HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Thanks for the map.

Area 4 is likely to be mostly power centre from what I've heard, think Costco and Walmart as anchor tenants.
This came up last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
It's a fantastic opportunity. There is very little commercial/retail space on that edge of the City south of the Elbow especially.

The large blue building in the middle says 1.125million sqft. I assume that is an indoor mall. I also assume this is still projected or provisional at this time, given that there are 2 images on that site that shows 2 different configurations for this site.

Also interesting is that the building on the bottom right-hand side is over the Weaselhead parking lot. This is an interesting parcel of land in that it is owned (possibly contested) by the City of Calgary but it is technically NOT within the city limits. There was a land deal in the 1970s and a jurisdictional issue in the 1990s that led to this situation. That will be a very interesting situation to watch if the Nation is seeking its return.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
I have had a crazy amount of hits on my blog this week, specifically regarding the bid process and companies that are pitching for the SW Ring Road contract. Does anyone know of anything going on right now in regards to that process? It can't be a coincidence.
Close to the award time I think. Could be potential subcontractors?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
It does look like a few potential contracting companies searching. Interesting that it's all taking off in the last few days since the award isn't for a few months.
I've heard a consortium of 3 companies was notified on Wednesday this week that they've been awarded the contract.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Huh. If that's true, then I think I might know who got it based on these hits. I might have to do some digging...

EDIT: Status up on monday, but spiked wednesday.
Well then, let the cat outta the bag!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Huh. If that's true, then I think I might know who got it based on these hits. I might have to do some digging...

EDIT: Status up on monday, but spiked wednesday.
Just looked at the bidding groups on your blog, I believe its the Mountain View Partners group that won if the info is correct.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 6:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Thanks for the map.

Area 4 is likely to be mostly power centre from what I've heard, think Costco and Walmart as anchor tenants.
Just what the Weaslehead needs, big box stores lining the reservoir. How depressing.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Where did this picture originate? I ask because I'm pretty sure the mall is an outline of Cross Iron Mills. I fly over Cross Iron all the time on the way into or out of the new runway.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 12:08 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Just what the Weaslehead needs, big box stores lining the reservoir. How depressing.
Not that I'm a big box store kind of shopper and certainly I do despise these power centers but where would you propose a Costco and Walmart go in that area because we all know that they'll both be busy as ever if built.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 2:02 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Not that I'm a big box store kind of shopper and certainly I do despise these power centers but where would you propose a Costco and Walmart go in that area because we all know that they'll both be busy as ever if built.
The FN can do whatever it wants with their lands, but the traffic spillover effects will bug the Lakeview community to no end if the road network isn't designed right. I am a big box shopper now that I've had a vehicle for the last two years and have no problem going beyond my area to shop. My car, my gas, my choice. A Wal-Mart would be good as long as it replaces the one at Westbrook. IMHO, that store has gone downhill lately. Not sure how much they have left on their mall lease though. For Wal-Mart, I shop at Deerfoot Meadows.

A Costco on the Tsuut'ina would be instantly busy, no question. Costco's in this city are a perpetual lineup. A line to park, a line to get in, a line to pay, a line to leave the warehouse and a line to leave the parking lot. But, people still shop there and I do....in Okotoks.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
The FN can do whatever it wants with their lands, but the traffic spillover effects will bug the Lakeview community to no end if the road network isn't designed right. I am a big box shopper now that I've had a vehicle for the last two years and have no problem going beyond my area to shop. My car, my gas, my choice. A Wal-Mart would be good as long as it replaces the one at Westbrook.
Just so we're clear, "Area 4" where mersar thinks the big box stores will be is the section between Anderson and Fish Creek.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 11:04 PM

Is there any more public consultation left for the SW Ring Road before construction begins? The reason I ask is that I have always held concerns about how the SW Ring Road will impact the Weaselhead natural area with the continuous sounds of traffic. During a recent trip through Poland, I noticed for most of places where their motorways span valleys of park land (similar to what will occur where the SW Ring Road crosses the Elbow River) they have made use of translucent noise barriers to significantly reduce the sound that travels up the valleys while maintaining the panoramic views from cars driving on the road. I don't know what the cost of installing these barriers might be but I think if they were installed along the eastern side of the bridge over the Elbow River as well as the approaches to the bridge it would go a long way to preserving the feeling of natural isolation that users of the Weaselhead currently enjoy. Is it too late for a modification like this to be made?

Example:

Source: http://motorwaycare.com/acrylic_barrier.html

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 3:15 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Seems like a good idea.
Like most everything - likely comes down to $$

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:27 PM

I don't know - Bowness Park last time I was there didn't have an excessive amount of noise and has what I gather to be a similar crossing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the Tsuut'ina Nation is going to announce their ring road-adjacent development plans today.
Promotional video for the development vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeeqlsXwQ0k

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 4:10 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.r View Post
Promotional video for the development vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeeqlsXwQ0k
The scale of the plans:

The only other thing I learned from the video was hearing Roy Whitney say Tsuut'ina, so maybe I'll pronounce that better. Otherwise, it's pretty generic and sketchy (sketchy as in little detail provided, not sketchy as in they're building a red light district).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:05 PM

That's massive in scope!

In tough economic times, I hope it goes well for the Tsuut'ina. Though, maybe the economy will be roaring again by the time construction is finished. It would be great for Calgary to see the Nation pull something like this off.

I work with a few of the Tsuut'ina. After talking to a them it's clear the tribe is still divided over this whole RR project for any number of reasons. Can't see it rising to the level where it would stop the RR. But a project like this is sure to stoke the fires of discontent even further.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:06 AM

If this was just a regular development, it would get blasted on this forum (rightfully) as just some more auto-oriented suburban developments. I hope it is able to offer more than that, but at the end of the day it's still a fringe development only accessible by a massive freeway with zero potential for development on one side of it (and little on the other sides). I don't see much to get excited by, but I'd love to be wrong.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 3:53 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

The conceptual plan is now available as a PDF.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
All images from the above video:

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
If this was just a regular development, it would get blasted on this forum (rightfully) as just some more auto-oriented suburban developments. I hope it is able to offer more than that, but at the end of the day it's still a fringe development only accessible by a massive freeway with zero potential for development on one side of it (and little on the other sides). I don't see much to get excited by, but I'd love to be wrong.
I'm with you. I don't see much more than destination retail being developed at the proposed nodes. Office parks? justnotgonnahappen.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure