HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
A while ago I had heard that it took so much business from the Moncton store that the Moncton Costco was the lowest grossing store in the country. Not sure if that is still accurate.
I am quite sure that rumour is false. It's difficult finding a parking space most days, and I have heard that the Moncton store is busier than either Freddy or SJ.

I guess that's the thing about rumours though - unsubstantiated, unreliable and frequently false.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:33 PM

EDIT - Question revoked... found out it's the corner of McAllister and Westmorland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
On another note - I see the Mary Browns signage is up and the Sleep Country store is coming along - good to see some activity at that corner!
Can you elaborate what corner this is? News of a Mary Browns, you say?

This news would be.... significant for me and my nutritional plan!

Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:56 AM

Great to see another High tech company setting up in the city and adding jobs. Appnovation is adding 63 jobs to the local company and setting up shop in Uptown Saint john.

More great news!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:59 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
And now I am blaming the Irvings......really? I just said that Costco do not use Irving gas. I found this hard to believe and thought perhaps Costco and Irving could work something out?
I seem to recall a discussion in this thread (or the retail one) prior to Costco opening that Irving strong-armed Costco to prevent them from opening a gasbar in SJ by some means or another. If anyone can shed any light on this then by all means.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I seem to recall a discussion in this thread (or the retail one) prior to Costco opening that Irving strong-armed Costco to prevent them from opening a gasbar in SJ by some means or another. If anyone can shed any light on this then by all means.
This because Costco doesn't buy gas from Irving. It is trucked in from Quebec. Much cheaper too. Just shows how Irving controls things here.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 8:07 PM

Should be no surprises here; monopolies stunt growth and diversity.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
This because Costco doesn't buy gas from Irving. It is trucked in from Quebec. Much cheaper too. Just shows how Irving controls things here.
I think this is a bit far fetched. Do we really think Irving is that worried about a single Costco gas bar in one city? Why didn't they fight one in Fredericton?

A single Costco gas bar in Saint John would cut into sales at all other gas bars in the city but this would be so insignificant to the Irving empire it would not be worth the fight.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
I don't know what the brand is, but the change was very distinct. The Empire popcorn was fairly tasty, and the "butter-flavoured topping" from the dispensers I found was better than real butter.

The Cineplex popcorn is more like a bag of salt with some popcorn on the side; it's disgusting. And the topping is now just flavourless oil. It's terrible.

As for the leasing situations; I'm not sure. Neither of Saint John's theatres are in major malls, but they are in those sort of outdoor mall plaza locations. I imagine that they have leases from the parent companies of those plazas.
I can see this happening - the current Empire/Cineplex on McAllister is in need of a renovation and there has been no progress on rebranding the location as a Cineplex.

The Cineplex at Champlain Place (and perhaps Trinity?) has been fully renovated with reclinable seats and state of the art projection tech, while the Saint John location hasn't had anything updated since they were equipped with 3D projection which was what, 2006?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 12:03 AM

Also, construction on the Starbucks on Fairville Blvd is coming along quite quickly. Building looks to be a bit large to be JUST a Starbucks - could possibly be split similar to how it is at East Point.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
I can see this happening - the current Empire/Cineplex on McAllister is in need of a renovation and there has been no progress on rebranding the location as a Cineplex.

The Cineplex at Champlain Place (and perhaps Trinity?) has been fully renovated with reclinable seats and state of the art projection tech, while the Saint John location hasn't had anything updated since they were equipped with 3D projection which was what, 2006?
Well doesn't this tell you something?
I am betting that the lease will be up soon. Perhaps they are in negotiation with the landord? I wouildn't worry too much over this.
If anything we need a bigger location. This is a very busy spot!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Well doesn't this tell you something?
I am betting that the lease will be up soon. Perhaps they are in negotiation with the landord? I wouildn't worry too much over this.
If anything we need a bigger location. This is a very busy spot!
If they were to relocate, I'd see them going to East Point...nice, dominant view. =)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:11 PM

Great to see the positive numbers from the port in the newspaper this morning. Container traffic is waaay up.

2013 saw a 48% increase to 76,000 tons and they are projecting to hit 90,000 tonnes this year and 125,000 tonnes in the near future.

This is fantastic!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 10:56 PM
Spem Reduxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
...2013 saw a 48% increase to 76,000 tons and they are projecting to hit 90,000 tonnes this year and 125,000 tonnes in the near future...
Here, here...great news indeed

I grabbed this quote from the Prince Rupert Port twitter account:
"Every 1M tonnes of new cargo at Canada's Port Authorities generates 300 new jobs"

Bring on the tonnage

I also found a cool YouTube video about Port Saint John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUfcCSFJ_EA

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:21 PM

Just thought I'd try kickstart some conversation in some of the Saint John threads....Is there really nothing to talk about these days?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:58 PM

I see work has started on the restaurant / bar project being done by Acre on Grannan Lane. Looks like it will be called "Port City Royal"
https://twitter.com/portcityroyal

Details were posted back in May -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
So... in actual development news, some renovations are in the works to convert the former Sunstar Lounge space at the corner of Germain and Grannan [Church] into a restaurant/bar space. As part of the work, the storefront and windows along Grannan will be restored and the whole thing generally spruced up. The images below are from the April HDB agenda:

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:21 AM
ハルウララ

I'm glad to see that end of Grannan Lane being occupied. It's been empty for too long.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:15 PM
ハルウララ

Progress!

Courtesy: @feelgoodsj

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 11:55 AM

Beginning to wonder if everyone in this city was out west working?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Beginning to wonder if everyone in this city was out west working?
Nobody that I know was. However, I know my family and friends have been kept busy lately with their careers within Saint John though.

Because we have not been on Skyscraperpage franticly refreshing every day, it automatically could mean we are all "Out West" being slaves in the oil industry? I think not.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 10:57 PM

Not much in the way of news lately. Sometimes though no news is good news. Business as usual for most of us I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces