES W/ CANOPIES

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 5:00 PM
Karma Police

Looks like they're adding some extra studio space close to their new 511 building. Probably vacating their other 13th Ave building.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 7:12 PM

The new Arlene and Harold Schnitzer Center for Art and Design (the old post office) is going to be a massive expansion on what they have already. I wonder if construction is behind schedule, and they need to vacate NW 13th before their new home is (fully?) complete.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 7:34 PM

The photos are worth a click through.

Quote:
Historic downtown building to get $5M makeover (Photos)

Jon Bell

A historic downtown building that in its nearly 130-year history has been home to horses, logging supplies and teenage dance partiers will be remade into a food and retail marketplace topped with much-needed creative office space.

The Baggage and Carriage Building, located at the corner of Southwest Pine and Second and built in 1886, is now under the watch of Portland design-build firm Siteworks. The firm bought the building for $1.75 million and has a $5 million renovation planned.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:37 PM

Looks like another gap along Naito Parkway (Google Maps) might be filled in. Block 26 is owned by the Goodmans, and this weeks intake list has the following pre-application conference listed:

Quote:
Pre-application conference fo Type III Historic Resources Review for 6-story, 67,000 sqare foot, 70' tall building for vacation ownership units.
Owner is listed as Wyndham Worldwide Corporation, applicant as SERA.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:44 PM

Also on this weeks intake list for pre-application conference:

Quote:
Pre-application conference for proposed Type III Design review which includes renovation of a 5-story building, demo of an existing 2-story annex and development of 6-story building.
Site is 403 NW 5TH Ave (Google Maps). It's currently on the list of unsafe buildings, with the U sign, so great to see something might happen to it. Applicant is SERA. Looking at Portland Maps, Venerable Properties-who are well known for their historic preservation work-is part owner of the property.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:29 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

...vacation ownership units? Uhm... I guess it's better than a surface parking lot, but still... vacation ownership units?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:33 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

That sounds like excellent news! Renovation of a historic building, and getting rid of that ugly 2 story annex. Any chance they'll be building on the surface parking lot next door too?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:36 AM

We'll see when they publish the posting notice, but I doubt it, as the carparks either side of that building are in different ownership.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland