HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 10:56 PM
Karma Police

Um, we already have three 500'+ towers, US Bank, Wells Fargo and KOIN.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 5:58 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Yeah, that should have read 750 footers. Not sure what I was thinking. The fact that we only have those three 500 footers is kind of my point about our lack of a skyline, especially since Big Pink sits so far off to the side in terms of the others. That's why Portland tends to be represented by KOIN and Wells Fargo.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 7:29 PM

The Huffinton Post made a list of "terribly overrated destinations" and Portland was mentioned ....in a positive light:

Overrated: Vancouver, BC:

Quote:
Instead, try In the Northwest, your top choice right now is definitely Portland. It is friendly, manageable, affordable; the food is really good, there's enough culture and nature and all that good stuff, without the traffic and grit and expense and hassle of Seattle. But mostly, it has a distinct character, a sense of place. Portland is downright agreeable. (It should also be mentioned that there are some very good strip clubs.)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:14 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Just read the article on huffpo.

Its really ironic, as I just took a vacation up in Vancouver 2 weekends ago - and I completely agree with the author!

It was actually kind of a boring visit, as beyond the really expensive architecture, there really wasn't much to do in the city beyond shopping at chain stores, eating really good chinese/japanese/korean food, or drinking coffee at starbucks or Tim Horton's. I think we ran across 3 bars/pubs the entire time we were there... kind of sad, really. I think Portland has many more options for food and drink nowadays... although not the quality or breadth of asian food that Vancouver has.

Our Powell's Books and their Granville Island are kind of a wash, tho.

Last edited by zilfondel; Apr 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:33 PM

We're very lucky here -- as much as I complain about things like the hordes of street kids or the lack of exciting high-rise architecture, Portland is a gem. Your comment about Vancouver's food scene reminded me of how many great independent restaurants, aside from the millions of food carts, have opened here recently - not eastside but downtown. Tasty & Alder, Picnic House, Rose & Raven, Little Bird, Brunch Box, Lardo .......... love this city. Same population as Vancouver, somethat smaller than Seattle, and while they have some great attributes that we lack, PDX has more character and sense of self than the others.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:17 PM

" CONGRATULATIONS, Portland! " It's great to see that SOMEPLACE, in America, hasn't succumbed to the onslaught and proliferation of mass chain fare and discount retailers. Even fashionable cities, like NYC and Chicago, aren't immune to the mass appeal and influence of chain outlets like Starbucks and ' cheap chic ' retailers like Target. If ' the City of Roses ' can hold on and retain it's distinctive retailers and unique eateries, after America tires of the ' big box ' and online shopping era, Portland may be at the forefront of the next retro shopping movement.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 5:31 AM

haha, portland has one of the highest starbucks densities in the world, and target's decision to build a store downtown was widely applauded in this forum.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 6:27 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

It'll be interesting to see if people still shop at those alternative places. I always try to encourage people to shop at the local hardware stores & lumber yards instead of home depot, for instance.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
It'll be interesting to see if people still shop at those alternative places. I always try to encourage people to shop at the local hardware stores & lumber yards instead of home depot, for instance.
Mr. Plywood rules.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
haha, portland has one of the highest starbucks densities in the world, and target's decision to build a store downtown was widely applauded in this forum.
I don't expect Portland to be IMMUNE to the ' big box ' and national chain craze. THAT would be unrealistic! After all, what town could go without a McDonalds or Pizza Hut? It's just great to hear of cities that appreciate and support their homegrown and regional establishments, while frequenting national franchises and mass-market retailers.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 5:23 PM

new pedestrian/bike street in Minneapolis to be named after PDX

New street in Minneapolis is proposed to be named Portland Avenue. It is to be a pedestrian/bike road that connects the new NFL Vikings Stadium with a new plaza/park. This was part of a winning proposal from a Student Urban Design Competition. See full article below. The map shows Portland Avenue in yellow.

http://urbanland.uli.org/Articles/2013/Apr/KruegerHines

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 5:43 PM

I think you're misinterpreting that, one of the main streets in the Minneapolis area is Portland Ave and Portland Ave South runs right through that project.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 6:51 PM

^^^ oops. nice catch. Well, it does sound like they are changing it a little to be more like Portland, ie. "Portland Ave pedestrian + bicycle experience".

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 7:10 AM

The future of Portland

So I was thinking about how Portland's building out, and part of me wonders if in 100 years it won't be divided like:

Downtown/NW Portland = Manhattan
SE Portland = Brooklyn
N Portland = Staten Island
West Side = Queens
NE Portland = Bronx
Vancouver = New Jersey

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:51 PM

i hope its lightly dense threw out the metro area and tigard gets a subway and oregon city gets light rail. kinda like canadian cities how theres a lot tall buildings in the suburbs

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:27 AM

The John Ross +100'

St. George Wharf Tower in London.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:21 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEORIA View Post
I don't expect Portland to be IMMUNE to the ' big box ' and national chain craze. THAT would be unrealistic! After all, what town could go without a McDonalds or Pizza Hut? It's just great to hear of cities that appreciate and support their homegrown and regional establishments, while frequenting national franchises and mass-market retailers.
Its funny you mention Pizza Hut. We have a Domino's pizza in downtown that has the highest # of solar panels for a tiny building of its size that I have ever seen -

http://www.neighborhoodnotes.com/new...strian_bridge/

Its crazy!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:23 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
I think you're misinterpreting that, one of the main streets in the Minneapolis area is Portland Ave and Portland Ave South runs right through that project.
Regardless, it is nice to see that they are paying homage to our fine city.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 3:20 AM

Interesting concept for that plot next to the new hotel from THA:

http://thaarchitecture.com/prospect-...am-hq-building

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Interesting concept for that plot next to the new hotel from THA:

http://thaarchitecture.com/prospect-...am-hq-building
That's actually pretty cool!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues