HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:32 PM

Probably mentioned here before (or implied), but it's pretty clear from the H&M space, and the hallway to the new pedway, that Cornwall will be updating the entire mall's look with new tiling. There's a 5/8" rise to the tile in the new hallway, and to the tile outside H&M. If they were sticking with the existing flooring throughout the mall, I expect they would've taken the flooring in these spaces down by 5/8" to facilitate a flush install of the new tile (or at least creating a very gradual grade to even out the two surfaces without a noticeable transition).

This will be a nice upgrade - the current flooring dates the mall. No matter how many other updates they've done, that flooring screams out "1980s!"

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Probably mentioned here before (or implied), but it's pretty clear from the H&M space, and the hallway to the new pedway, that Cornwall will be updating the entire mall's look with new tiling. There's a 5/8" rise to the tile in the new hallway, and to the tile outside H&M. If they were sticking with the existing flooring throughout the mall, I expect they would've taken the flooring in these spaces down by 5/8" to facilitate a flush install of the new tile (or at least creating a very gradual grade to even out the two surfaces without a noticeable transition).

This will be a nice upgrade - the current flooring dates the mall. No matter how many other updates they've done, that flooring screams out "1980s!"
I agree! Could someone take pics of the tile comparison?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
My thoughts:

New tile throughout the mall would also allow for an easier match transition of flooring into the Sears redevelopment (hopefully continuing mall through to 11th Avenue Sears entrance that is.)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:

You took a measuring tape but no camera?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Haha Stormer

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
My measuring tape & camera are one and the same... my eyes.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to offload the images from my internal storage without corrupting them

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing as it's visible on both the main and second floor entrance to H & M. Just the pedway/hal alone looks much more modern. My only question would be, won't they run into transition issues going into all the store space?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:06 AM

Rezoning of current Costco site

I had heard rumours that the current Costco site was already purchased. Today a city rezoning sign is up on site. Didn't catch what it specifically said but hopefully that means it won't sit empty when Costco moves.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdave View Post
I had heard rumours that the current Costco site was already purchased. Today a city rezoning sign is up on site. Didn't catch what it specifically said but hopefully that means it won't sit empty when Costco moves.
It's not sold, but it is under contract. The potential buyer definitely has a plan for the site but it's dependent on rezoning and all the usual stipulations.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
It's not sold, but it is under contract. The potential buyer definitely has a plan for the site but it's dependent on rezoning and all the usual stipulations.
...which is contrary to the rezoning application which says there is no re-development plan. It also says the gas bar will be decommissioned, which is unfortunate given that it is pretty much brand new.

They are just replacing the very specific CZ Contract zoning with the standard and very broad MAC zoning.

http://www.regina.ca/opencms/export/...on-package.pdf

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I was wondering the same thing as it's visible on both the main and second floor entrance to H & M. Just the pedway/hal alone looks much more modern. My only question would be, won't they run into transition issues going into all the store space?
I suspect they figured it's better to deal with transition into stores & bring them up as stores renovate/update, than to continue with an extremely dated look in the mall's concourses.

Southland & Northgate both retiled over the years - I don't recall how they managed the transition into the stores (they may have had tiles to start with - so popped them off & installed new in their place... resulting in no change in height. Majority of Cornwall's floor isn't tile - so removing existing & replacing isn't an option).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:04 PM

I've got the scoop on what will be going on the old Costco site. A second floor will be added to accommodate a Whole Foods store above the IKEA. Some of the parking lot will be taken up by the indoor-outdoor waterpark and the new multiplex theatre. The old gas bar will become a pad site for the Cactus Club. There will also be a dog park and 1000 car underground parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
I've got the scoop on what will be going on the old Costco site. A second floor will be added to accommodate a Whole Foods store above the IKEA. Some of the parking lot will be taken up by the indoor-outdoor waterpark and the new multiplex theatre. The old gas bar will become a pad site for the Cactus Club. There will also be a dog park and 1000 car underground parking garage.
Where are the Olive Garden and Krispy Kreme donuts going?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:51 PM

Sears home stores last day will be Nov 26th....any idea what might go there? What are the rumors for the Costco site?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 10:37 PM

^^^^^^ Sears Home store, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Where are the Olive Garden and Krispy Kreme donuts going?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Here ya go.

You’ll notice at Tim’s and Telus, they’re using a different tile that the brown one they use in the rest of the mall - and this new tile is flush to the existing flooring. The area around H&M is a similar shade of tile - but it’s not flush - most obvious place is across from Calendar Club/ZamZam... if they weren’t retiling the main part of the mall, they wouldn’t have brought the new tile out in such an odd manner.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
...which is contrary to the rezoning application which says there is no re-development plan.
I have no specific knowledge on this but if Costco submitted the application then it would technically be correct since they have no redevelopment plans.

Moreover, I don't know if it would count as redevelopment if the new owners simply buy the building and start using it with only general modifications.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Here ya go.

You’ll notice at Tim’s and Telus, they’re using a different tile that the brown one they use in the rest of the mall - and this new tile is flush to the existing flooring. The area around H&M is a similar shade of tile - but it’s not flush - most obvious place is across from Calendar Club/ZamZam... if they weren’t retiling the main part of the mall, they wouldn’t have brought the new tile out in such an odd manner.
Thanks so the terrazo is likely to remain I assume?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:56 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Here ya go.

Is it black grouting at Tim's vs white elsewhere? Or is the grouting by Tim's just dirty?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks so the terrazo is likely to remain I assume?
Yes, that's my assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Is it black grouting at Tim's vs white elsewhere? Or is the grouting by Tim's just dirty?
I don't think it's black or dirty - I think it's roughly the same colour as elsewhere (grey-ish), just wet... it was being mopped as I took the picture

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan