HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Indeed they would. Because they were not born yesterday.

They know that first of all the market for sports networks is already close to being saturated. They also know that the network that promises awesome Canadian content in its application for a licence, will in short order come back to ask for a relaxing of its licence conditions for lots of Canadian content, citing economic pressures, and just end up competing with TSN and Sportsnet for the rights to the NHL and various American properties in the not-too-distant future.

Canadian Broadcasting 101.
Perfect, you're making my argument for me.

There's no demand for the kinds of things that so many here are yearning for.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
At the end of the day, as with anything else in life, if you want any given outcome then the solution is to build the case and the product so it seduces your intended audience. Things like the CFL may have seduced much of the country but it hasn't seduced Toronto (despite historically being popular here a few decades ago), if anything it is declining in attractiveness. Don't blame the customer, blame the marketers or the product, an approach that works in one place will not necessarily work in another, particularly when a market is already different and evolving as rapidly as the GTA.
Totally correct. The frustration a lot of my fellow CFL fans like to hurl at Torontonians should instead be put to the CFL and the Argos themselves. They made their bed and now they're lying in it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Perfect, you're making my argument for me.

There's no demand for the kinds of things that so many here are yearning for.
There is demand, its just that the suits in the boardrooms of TSN and Sportsnet seem to refuse to see it.

Also, from what I understand part of the CBC's mandate is to promote Canadian culture, not report on March Madness and the Rose Bowl.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Canadian pride in our dominance of the NHL is sacrosanct, but where do people think the players come from? Ontario is the most important breeding ground for hockey players in the world. This place is ground zero for hockey.

You'd think that would resonate with the Toronto media.
Total numbers, but not per capita, where Ontario comes in at number 4. Saskatchewan dominates per capita.

From HF Boards

1.Ontario- 209 players
2.Aberta- 91players
3.Quebec- 58 players
4. B.C.- 53 players
5. Sask- 50 players
6. Manitoba-29 players

Per capita- NHL players produced per 100,000 people (used current populations) (2009)

1. Saskatchewan- 4.76 players/100,000 residents
2. Manitoba------ 2.63 players/100,000 residents
3. Alberta-------- 2.46 players/100,000 residents
4. Ontario-------- 1.58 players/100,000 residents
5. British Columbia-1.18 players/100,000 residents
6. Quebec-------- 0.73 players/100,000 residents

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
There is demand, its just that the suits in the boardrooms of TSN and Sportsnet seem to refuse to see it.

Also, from what I understand part of the CBC's mandate is to promote Canadian culture, not report on March Madness and the Rose Bowl.
CBC's mandate includes reporting the news.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
CBC's mandate includes reporting the news.
Thats a bit of reach there son. March Madness and Rose Bowl are not news.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Thats a bit of reach there son. March Madness and Rose Bowl are not news.
Sports news is news. March Madness and the Rose Bowl are both major sporting events that warrant news coverage.

There's nothing in the CBC's mandate that states they can't report on things going on outside the borders of Canada.

If you have some sort of ideological opposition to the existence of the CBC, fine. If you have some sort of odd notion that they shouldn't be reporting sports, fine.

But if you believe CBC News should also report sports news, and you're upset that they report sports news, then that's inconsistent and juvenile.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 12:31 AM

Here's the CBC sports page.

As of 5:23 MT, the stories on the site include: a live link to Hockey Night in Canada's broadcast, headlines including "Marianne St-Gelais closing in on short track world title", a Live Blog from the Brier, "Canada's Kevin Koe advances to Brier semifinal", "Canada's Adam Hadwin shoots 67 to open 4-shot lead in Valspar", "RECAP Canada falls to 0-2 at World Baseball Classic". "Canadian snowboarder Laurie Blouin wins slopestyle world title", "McMorris edges Parrot for gold in X Games big air", "Canada clinches spot in Rugby 7s Cup competition with win over Russia", "VIDEO Building A Snowboarder's Dream video".

There's a ticker on the side with live scores from the NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS, and the Premier League, a TV schedule that includes: NHL, and freestyle skiing.

A few videos to choose from, covering the following sports: speed skating, snowboarding, hockey and hockey.

Their three "Most Viewed" stories are all about the Brier, then the other two are about cross-country skiing, and hockey.

The specific sections on offer that include their own news pages: Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics, NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, Tennis, Golf, CFL, Soccer.

So, am I missing something here?

What is the CBC neglecting?

What is the CBC sports page covering that shouldn't be covered?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 1:02 AM

While basketball talent from this country appears to be growing to an unprecedented level, the same sure cannot be said for the talent in baseball. It peaked around 10 years ago. I looked at the roster on the Canadian team for the World Baseball Classic and yikes, I thought they would be lucky to win one game in the preliminary round. So far 0-2.

Contrast that to ten to fifteen years ago, when Canada produced some top-notch up-and-coming players both on the mound and in the field. A lot of that talent is now out of the MLB baseball, or well past it's prime. The replacements for the most part are fringe players on the clubs.

I'm not sure if this country will ever reach that critical mass of talent again? Maybe, if the Expos come back interest in baseball will increase and trickle down to the grassroots level and more athletes will choose baseball as their primary sport.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 1:42 AM

I was absolutely shocked to see highlights of our loss to Colombia and Eric friggin Gagne pitching....good gravy. Is this 2003?

Perhaps the current round of success the Jays are going through will lead to more youngsters taking up the sport. It's really an ideal game for kids...cheap, relatively easy, there are ball diamonds in every neighbourhood, etc. Who doesn't love playing ball?

It is my impression (haven't really been following it) that the top guys aren't in the WBC, which is a crying shame.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Sports news is news. March Madness and the Rose Bowl are both major sporting events that warrant news coverage.

There's nothing in the CBC's mandate that states they can't report on things going on outside the borders of Canada.

If you have some sort of ideological opposition to the existence of the CBC, fine. If you have some sort of odd notion that they shouldn't be reporting sports, fine.

But if you believe CBC News should also report sports news, and you're upset that they report sports news, then that's inconsistent and juvenile.
March Madness and the Rose Bowl are covered extensively by TSN, Sportsnet, all the US networks (that 100% of Canadians who have cable have access to). CBC devoting coverage to those events is a little redundant don't you think?

And just because I lean right of centre doesn't mean I'm advocating for the demise of the CBC.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:19 AM

Quote:
March Madness and the Rose Bowl are covered extensively by TSN, Sportsnet, all the US networks (that 100% of Canadians who have cable have access to). CBC devoting coverage to those events is a little redundant don't you think?

And just because I lean right of centre doesn't mean I'm advocating for the demise of the CBC.
By that logic CBC shouldn't be covering the World Cup, the NHL, the NFL, the Olympics, the NBA playoffs, the World Series, the UEFA Euros, the big curling tournaments, the Blue Jays, or anything else being extensively covered by other networks.

I find this especially odd since you're literally complaining about a news network covering sports. This isn't a sports network, and the people who watch CBC News Network in the morning are less likely to be flipping over to TSN or Sportsnet, so for a lot of these folks, the CBC is the sole source of sports news that they get.

That necessitates the broad range of sports coverage that the CBC provides, as can be evidenced by the link I provided to their sports page.

Also...what "devoted coverage" are we really talking about here? CBC doesn't broadcast these things, they just show highlights (likely taking anywhere from thirty seconds to a minute), like they do for everything else. The federal case being made about this is just insanely bizarre.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Here's the CBC sports page.

As of 5:23 MT, the stories on the site include: a live link to Hockey Night in Canada's broadcast, headlines including "Marianne St-Gelais closing in on short track world title", a Live Blog from the Brier, "Canada's Kevin Koe advances to Brier semifinal", "Canada's Adam Hadwin shoots 67 to open 4-shot lead in Valspar", "RECAP Canada falls to 0-2 at World Baseball Classic". "Canadian snowboarder Laurie Blouin wins slopestyle world title", "McMorris edges Parrot for gold in X Games big air", "Canada clinches spot in Rugby 7s Cup competition with win over Russia", "VIDEO Building A Snowboarder's Dream video".

There's a ticker on the side with live scores from the NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS, and the Premier League, a TV schedule that includes: NHL, and freestyle skiing.

A few videos to choose from, covering the following sports: speed skating, snowboarding, hockey and hockey.

Their three "Most Viewed" stories are all about the Brier, then the other two are about cross-country skiing, and hockey.

The specific sections on offer that include their own news pages: Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics, NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, Tennis, Golf, CFL, Soccer.

So, am I missing something here?

What is the CBC neglecting?

What is the CBC sports page covering that shouldn't be covered?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports
Canadian Universities (USports) are holding their basketball championships this weekend and not a peep from the "National" broadcaster.
http://en.usports.ca/landing/index

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
By that logic CBC shouldn't be covering the World Cup, the NHL, the NFL, the Olympics, the NBA playoffs, the World Series, the UEFA Euros, the big curling tournaments, the Blue Jays, or anything else being extensively covered by other networks.

I find this especially odd since you're literally complaining about a news network covering sports. This isn't a sports network, and the people who watch CBC News Network in the morning are less likely to be flipping over to TSN or Sportsnet, so for a lot of these folks, the CBC is the sole source of sports news that they get.

That necessitates the broad range of sports coverage that the CBC provides, as can be evidenced by the link I provided to their sports page.

Also...what "devoted coverage" are we really talking about here? CBC doesn't broadcast these things, they just show highlights (likely taking anywhere from thirty seconds to a minute), like they do for everything else. The federal case being made about this is just insanely bizarre.
No, your insanely passionate defence of the CBC ignoring high level domestic sporting events is what's bizarre.

Have a good evening.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:25 AM

You'd never hear an argument that, say, CBC News shouldn't cover political developments that can also be found live on CPAC, or shouldn't be engaging in journalism that competes directly against the likes of CTV, or providing online content for their readers that touches on the same topics that you can find on the Globe and Mail, Macleans or the National Post. But for some reason, CBC News showing sports highlights that could also be found on TSN is wrong?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
No, your insanely passionate defence of the CBC ignoring high level domestic sporting events is what's bizarre.

Have a good evening.
Which high level domestic sporting events are being ignored?

Look at the link I just provided you. The Brier is the biggest thing going on with CBC Sports right now.

Your insanely passionate offence at the CBC covering sports is what's bizarre.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:31 AM

Delete

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Canadian Universities (USports) are holding their basketball championships this weekend and not a peep from the "National" broadcaster.
http://en.usports.ca/landing/index
Wrong

The fact that there are also zero comments on this article and a grand total of ONE social media share shows you how excited Canadians are about this tournament.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...inos-1.4018446

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
And before people pretend that the CBC has ignored this USports basketball thing that nobody outside of the Maritimes or Ottawa has heard of, here you go, a story about it. Look at that.

Must of had someone creeping this thread. LOL!

Look, you don't seem to give a shit about Canadian University Sport gaining a wider audience in Canada. Thats your right as a free person. I couldn't give two shits about the Jays or Raptors and my interest in the NHL is waning by the day.
I just believe that the National Broadcaster should highlight domestic over non-domestic. I'm likely in the minority and I'm fine with that.
You can believe whatever you want.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Wrong

The fact that there are also zero comments on this article and a grand total of ONE social media share shows you how excited Canadians are about this tournament.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada