HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Would you visit the Canadian Museum for Human Rights or not?
Yes 51 72.86%
No 19 27.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the out cry over parcel 4 was that the city was pumping money into a mediocer privit development that was for rappid transit the water park woulda been a joke.......

anyhow goes to the other thread

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Absolutely. I lived in Winnipeg during much of its construction. It's an awesome building - almost something you'd expect to see in Spain.
You're thinking of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao I suppose.

Agreed about this building - looks really cool and a great addition for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yes and no. Yes, that building. But no in that my brain, for some reason, will not accept that Barcelona and Bilbao aren't the same thing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the out cry over parcel 4 was that the city was pumping money into a mediocer privit development that was for rappid transit the water park woulda been a joke.......

anyhow goes to the other thread
Who's post are you referencing 1ajs?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

parcle 4 is the lot across the st from the museum that the water park park proposal hotel crapola was discussed on previous page

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:52 PM

Quote:
parcle 4 is the lot across the st from the museum that the water park park proposal hotel crapola was discussed on previous page
Yeah, parcel 4 proposal, it was a load of BS..thx

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:16 PM
surely you agree with me

I think the point about the beaches was not that no other city has access to that kind of thing, but being 80kms from the 10th largest lake in the world is something that is not everywhere. Yes Toronto has the great lakes, but Toronto is the length of Europe away....for the middle of North America Manitoba's lakes are very unique and another draw to bring visitors....few may come specifically for that experience, but it adds to the draw....you cant find it in alberta, sask, Montana, N/S. Dakota, Montana Idaho...etc etc....

may not be the only big lakes and beaches in the world, but its hard to argue that it is not somewhat unique to a lot of people....I have friends in Calgary that have never been to a real beach....just like there are people in Winnipeg who have never seen a mountain.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 8:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I have friends in Calgary that have never been to a real beach....just like there are people in Winnipeg who have never seen a mountain.
Bingo. Riding Mountain and Sylvan Lake exist, but neither really stacks up against the real thing. And there's nothing wrong with either - but it's hard to explain to people what the difference is, sometimes.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 8:31 PM
Here and There

I drove by it on google earth the other day, so no need to visit.

Just kidding. Of course I will visit some day.......or would if I was there....what a silly question. haha.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:03 AM

The problem with Parcel four is that it was 1) a Canalta Inn, in the city's most prized parcel of land. 2) It was being endorsed and paid for (7 Million) by City Council and the Mayor who owns the Baseball Stadium across the street. 3) It was being proposed at 25 000 square ft. Which is essentially a glorified swimming pool with a slide. 4) They had the audacity to think that they could call that shit "World Class" without the citizens of Winnipeg knowing that the Mayor was trying to pull a fast one to get a hotel right beside his diamond.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 7:16 PM

When you finally thought the debate was over and the thread disappeared.....

Would you visit the Canadian Museum for Human Rights or Not?
Voters: 47
Yes 36 76.60%
No 11 23.40%

General interest is low (47 votes, 100's of registered posters daily) over a 1.5 month sample of posters
+75% would visit a Human Rights museum ( ...positive) but some may waiver on location, and only if in the city for some reason would visit it.

Over all low response, not a great deal of interest but I had hoped for more.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 1:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
This is really the point. Take Winnipeg out of the equation as a destination. Would you you go to a Human Rights museum in ( add city/town here ) or not, which has been one of the major issues surrounding it since it was planned. What If I put Ottawa, Saskatoon, Moncton as the location, but that's not the point, but it seems to be foremost on posters minds.
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying people are less likely to visit the museum from other parts of Canada, because it is in Winnipeg, or are you implying that as Winnipeggers, we are less likely that other cities to support the CMHR?

No offense, but since this is in the Canada section, the poll should have really been worded differently.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 4:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i didn't vote in this poll cause i find these threads to be anoying personaly

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I think the point about the beaches was not that no other city has access to that kind of thing, but being 80kms from the 10th largest lake in the world is something that is not everywhere. Yes Toronto has the great lakes, but Toronto is the length of Europe away....for the middle of North America Manitoba's lakes are very unique and another draw to bring visitors....few may come specifically for that experience, but it adds to the draw....you cant find it in alberta, sask, Montana, N/S. Dakota, Montana Idaho...etc etc....

may not be the only big lakes and beaches in the world, but its hard to argue that it is not somewhat unique to a lot of people....I have friends in Calgary that have never been to a real beach....just like there are people in Winnipeg who have never seen a mountain.

I really miss Manitoba summers. IMO, the lakes and beaches are one of the World's best kept secrets in terms of tourism. we should do a better job marketing the beaches in Manitoba to promote tourism.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying people are less likely to visit the museum from other parts of Canada, because it is in Winnipeg, or are you implying that as Winnipeggers, we are less likely that other cities to support the CMHR?

No offense, but since this is in the Canada section, the poll should have really been worded differently.

No offense taken. We had this discussion on the wording of polls some time back in this thread. I think as far as polls go the question was pretty straight forward and to the point.
and your quote on my comment was also discussed. I guess you'll have to formulate your own opinion on how people feel in general.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
i didn't vote in this poll cause i find these threads to be anoying personaly
I'm starting to get the same feeling.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
No offense taken. We had this discussion on the wording of polls some time back in this thread. I think as far as polls go the question was pretty straight forward and to the point.
and your quote on my comment was also discussed. I guess you'll have to formulate your own opinion on how people feel in general.

I think it's pretty fair to say that if people from other parts of Canada traveled to Winnipeg for a week or so to visit, most would want to see the CMHR, among other things. However, I don't think many Canadians outside of Manitoba would make a trip to Winnipeg just to see the museum.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 6:41 PM
BANNED

I've always found it ironic, that the Canadian Museum of Human Rights was built on old Indian burial grounds. Then again, a haunted museum sounds more enticing to visit.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I've always found it ironic, that the Canadian Museum of Human Rights was built on old Indian burial grounds. Then again, a haunted museum sounds more enticing to visit.
Actually, an archaeological investigation revealed a plethora of artifacts but no evidence that the site was ever used by Aboriginal people as a burial ground. The report was issued in August.

http://museumforhumanrights.ca/build...y#.UlyEx1C098E

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
I think it's pretty fair to say that if people from other parts of Canada traveled to Winnipeg for a week or so to visit, most would want to see the CMHR, among other things. However, I don't think many Canadians outside of Manitoba would make a trip to Winnipeg just to see the museum.
I think this is a fair analysis if someone followed the thread and posts made from individuals across Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada