HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Interested in my first DSLR, help please.

Hi guys, I've been a member here for years but have never ventured into this forum. I want to get a DSLR and learn some better photography. I was looking into the Nikon D40 as I want to be less than $500 on a camera. I noticed that not all deals ($335 for the D40) include lenses.

I have no experience outside of point and shoot, so this will be a learning experience, but also I want it to still keep me entertained. In other words, I don't want to buy a camera that I am going to want to replace in 3 months.

Are there other options I should look at?

Is the D40 not a good camera? (it looks half the size of most DSLR)

Where can I get the best price? Best buy is 499

How do I know when it doesn't come with a lens, and which lens (there seem to be a couple different options) is the one to get?

THANK YOU if you reply!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 10:35 PM

Hi,

I have a Nikon D40 and love it. For your first dSLR you can't ask for better. I don't know about the US...maybe Adorama? But here sometimes you can get it for 479 or 450.

A good book I'd recommend is Nikon D40 for Dummies, as well as Understanding Exposure to help understand concepts about the dSLRs.

The body usually doesn't matter as much as the lenses - so buy a D40 and just get wicked lenses. The way you can tell if the camera is coming with a lens or not is it will usually say "Body Only" if it is just the D40, or with [insert lens] ... usually the 18-55mm one.

The thing I like about the D40 is it gives you helpful information like when it's too dark (in exposure, meaning it is under exposed) also has a picture in the LCD that shows how wide the aperture and shutter is, which you wouldn't get with other cameras - you'd just need to know what the numbers mean. The D40 still shows the numbers but for learning it's easier with the picture because it goes in ways you wouldn't think.

If you want to look at other cameras look at the Nikon D60 or the Canon Rebel XS.

It is a bit of a learning curve, but put in the effort and you will get fantastic results. As it may be a little intimidating at first, you may just want to stick with auto modes and just gradually play with more priority or manual modes.

It's a great camera, you won't be dissapointed, again it's more the lenses that matter.

EE.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 10:38 PM
BANNED

thanks!

If there really are only two options for $500 SLR cameras, I'll just get this one.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 10:42 PM

There isn't any SLR that is 500 dollars with a lens other than the D40. The other two are around 600.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 10:54 PM
BANNED

so is it the cheapest because it isn't as good? Would I be better off saving more money and buying a 1DS or something like that? or would I not know what to do with a camera like tht?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 11:06 PM

No it's cheaper to appeal to a demographic that usually wouldn't be able to afford a dSLR. It's a great quality camera, as are all of Nikon's. Really that 150 or so dollars you'd be spending extra for say a D60 you could instead:

1) Get the camera sooner, and start learning sooner
2) Have money left over for a fair telephoto lens in addition, or anything else you wanna buy such as a additional battery or SD cards, etc.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

for dslr's under 500$ theres quit e a few hell u might be able to get one under 400$

olympus nikon pentax and canon watch them go feel them in ur hands then decide witch one u want cause if it does not feel right ur wasteing ur money

ur wasting ur money buying a 1ds ur better off starting at a lower end model and learning then upgrade later on down the road other wise u got a big hulking camera u barly know how to use and just get confused... and on that note u minus well buy something in the cheap end of the scale then u can go on and upgrade when ur ready and the lens work between the higher end cameras and the lower end ones

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 9:00 AM

All I can say is I'm very happy with my D40. I agree with what edmontonenthusiast says. Because of the low price, I had money over to buy a small compact camera that I wanted as a complementary camera. I've also been thinking of buying an additional lens, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:44 PM
Mooderator

I've got the D40x (same thing, just more megapixels), but I opted for the 18-135 mm lens because there was a deal on at the time. The kit lens (18-55) is good for everyday shooting but if you like to take telephoto shots I'd highly recommend the upgrade.

Canon also has some spectacular deals on the XS as EE said.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:58 PM

^I'd love a 18-135 mm, but it's to much money...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 4:24 PM
BANNED

I got a camera yestarday and love it. It is a 5 year old D100 and I got a Sigma 70-300 lens to go with it as well as the normal one. With card, two batteries, charger, box and all documentation, it cost me $400

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:49 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

the Sigma 70-300 is good, i have it also for my D50

example pic:

http://i41.tinypic.com/o02tl2.jpg

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography