HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 1:44 AM

Portland Infill | North Portland

4040 N. Montana

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 1:16 AM

Does anyone know what in the hell is going on with the Backbridge Station condos on the two corners at Williams and Fremont? I thought they'd be nearing completion by now. Instead, there's just... nothing. I wrote to the developer and got no response. The Terroir restaurant going in to the Fremont/MLK LRS-designed piece-of-shit building *originally* was going in on the ground floor of Backbridge but pulled out due to "delays". Softening market at work?

I liked the design of these buildings. A lot.

Check this link out (completion March 2007?):
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...lww2t006a00001

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 1:38 AM

Don't forget all the projects at http://www.sakuraurbanconcepts.com

I wonder where exactly the Hakoya is going in in Boise. Williams/Shaver??? That would be great.

There was a recent write-up on pdxarchitecture about Sakura with some misinformation (i.e., the Hakoya being slated for Williams/Shaver rather than the Dekum Triangle) and unhappy comments.

I also heard word from an owner of Vendetta that a mixed-use building will be going up accross the street from them on the corner of Skidmore and Williams.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 5:05 AM

wow, i like all of those, especially the mado house.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

tworivers - I really agree with you. These are all great projects - you can see the one I like (above). This is exciting stuff, and I'm sure it will only get better the next 10+ years! Here's how to grow our own local architects...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 12:30 AM
BANNED

Portland Infill | North Portland

Mid-Rise Mississippi
Four Projects move forward to reshape district
By Jennifer de Thomas
St. Johns Sentinal

North Mississippi is soon to house more than 200 new condos and lofts in four separate mixed-use developments to begin construction in the next year. Some developments, such as the Lofts and Kurisu have seen vocal local criticism. Both those projects are within the Mississippi Historic Conservation District. The largest project by far is a development by Dallas-based Trammell Crow Company, and which has so far elicited no opposition from community activists though it is far larger in scope and scale than the two previous local projects. A fourth project, Château Mississippi, has just been announced that will turn the existing warehouse at the south end of the Historic Corridor into yet another retail and mixed-use loft space.

KURISU INTERNATIONAL
Local landscape architecture firm Kurisu International, best known for their therapeutic and Japanese garden designs, received a letter of approval from the Boise Neighborhood association to build the mixed-use Mississippi Garden Condominiums that will contain their new offices, lofts, and a public garden. In 2004 the firm bought six lots on the northeast corner of Mississippi and Shaver, a 5,000-square-foot area that holds the historic Mississippi Ballroom, a house built in the 1930s, a play area, a garden for the Native American Youth Association, and two empty lots. Their development plans were rejected by the Historic Landmarks Commission, despite the approval of the Boise Neighborhood Association. The subsequent appeal was also denied with the request by the city for additional comments that, according to city planner Justin Dollard, "would demonstrate a better response to the historic context of the site, specifically that it needs to incorporate historic details and must blend 'into' the neighborhood."

"It is an administrative decision that takes into account the zoning code and design guidelines," commented Dollard. "The vote count and letter of approval from the neighborhood association is nice to know, but without specific approval criteria we can only go by the zoning code and design guidelines."

"We believe we have met the criteria, albeit in a sophisticated way," countered Gabriel Dominek, project manager at Holst Architecture who designed the project. Given that the large amount of growth being experienced along the historic streetcar lines is a relatively new phenomena, both zoning officials and architects are sometimes struggling to keep up with the myriad of decisions and modifications to be met. "We're all inexperienced in dealing with these infill projects in historic conservation districts," continued Dominek.

"This developer [the Kurisu family] has shown themselves to be interested in community and a quality of development than simply the bottom line," continued Dominek. "Often, developments facing an intense design review go with an uninspired, milquetoast proposal to save time."

The penned decision, which remains in continuance, noted that "the building is modern, crisp, and with a highly legible expression of structure. The composition is an ambiguous, yet interesting expression … and as a whole is quite cohesive." The appeal denial, however, cited that the design does not clearly incorporate building design features characteristic of the area's historic commercial storefront architecture and that the mass, scale and materials of the building does not reduce the impact of the new development. Other contentious issues, including parking, were noted. A hearing is scheduled November 27.

MEGA BLOCK DEVELOPMENT
By far the largest development slated to date sits just outside of the Historic Conservation District at 3810 N. Mississippi. Trammel Crow, the Dallas-based international corporation, is proposing a six-story, 149-unit residential building with a retail courtyard and underground parking. Their final plan was presented at the latest Boise Neighborhood Association meeting.

CHATEAU MISSISSIPPI
Directly across the street from Trammell Crow's development is the latest proposed undertaking, "Chateau Mississippi," located at the current address of Chateau Edgewater, 3900 N. Mississippi. "One of the cool things about this project," said Terry Amundson, project architect and designer with Waterleaf Architecture, "is that the owners of the property are the ones developing it themselves." As established residents in the community, they are already conscious of the specific needs and character of the neighborhood. The success of their e-commerce and warehouse business has left them needing far less inventory space, leaving plenty of room for development. The preliminary design details a three-story, mixed-use development with retail, live/work, and office space. Retail spaces are proposed to front on North Mississippi and a total of five live/work units are proposed to be located behind the retail spaces abutting the alley. Both the retail and live/work spaces will have a mezzanine/loft. The third floor w
ill contain 10 small office suites.

The plan was presented at the last Boise Neighborhood Association meeting and will be submitted to the city for Historic Design review. Timelines for when the project will break ground are not yet projected.

The Boise Neighborhood Association's land use group members did not return phone calls concerning the latest design put forward for the Mega Block. "I suspect that there will be more information covered on both developments at the December meeting," commented Paige Coleman, BNA chair.

MISSISSIPPI LOFTS
The trigger development, Mississippi Lofts, located at 4138 N. Mississippi Avenue is turning a corrugated tin warehouse to mixed-use housing that will anchor the north end of the historic street and feature 32 residential lofts and locally owned retail stores. First-time developers Bill Jackson of Southeast Portland and David Yoho of Chicago bought the lot last summer and teamed with architect Peter Wilcox to transform the 15,000-square-foot lot into one of the greenest residential buildings in Portland. The initial design was rejected by the city and opposed by the members of the Portland Collective Housing, a nine-member co-op. After a trip back to the drawing board that pushed back the fourth floor to create a visual break and added details to mimic nearby buildings, the Historic Design Commission approved the plan. By next spring, new residents (one bedroom loft, $289K; two bedrooms, $100 shy of $400K) are expected to be setting up housekeeping.

"Count up the number of buildings that are planned for that street within the next five years - most of which are not in the historic district - and you see it will be a really different place" said Dominek. "It will be livelier, safer, better."

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 4:01 PM

why the almost abandoment of Alberta in favor of Mississippi? IMO Alberta was almost there, but had much potential for higher density infill to complete the street. All the momentum seems to have traveled over a few streets to MS in the last few years though.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 4:20 PM
Well designed mixed use

My first thoughts would be that Mississippi is very close to downtown and a little nicer than Alberta. Alberta is cool, but more spread out.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 10:47 AM

mississippi just happens to be were all the excitement is right now. alberta is still there and getting projects all the time but mississippi has the buzz. belmont and hawthorne are still pretty cool but they are established. nw 23rd is still hoppin but you hear more about the pearl because of all the development there. truth is there are projects slated for all these areas. even though you hear people moan about the job market, people still want to move here and new businesses open all the time. who knows where the next hot neighborhood will be. east burnside is growing, hollywood isn't just for older people anymore, north killingsworth is getting attention, 82nd is the new china town. you just can't predict where the action will be. maybe multnomah village or even beumont village will be next. it's not to late to move to lents.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 8:12 PM

Next hot area

Foster

Reasons:

Close in SE location

Easy to get downtown on Powell Bridge

Hawthorne bus runs on Foster (Frequent service)

A lot of on the sidewalk store fronts avail.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=5576425

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 1:16 PM

i would say hollywood and n killingsworth could both be big. they have some big attractors (MAX, PCC, Hollywood Theater) and have already seen some level of investment with PCC´s expansion of their campus, streetscape stuff, and the new McMenamins on Killingsworth, and projects like the Whole Foods in Hollywood or to a lesser extent 24 hr fitness

as for foster, it also has relatively low costs as a plus for it

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 5:08 PM
BANNED

St. Johns, Downtown Milwaukie, Clinton, & Kenton are my picks

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 1:52 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Foster? Felony Flats? You gotta be kidding. For-sale condos and methheads! Better have secure parking, otherwise you won't HAVE a car if you move into the hood!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:49 AM

^^^yeah I agree, Foster has a WAYS to go before it turns into the next Alberta.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:55 AM

I agree St John's will be a hotspot, while it is a distance from downtown and freeways & MAX (it does have the bridge and numerous bus lines), its biggest asset I think is its compact classic business district with small storefront retail. There are a few new buildings going up that appear to be "testing the waters." This neighborhood has a lot of potential though I'd guess its probably about 5 years away from being a hotspot.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 9:05 AM

killingsworth station still a go?

was curious about the corner of killingsworth and interstate in pdx and found this link at the pdc.http://www.pdc.us/ura/interstate/kil...rthstation.asp

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 3:11 PM

I'm sure the PDC is still working on it. In fact, I thought we had recently seen a new rendering for the Crown Motel lot. The original plan with the 'Go By Max' sign is no longer though.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 7:11 AM

Portland: Humboldt Gardens

Had to get out today with the weather being so nice and ended up tooling around N/NE on my two wheels where I discovered several blocks of fresh dirt fenced off with the signs of various firms attached. Naturally curious, it led me to the discovery on the Housing Authority of Portland website (www.hapdx.org) that the site in question, along N Vancouver between Alberta and Sumner, is getting a makeover a la New Columbia.

From the looks of it, construction will begin soon a project to add 130 units of housing, replacing the 90 or so originally there with a much nicer looking product while remaining affordable. My glance through the timeline showed that it should be done within a year or so. And finally, some images

Corner of Alberta and Vancouver

Site plan

I like the concept behind the overall plan and giving the budget constraints they are probably working under, I won't complain about the architecture. just nice to see this kind of reinvestment in areas where it is needed. for more information, go here: http://www.hapdx.org/humboldtgardens/index.html

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 4:56 AM

PDX - N Cathedral mixed-use

made of shipping containers:

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared....cfm?id=156740

sorry, make that N Decatur - perhaps a mod could change that?

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 2:25 PM

Absolutely brilliant!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland